Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Considering buying a 2011 Fleetwood Proto type and finishing it ourselves

Husband and I are considering buying an unfinished Proto type RV class A Fleetwood. Has anyone ever done this or know someone who has ? Trying to collect as much information as possible before purchasing it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. How much of it was completed ?

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemihu View Post
Husband and I are considering buying an unfinished Proto type RV class A Fleetwood. Has anyone ever done this or know someone who has ? Trying to collect as much information as possible before purchasing it
If that's the one on line for 45K? Wow what a job! But it looks like it has probably sat a lot. How was it driven? Abused? four wheeling? (just kidding) But kind of serious. It is a prototype so what were they testing? Did they continue whatever it was on their newer coaches? Too many questions for me. Slides, didn't see any. Wow! Is all I can think of. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

It is not the one for 45,000. It is a 2011 discovery. Tag axle. 43 ft. 400 hp.I've been told that they were trying out a Delta Chassis. It is just a big empty bus and my husband wants to put slide outs and finish the interior. Trying to get information from Fleetwood has not been easy
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemihu View Post
It is not the one for 45,000. It is a 2011 discovery. Tag axle. 43 ft. 400 hp.I've been told that they were trying out a Delta Chassis. It is just a big empty bus and my husband wants to put slide outs and finish the interior. Trying to get information from Fleetwood has not been easy
That does sound like the one on line. Not criticizing just saying it will be a lot of work. I admire someone with the skills and ambition to take on a job like that. Here is the one I found.

2011 Fleetwood Revolution for sale in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Usa - Used RVs For Sale

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
That does sound like the one on line. Not criticizing just saying it will be a lot of work. I admire someone with the skills and ambition to take on a job like that. Here is the one I found.

2011 Fleetwood Revolution for sale in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Usa - Used RVs For Sale

Good luck.
And the money to do it. Way too much work ... You are basically building a Class A MH. Not for us; we'd rather be traveling and playing.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Wow, where would you even start. I guess it would be nice to build it the way you wanted and it would be done right and you would know how to fix everything. But unless you have a shop with all the tools you need I don't see where it would be cheaper to do than buying one already completed. And then it will take a significant amount of time to do the job. My hat's off to those with the capability to do it, good luck in your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

The coach we are considering was sold Along with the one you posted by Fleetwood. My concern is were they built with the intention of someone completing the coach. My husband builds medical coaches(with slide outs) for a living. This is perfect for him!! We would start with floor plan...build the slides..wiring( it came with a bunch of wiring harnesses) and go from there. A lot of work for sure but it would be fun to design our own coach
Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

I don't think these were built with the intention of being completed, based on the pictures. I think all you are getting is a chassis and front and rear caps and windscreen. There's value there, for sure, but you really have to want to take it on.

As a point of comparison, when I was at Marathon they had a very nice 2001 Prevost coach they had built, no slides, that would sell at very close to 100k. And while older, you'd have the advantage that you could pick and chose what to customize -- and you'd be getting a generator, plumbing (as far as tanks, etc.) -- even windows! -- to start from.

I like the idea of doing your own...great idea! But I'm not sure this rig is the right base.

Steve
Old 08-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a generator in it? How about all the tanks, water, grey and black. ACs? I hope it is extremely cheap! You are going have your work cut out for you.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

The revolution that sold for 45,000 was sold and is being completed. There are no tanks or generator but there is a place for the generator.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #12

The coach has two air-conditioners in the box, one outside awning and a porcelain toilet. My husband did the numbers and we could complete it for under 90.000 and have a 2011. No labor cost because we would do all the labor ourselves . My concern is were these made to be completed?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #13

Sounds like your DH has the skill and access to the tools. My big concern would be that the shell past the cab is just that a shell and that you would have to strip and build up from there, floor, walls roof, cargo doors

If they were only testing a chassis with no plans to turn it into a coach why bother putting real floor, sides, cargo doors and roof on.

Only a thorough live inspection by DH can really answer the question.

Tags
fleetwood