Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #29

Re: mobile truck tech, I would think a call to a service (or maybe parts?) manager at any larger local truck repair facility would produce a couple of phone numbers. They're not going to have anyone like that on staff I don't think, so they'll be using somebody. You might even be able to engage the service manager himself in a conversation that might teach you something. In a pinch, wouldn't be real worried abut what chassis the coach is on. The bigger deal in my mind will be regarding engine, trans, brakes, cooling system, bags, etc, etc, etc. Those are all going to be pretty universal, no matter the chassis manf.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I thought the information was worth the peace of mind on buying an older used vehicle. In my case the dealer offered to reduce price by the $30 (?) cost of the report.
Glad you got lucky, but as I said there is NO legal requirement to report anything to CarFax or any other such "reporting" agency.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Glad you got lucky, but as I said there is NO legal requirement to report anything to CarFax or any other such "reporting" agency.
The information on the report is mostly gleaned from state DMV and insurance company data bases. If you wrecked an RV and didn't claim it but repaired it yourself, yes you could keep it out of the data bases. If an accident report was generated by police or insurance company, it would be a matter of record. Same as if you rented it out but didn't notify insurance company, you might avoid public records as long as no accident or claims. Same as flood damage. Some people clean the damage up appearance wise and sell it without an insurance claim. In those cases, buyer beware.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #32

Hey Tim,

I live in Delaware about 35 miles from where this DS is located. If you sell your boat and would like me to run up and check it out for you, let me know by PM. I have one oil analysis sample kit left (JG Lubricant). I take my DS to I. G. Burton Truck & Bus service in Milford, DE, which is about 10 miles from where this DS is located, but I will check to find out what level of inspections they perform. They service and repair Spartan and Freightliner chassis plus 100's of diesel school buses.

My biggest concern, sight unseen, is the lack of maintenance records on this coach. Some can be reconstructed, but this fact is a big red flag requiring extensive investigation. If maintenance records are not available, engine oil, trans fluid, coolant, and genset oil analysis would be "mandatory."
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #33

Carfax and other reporting systems can be great sources of information but the absence of information should NEVER lead one to assume there aren't things that could/should have been reported on. There are numerous ways major problems can go undetected on these reports. Ever read about the "million dollar" Carfax Guarantee? Read the fine print. It only guarantees it will find information that was public. Basically, their guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on.

As for a private party transactions. I've been through several with reasonably high dollar cars/trucks/RVs. You can do fine but MUST pay attention and do some legwork. From the first point of contact I will Google phone numbers and research things I am told to see if they add up. You will find out very quickly if their story adds up. In this instance divorces are public information in most states (not sure if it has to be finalized first?). You can research house addresses to see how long they've lived there. Maybe even ask them what type of work they are in (often times this just comes out in conversation). Very quickly you can get an idea of who you are dealing with and whether or not you can trust them.

As a seller I go out of my way to offer up information to put buyers at ease. In my case I've been registered as a contractor in my state for nearly 20 years. I offer up a link to my business and my home address and encourage people to research me just so they know they aren't dealing with some Craigslist lunatic. Of course, I offer this information up once I've researched them a bit to be sure they aren't a lunatic

Private party transactions are fine and 99% of the folks out there can be trusted. The horror stories you read about where people lose a chunk of money or worse are very rare. And, in those instances, 100% of the time people didn't bother to do the most basic research of the people they were dealing with.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #34

Carfax can be a handy tool , however , just because the report doesn't show any negatives , doesn't mean they didn't happen . For example if a vehicle were involved in an accident , but no police report was filed , it's a good chance it won't show up on carfax .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Carfax can be a handy tool , however , just because the report doesn't show any negatives , doesn't mean they didn't happen . For example if a vehicle were involved in an accident , but no police report was filed , it's a good chance it won't show up on carfax .
You got THAT right. We had a 2000 Saturn LW2. My daughter was involved in a collision with a dirt hillside on the side of the road. We have really narrow roads, and a significant drop off where the brand new paving dropped off about 3 inches to the old road. She strayed off the road slightly, over corrected to get back on the road, and ended up running into the dirt bank on the other side. The car was almost totaled, not really from repair costs, but due to the fact that they estimating shop couldn't find a passenger fog light since GM cancelled the Saturn line . . . Anyway, the insurance paid off. The body shop straightened the radiator mounting bracket (required putting in on the frame rack), replaced the radiator, AC cooling cool, lower valence, front bumper, headlights, repaired one fender and some other work to include paint, and front end alignment, and off we went.

Anyway, it was what many would consider an extensive repair, especially with the "frame straitening", but even two years later, it didn't show up in a CarFax report I purchased when I was looking at selling it. . . . . I would have disclosed the damage and repair, but if I hadn't, the perspective purchaser could have purchased a Carfax Report and been fat, dumb, and happy thinking he or she knew everything there was to know about the car. Bottom line, if they report repair history, it is generally correct, and in that respect it may be helpful, but NEVER assume it is a comprehensive report. Personally, I think CarFax and other similar "services" miss-represent their product . . .

Note: My daughter claimed it wasn't her fault, but I've questioned the dirt bank extensively after my daughter "grilled" it, but the dirt bank would never admit fault, so I'm going with "driver error"!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
To the OP - yes there should be maintenance records but if the mileage is correct there won't be many records. The Newmar name is pretty good and the recalls are not too many similar to what mine was. I took mine back to the selling dealer and they knew all about the history from the previous owners. Have driven it from Vancouver BC to Calgary, got it safety checked in Calgary and a full service by Newmar dealer in BC then two weeks later drove to Tucson. No issues. Coach had 14000 miles when I got it. First appearance of condition is a good or bad sign depending on how anal previous owners were. I asked for the engine to be stone cold when I got there for first start. All the best in buying.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"timjet".....All good info....The three owners caught my eye, but when you think about it, it was probably first sold in 2009 and may have had three owners because of the economy.

Sometimes if you put out the location of the coach you can get someone local to take a preliminary look at it before investing any money. I've done it twice for people that lived out of state, one in Alaska and one in Canada. Both coaches I checked out were beaters.....maybe someone will jump in here.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote