Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #15

All good comments.

Mine drove like a truck until I

1. Adjusted the tire pressure to the capacity plate vs the sidewalls
2. Had the ride height adjusted.
3. Bought new tires- the older tire casings were stiff and new ones made a huge diff. (I went with Toyo M154's)

Now it drives like an RV- much cushier than a truck. Or at lest the Peterbuilt I drove coast to coast as a younger man.

Next is shocks and I'm vacillating between Koni FSD's and the mega bucks Road Kings.

The brakes on my Monterey were always strong, but tended to drag bit when hot until adjusted - a solid slam on the pedal will easily "lock em up".

The pac & trans combo is so strong I can basically drive in LA traffic with only occasional use of the brakes to come to a complete halt, if traffic is rolling at all I can one pedal drive all the way through town.

Technically the unit in the Marquis a "Hurricane" not an Aqua Hot and it was factory installed. The was by far the most troublesome component to get right.

What has helped me tremendously is finding a local service place that knows diesels, mortorhomes and know how to source parts according to my service guys almost all the chassis parts are basically big rig part- westport axles etc...

I would recommend looking at rvservice reviews in your area and establishing a relationship with a highly rated shop or individual who do a double check on it so you know what you are getting.

Not specific to Beaver is The basement vs roof air- with the nod going to the roof airs for both performance and serviceability.

Uncle Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #16

Good luck on your search for that perfect MH. I know that Beaver was on our short list of MH manufacturer's as well as Tiffin and Newmar. They made a nice coach and if it checks out ok I am sure you will be very happy with it. Best of luck.

myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #17

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. We have a lot to think about and investigate while looking at this coach.

Our short list is a Beaver & Newmar. If we decide against this Beaver we have a Newmar waiting in the wings😊. I am sure we will have a coach before long.

We are going to see about getting the coach into a shop for an inspection & possibly trying to stay in it overnight to check the systems if we can't get it in a shop. Would we be out of line to make this request?

This will be our first coach, just like everyone else we want to make the best decision we can. So please keep posting!
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a note here...

Dear friends have a 2006 Beaver Monterrey with a Caterpillar engine.

60,000 miles they had to pour 20,000 into it. Blew the turbocharger and it damaged some of the internal engine components as well.

I can't say to stay away from Cat engines, but those particular C-9 engines had trouble I believe.

I have no clue beyond that so don't take my word for it, but definitely would investigate further.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaOwen1 View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. We have a lot to think about and investigate while looking at this coach.

Our short list is a Beaver & Newmar. If we decide against this Beaver we have a Newmar waiting in the wings😊. I am sure we will have a coach before long.

We are going to see about getting the coach into a shop for an inspection & possibly trying to stay in it overnight to check the systems if we can't get it in a shop. Would we be out of line to make this request?

This will be our first coach, just like everyone else we want to make the best decision we can. So please keep posting!
I don't think that request is out of line.

(If I had it for sale) I would even rent my rig to a potential buyer for a short weekend trip with proof of Insurance and refund the rental if purchased.

Newmar makes a great coach and is on my short list along with Holiday Rambler and Tiffen.

You weren't specific on the year you said 10 years old that could be an 03-5.

Happy hunting!

UD
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Just a note here...

Dear friends have a 2006 Beaver Monterrey with a Caterpillar engine.

60,000 miles they had to pour 20,000 into it. Blew the turbocharger and it damaged some of the internal engine components as well.

I can't say to stay away from Cat engines, but those particular C-9 engines had trouble I believe.

I have no clue beyond that so don't take my word for it, but definitely would investigate further.
I too have heard 'rumours' of Cat problems and have nothing definitive to say on the subject except that Caterpillar no longer supply engines for RVs. Draw your own conclusions.

Also, when looking at the Beaver, check the steering wheel for excessive play. It may have the Sheppard steering gear and while it is 'fixable', it may also 'steer' you away from that deal (see what I did there)

See this thread... Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?

I'm getting my Sheppard swapped out for a TRW next week.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I too have heard 'rumours' of Cat problems and have nothing definitive to say on the subject except that Caterpillar no longer supply engines for RVs. Draw your own conclusions.

Also, when looking at the Beaver, check the steering wheel for excessive play. It may have the Sheppard steering gear and while it is 'fixable', it may also 'steer' you away from that deal (see what I did there)

See this thread... Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?

I'm getting my Sheppard swapped out for a TRW next week.
Didn't know about the steering box. Good info.

Theres always a few guys out there with every engine that had a problem.

I think the B50 spec on a 3126 is 500K- its a stout mill.

As for the road - Cats back. Not back to RV's yet, but I suspect that will be soon.
Cat | On-Highway Truck | Caterpillar

They reiterate here that they are still supporting all on road engines.

UD
Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

The Monterry is not in the same league as the Patriots and Marquis, but (back then) it had the lovely interior woodwork that Beaver was famous for before it became just another Monaco label. Friends owned a 2002 Monterrey and it was well built and well-equipped, with a 3126 Cat engine and Allison 3000 tranny.

Monaco became the owner of Beaver & Safari in 2002 and began "integrating" them with the Monaco production. By 2006, any vestige of a unique Beaver identity was gone, in my opinion. So the year of this particular Monterrey may be significant and an older one may be better than newer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I'm new to RVs but the three options I really like on our beaver is the Aqua Hot, air leveling and side radiator. Nothing really inherently wrong with a Beaver. Mine is made by Monaco so aside from mine having the Cat engine, it is basically the same as the Camelot or Scepter but with nicer wood (). They all use the same 'house' components anyway. My suggestion is to go with your heart/gut. If you like the way it looks and feels and it looks like it has been cared for...go for it.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll give you 'shinier wood' !
We looked at a couple of Beaver's, both a couple or three years older than yours, before we bought our Scepter.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #25

We have an 04 Beaver Monterey and love it. The older ones (before 05) are luxury. We do have a Hydro-Hot system and really like it. We have had it worked on once and I have learned to do most of the maintenance on it. Our Beaver has taken us all over the US (including Alaska). The only real problems have been: Changed the Norcold refrigerator guts to an Amish Unit, changed the engine brake to Jake's latest improved model, and had the Hydro-hot fixed. The rest of the stuff has been general maintenance. We also changed the muffler to the Aero, better mileage and love the sound. Our friends now call our MH the Monterey Thunder.

jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver