Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
My DW and I are considering seeing the country in an RV. Now that I'm retired (and DW will be soon) the time seems right to see this great country before we're too old to do so.

DW has a non-negotiable requirement for a King bed
I have a non-negotiable requirement for a Diesel Pusher
Budget of less than $200K - preferably much less! (duh)
I'd like to keep it under 40 ft. 37-ish seems about right

So far we've looked at a few new DP's and love the Thor Venetian M37. Everything about it looks very nice. There's some 2016 Venetian M37's for $210K or thereabouts. (Don't know if I can get them under $200K).

The Winnebago Forza 36G looks good online (haven't seen one with a King bed in person) and is significantly less than $200K for 2016's. But I'm concerned about the 340HP engine in the Forza. I think I'd need the get-up-and-go for the hills out west. Do you agree?

Any other comments relative to the Venetian (or any others for that matter. I'm still trying to get my head around spending $200K with the certainly that it'll lose $100K in 10 years guaranteed. Yikes.

Thanks, Bill
you're not gonna get get up and go unless you spend a lot of doe$$$$

that being said you will do more than fine with the 340 hp

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

One more question if I may. I test drove a 37 footer last week and it went fine; fun actually! But there seemed to be some play in the steering. It took more and bigger corrections to keep the rig driving straight ahead in lane than in a car or SUV. Is this normal for these big monsters? Os does this sound like some mechanical adjustments are needed?

Bill

A tag axle coach is going to handle the wind and road "more securely", at least that has been my experience. We had a 37 ft Fleetwood DP without a tag and it got moved around by trucks and wind all the time. I had a SafeTPlus put on it and aligned....helped, but my 45 foot Entegra Anthem (with a tag) feels much more secure. Smaller doesn't mean that it is easier to drive.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:

One more question if I may. I test drove a 37 footer last week and it went fine; fun actually! But there seemed to be some play in the steering. It took more and bigger corrections to keep the rig driving straight ahead in lane than in a car or SUV. Is this normal for these big monsters? Os does this sound like some mechanical adjustments are needed?

Bill
Keep in mind you're sitting way higher driving one of these DP's than anything but a semi. The sway you feel is often no more than the chassis following the road - but it's amplified by the fact you are higher. Think of an upside down pendulum. The end is traveling much further than a point only half that high? Your butt is getting twice the signal to correct than you're used to.

My point is, there's a tendency to over steer/correct more often than necessary when first climbing into the driver's seat. Experience/seat time will tame that tendency considerably, but don't expect that's going to take an hour or 2. It could easily take a few thousand miles (by time you get back from your first long trip). It will happen though, and you'll find yourself able to relax a little (finally!).
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #18

check out the:

ForestRiver Berkshire, and Legacy
and
Thor Tuscany, and Palazzo

all DPs will get you where you want to go, HP is not a problem

our Palazzo is 330hp and has seen every hill, mountain, pass, and top in the US, as well as eastern Canada

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

We made the mistake of buying a class C gas our first time, I guess that's a common error. Assuming a big motor home will be too big.
Our second mistake was buying a brand New class C motor home.

After we adjusted to the depreciation shock we went straight to a second hand diesel pusher and I won't look back. Our's had 5000 miles on it and we could barely tell it was used if not for those miles.
Someone else's loss helped us absorb ours so, it was like we got the right RV the first time.

We had an absolutely "must have King bed" wish as well, the price made us settle for less and there really are times I wished we would have stuck to our guns.

Tags
class a, diesel