Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #29

I too have seen even some newer coaches that looked like my grandmother decorated the interior. My DW is a wiz at the sewing machine and I'm a pretty decent woodworker and general handyman. If an interior needs updating, I feel that we are up to the task. Does replacing the flooring in a motorhome require specialized knowledge, or can most home installers do the job?

chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth View Post
Does replacing the flooring in a motorhome require specialized knowledge, or can most home installers do the job?
I think most handymen could handle it. Do a search on the forum to get educated on what others have done first but it's not that tough.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #31

Last fall we were in the same situation as you are now. We were wanting to upgrade from an early 90's 36' class A. We had a similar budget in mind and were looking at 8-10 year old DP's. After evaluating our potential usage over the next 5-7 years we ended up buying a 2006 Windstar 37' on the Ford F53 22,000 lb chassis. Our coach only registered 10k miles and looked new in and out, and the floor plan was just what we were looking for, featuring the bath and 1/2 which is handy when Grand Daughters are with us. After a major 10 day trip in May pulling our Jeep Wrangler toad for 2000 miles we couldn't be happier. Plenty of power cruising the interstates and also in the Ozark mountains. Good luck with your search. You will find what you are looking for and it will feel right. Don't be afraid to do the deal when you find it. Getting on the road in your new to you coach feels great!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Our coach is 10 years old this year. Now that I have updated the TV's there is nothing I could gain from getting a brand new rig. Our paint looks like new and the interior leather furniture is just getting a good patina on it.

Just my opinion, but I would not worry about how long lasting the motors are. Both gas and diesel motors last a long time. The significant advantages of DP's are in the fact that the motor is 40 feet away from you and they have air ride.
Same here, except for replacing the main awning (need to call and see if it's in yet). Would have liked a Hydro-Hot though but Newmar refused to put it in when we ordered our DSDP in 2002. Said they didn't want to dilute the lines, now DSDP's come with it and can be upgraded to the diesel unit.
Just replaced one chair and the couch with three chairs, did the TV's earlier this year and new wheels/tires last year. Except for a few rock chips and tree branch scratches it looks almost new (full body paint). I could buff out the scratches in the clear coat and repair the chips easily. Probably the carpet is next in both the stick house and MH. Stick house was a Parade of Homes house in 1986 when we bought it, it had 25,000 people thorough it so the carpet is worn out now anyway. MH carpet wasn't near the quality though and the cats and dogs haven't helped any!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #33

"the house part is pretty much the same, gasser or diesel, 65k new or 650k new... its all the same stuff."

Up to a point that is true. A gas Bounder and diesel dp Bounder have similar chassis and house construction. But that is not the case for higher end DP's from makers like Monaco, Country Coach, Foretravel, Beaver, Travel Supreme, and certainly BlueBird. And I am not even mentioning the very high end stuff like Marathon, Newell, and Liberty. Higher end models have semi monocoque chassis that are significantly different to gasser chassis. And the build quality of the house is like night and day.

Not all coaches of more than a few years old look like Grandma's house. Ours does not. And we looked at lots that do not. Some brands do have "Grandma-like" interiors. And that is because many people liked Grandma's house.

The comment about slides not needed work-maintenance has not been true for us. Even though we have had comprehensive extended warranty coverage we have spent a bundle on new seals. Several thousand on the front and back slides.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #34

What bugs me the most on my 2000 Allegro in the 19 inch "In Dash" TV. Not that we watch it that much but its there and it would be hard to upgrade and remove. New TV's are rectangle versus sorta square. Oh yeah, we also have "flowerey" upholstrey and valances throughout.
For what its worth, though DW and I have a gasser and are in the process of purchasing a Georgetown 2011 gasser, I must say that every time we would go into a DP just to nose around, to me at least there seems to be an upgrade to the look and feel of the interior.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
This is great info! I just returned from a 3000 mile roundtrip from Minneapolis to Philly via Cooperstown (there) and Niagara Falls (back). I rented (fortunately) a 2006 34' Tiffin Allegro Class A gas and would never do it again. Period. Death grip on the steering, being blown all over the highway, and a Ford V10 that had a hard time climbing the hills of Pennsylvania. I was talking to a DP owner at a campground, who had owned a gas-powered Class A, and he summed it up in one word; School Bus (ok, I guess that's two). The rig rattled with every patch, bridge, and twig I ran over. Riding on the Interstate in Illinois was horrible. I was never happier to drop it off and walk away. BUT! Now I've been bitten by the "RV Bug" and would like to plan the next driving adventure. I really liked RV'ing and stopping in campgrounds. I'm looking for a DP, but can't afford the $100K+ price tags. I'm looking for a good solid used DP. I am hoping this website will help me find something that has quality and is affordable.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

We'll be headed through most of that same country in a couple of months.

That first trip can really grab you, can't it? I can't imagine muscling around a 34' rental. It can really leave you drained. Rest assured that driving a properly set up Class A (both gas and diesel) can be a real pleasure.

If you'd really like some advice on the purchase of a DP, you might want to start your own thread in the Class A forum. Share information like how you are going to use the rig, your approximate budget, etc. and I'm sure our helpful members will be glad to offer advice.

Best of luck.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
This is great info! I just returned from a 3000 mile roundtrip from Minneapolis to Philly via Cooperstown (there) and Niagara Falls (back). I rented (fortunately) a 2006 34' Tiffin Allegro Class A gas and would never do it again. Period. Death grip on the steering, being blown all over the highway, and a Ford V10 that had a hard time climbing the hills of Pennsylvania. I was talking to a DP owner at a campground, who had owned a gas-powered Class A, and he summed it up in one word; School Bus (ok, I guess that's two). The rig rattled with every patch, bridge, and twig I ran over. Riding on the Interstate in Illinois was horrible. I was never happier to drop it off and walk away. BUT! Now I've been bitten by the "RV Bug" and would like to plan the next driving adventure. I really liked RV'ing and stopping in campgrounds. I'm looking for a DP, but can't afford the $100K+ price tags. I'm looking for a good solid used DP. I am hoping this website will help me find something that has quality and is affordable.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #37

Wow. Lots of opinions. That's always a good thing.
May I opine as well?
Buy 1-2 yrs old and get diesel. Save 10's of thousands $$
Lots of the things that go wrong get fixed by original owner.
ride and power is so much better.
Much prefer to drive the pusher over the gasser. Much more relaxing drive.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #38

CryptoIDman - Congratulations on your first long RV trip. We have a big heavy DP, but I would not lump gas coaches as all "death grip" rides because you rented a scary one. We rented for many many years till we were able to buy a coach. Our first long trip was 5,000 miles 32 years ago in a 28' long Beaver gasser, class C. We loved it. Flash forward to the year 2,000 and we rented a class A 32' gasser from a company in San Diego. We took it for 2,500 miles, white knuckle all the way.

Just my humble opinion, but I think the coach you rented drove poorly and that gas class A's in general are not white knuckle. Tiffin makes a lot of coaches that people like. Test drive a few before branding them as a bad machine. I do not agree on the "school bus" label. The thing gas coaches are most related to is delivery trucks you see on the road. School buses are most similar to early FC BlueBird coaches which are some of the safest and best motor homes ever made. No school would buy a bunch of "white knuckle" buses to move students around.

It is certainly true that in general class A DP's drive more comfortably, but almost all gas coaches drive fine and do not induce death grip. We have many of them in our RV club. So have some fun and go test drive a bunch of motor homes. You will get a better idea of what you can expect.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #39

We just upgraded from a 1984 23' Class C to a 2000 28' Class A Allegro and it's far from "white knuckle" driving. We just did a trip this past week of 500 miles and it was like driving my living room with a picture window to the world!

You have to be aware of your surroundings and it does move around some from trucks and wind but nothing objectionable to myself compared to what we did have before. I cruised down the highway at the speed limit and got an average of 9-10 miles per gallon. It's on a Workhorse chassis with a 454 engine.

I did replace the front sway bar bushings with poly ones, the old ones were shot and one end link bushing was missing. The airbags are leaking and will be my next fix so I'm sure it will improve over the ride we have now, which is not bad in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
We've had both a gas and a diesel class a. There is no question the diesel is better. Lots better. The quiet in the cockpit is the biggest advantage, followed by the air ride suspension, followed quickly by the sheer mass of the beast.

Our Ford based gasser was so noisy we couldn't talk to each other. It rode so bad... and crosswinds and passing semi's pushed it all over the road.

Note that while I owned it, I didn't know these things. I thought driving with a 2 handed death grip on the wheel while shouting at my wife was perfectly normal.
I busted out laughing when I read this!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #41

Anyone that drives a gasser, especially a Ford, and you need to have a "death grip" on the steering wheel, it probably needs an alignment. Alot of folks do not realize this. Made a huge difference on my 2000 Allegro 32 feet. Now I very comfortably cruise down the highway with no "Death Grip"
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2011 Ford gasser and it drives and rides like a dream. Of course that is after installing a TruCenter, rear track bar, and aligning the front end. Now trucks don't bother either.

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote