Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I have had popups, class c, and class A units both gas and diesel. By far we preferr our diesel pusher class A. The thing about a really good power train on a heavy frame makes all the difference in ride in the amount of weight you can carry and tow.

FYI We paid far far less than your budget for our unit, and have spent a few years upgrading the interior. Now with new floors, renewed bathroom, and window treatments and best of all no mortage. Your budget leaves you allot of room for a great decision. Good Luck JR

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
chazworth, I see you've gotten a lot of advice and opinions, so I'll keep mine short. We bought a used 2005 Newmar DSDP a few months ago and LOVE IT. To me there was no question since I was buying used, diesel all the way (in my opinion they hold up better). One thing to consider is support/service in your area. CW will work on any coach, but remember they are a Winnie/Itasca dealer. Maintenance on a diesel is more money, however a well maintained diesel will last for many many miles. Good luck!

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #17

If looking for a used diesel pusher, I am told there are many consignment dealers up and down the southern east coast, especially Florida. Also have heard that the consign dealers are open to almost and all offers, no matter how much off asking. There are many widows in your retirement communities looking to unload their like new rigs at a fraction of what it cost new or when purchased 2nd hand. For me, because I am not retired and more of a weekend warrior with a trip or two per season, gas makes more sense because of the many reasons pointed out in other posts, especially operate costs. Should the day come that DW and I decide to or are able to full time, there is no question in my mind that we would want to go DP then. But till then we are very happy with our Ford chassis V10 gasser that I do not need a death grip on the steering wheel to drive. One more point about DP's is that everyone talks about how long the last. A reasonable maitained diesel engine should last well in excess of 250,000 miles. I have never talked to or read of anyone that puts that kind of mileage on their rigs, and if so, how would the rest of the coach and its systems hold up? Or, would you simply tire of the rig and want a different one with perhaps diffenent ammenities? Think about it if you can on how long do you keep things before you tire of them and want a change. Your car buying would be a good place to look. Do you run them into the ground before replacing, or do you do 2 years leases because you like a new ride every couple of years? Again, reflect that back to a "long lasting diesel".
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for some very good responses. Our initial thoughts were a 10 yr old DP, but I usually keep my vehicles 10 years or more and that would make the coach approx.20 yrs. old when I was ready to trade. I look at 20 yr. old units now and am shocked at the condition of what I see. It looks like anything that old is basicly unsellable or has little value. Even a 7 yr. old unit now, would not be worth much 10 years. All this is disheartening. I do think that in 10 years, a 20 yr.old DP or a 17 yr. old Gasser will be worth about the same. So I'm back to square one with that thinking. Locally, there is one RV dealership that works on motorhomes and also one RV service center that works on any type or brand of RV. Both have pretty good reputations in this area. We will keep doing our research and taking our time. If anyone hears of an unbeatable deal somewhere in the southeast, let me know. Thanks.
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Chazwoth - My 34 years young GMC motor home was beautiful when I sold here 3 years ago. I have thought often of buying her back. I will send you pictures if you ask. Beautiful chrome, beautiful Rt 66 themed interior, tri color paint, and so on. If you think 20 year old coaches don't look good go find a well maintained Wanderlodge (the 36 SP's from approx 1992 have in many cases wonderful interiors + those might be one of the best most useful motor homes ever made. The modernist interiors are really something special on some of them.) Country Coaches from 20 years ago were beautiful, same with Beavers, many Monacos. When you get slightly newer the 1995-96 Country Coach Magna 36's are a beautiful useful size rig.

Some friends of ours have a 1996 National Dolphin. We caravan-ed with them in our RV club early this year. Their coach is in great shape and is a 36 footer. 170,000 miles on a gasser motor.

Our coach is 10 years old this year. Now that I have updated the TV's there is nothing I could gain from getting a brand new rig. Our paint looks like new and the interior leather furniture is just getting a good patina on it.

Just my opinion, but I would not worry about how long lasting the motors are. Both gas and diesel motors last a long time. The significant advantages of DP's are in the fact that the motor is 40 feet away from you and they have air ride.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just thought of another consideration....Slide-outs

Slides have been in premium coaches for a while, but became common in affordable RV's much later.

When we were looking, there were LOTS of affordable previously owned RV's (DP and conventional) that had no slide(s). To us that was a BIG DEAL, because of the amazing difference it makes to the interior space when parked.

Just another decision point for your hunt.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #21

B Bob, I was not trying to diss all older model motorhomes. In my area, I have looked at several like Pace Arrow, Winnie Brave that are of the early 90's vintage. All that I looked at were ragged out completely. I have not seen any of the coaches that you mentioned for sale anywhere near me. I would have to agree that a 92 to 95 high end DP coach with one slide that is in very good condition does sound appealing.
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #22

Chazworth - Sure, ragged out ones are ragged out coaches no matter what the age. Of all the improvements since 1995 that I think are significant, slide outs would be the most important. But slide outs have been with us now for near 20 years. So you can find a very nice year 2000 coach with slide outs.

Condition is key for coaches of near any age. We have a lot of mid range coaches in our little RV club and they have been well taken care of. Our friends with the older Dolphin 36' have one large deep slide out and it looks great. We have several 34-40' coaches in the 2000-2003 range that look almost new. These are Nationals and Fleetwoods. The approx 34' gasser coaches with one slide are particularly useful coaches and a very good value for the money.

You are in the east though, and the west is much dryer. So less water damage here. Although Arizona coaches if uncovered can really get worn exteriors.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
"Our initial thoughts were a 10 yr old DP, but I usually keep my vehicles 10 years or more and that would make the coach approx.20 yrs. old when I was ready to trade. I look at 20 yr. old units now and am shocked at the condition of what I see. It looks like anything that old is basicly unsellable or has little value"

In my experience, you are correct on the value of a 20 year old rig.

But, you are assuming that you will need to trade in 10 years for some reason.

If you maintain your rig well both cosmetically and mechanically, for what reason will you need another rig and therefore want to trade?

There is more depreciation in the first 7 years than there will be in the next 7 years. That is why we bought a seven year old rig, 10 years ago. Even the cost of a full body repaint might be less than one year's depreciation on a new rig in 10 years.

The things I sense we missed with our old rig 10 years ago were at least one slide out, a bigger engine, aqua hot, and possibly a longer coach. But we do not need those things, they would just be nice to have. They certainly would not add enough to our enjoyment to require changing our rig just because it was nearing 20 years old.

You do not know what you will be doing 10 years from now and you will lose less depreciated value during those 10 years with an older rig vs a newer rig. What is the negative in buying an older rig that is well maintained and preserved but has the features you need in a MH?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #24

from the outside a lot of older rigs look great. Its hard to tell how old they are. In my opinion though it when you go into something 10 years or older, they can look "OLD". That is why I am looking to move from my 2000 Allegro with only 32,000 miles. It just looks old inside.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

Vincee - when you buy your next RV try to buy something that will age well. Other than the TVs which we have already done, there is nothing that looks aged in our coach. I have seen some Bluebirds from the early 90's that look good today. And I have seen some Bluebirds from the early 90's that really look old.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Some friends of ours just bought a really nice Monaco Knight 40' DP at just a hair over your budget. It was a 2005. It was built in Indiana.
I don't know Bob.

Our Knight is an 08.

It came used, and with a 20 year mortgage.

I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
worth noting...

while a 33k diesel chassis and cat or cummind engine and allison trans is good for a million miles, the house part is pretty much the same, gasser or diesel, 65k new or 650k new... its all the same stuff.

My fight was that "it looks like my grammas hoousze inside" and that where i got the mortgage....

Slidouts came in in '99 or so, really big by '03...
They make a huge difference., They rarely fail. They rarely leak (in my expereince...)
Our knight is over 400 sf with all 4 slides out...

the maintenance issue is a non issue, if u can do it yourself...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
worth noting...

while a 33k diesel chassis and cat or cummind engine and allison trans is good for a million miles, the house part is pretty much the same, gasser or diesel, 65k new or 650k new... its all the same stuff.

My fight was that "it looks like my grammas hoousze inside" and that where i got the mortgage....

Slidouts came in in '99 or so, really big by '03...
They make a huge difference., They rarely fail. They rarely leak (in my expereince...)
Our knight is over 400 sf with all 4 slides out...

the maintenance issue is a non issue, if u can do it yourself...
I must agree with JimM68 on this one. We purchased a used 2004 DP. When we started looking all we seemed to see was "grandmas" interior design. Flowered furnuiture and ugly color combinations.

After almost a year of searching we got lucky and found a coach that suited our choice of interior.

Good luck on your search.