Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Considering first Motorhome; Should we get a used Diesel?

Hello, I appreciate any insight you can offer. My husband and I have pulled a trailer for many years and many miles. Because we spent so much time and so many miles on our trailer, we are thinking its time to go to a motorhome. We are looking at used models. The salesman is telling us we should get a diesel pusher, and we are considering a Winnebago Journey. Is it true that the engine will be more reliable and the rider more comfortable? What are the downsides of a diesel? Thank you

runriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
The ride is nicer. You don't hear the engine. You can carry on a conversation without hearing the motor. More power. Pull into rest area fire up genny have coffee or lunch. We love our Journey. Won't go back to a trailer. Maintainence can and will be more depending on how mechanically able you are. I do all mine myself so no big deal.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
What's your price range/model year range? We saved a few dollars buying a 2015 Discovery. The advantage is it appears the previous owner got most of the bugs out. The disadvantage is the reduced factory warranty.

If you are talking older than a couple of years that's a slightly different story. You start getting into issues like new tires and whatnot.

Either way, we bought our first DP new and I don't think I'd do that again. I'd definitely go for a couple of year old model.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are many arguments for buying a gas coach, but I bought a 10 year old DP as my first motor home. My advice is to look for a coach owned by a private individual who has used the coach somewhat continuously throughout its life and has maintenance records. Also have an inspection by a freightliner or cummins/cat repair shop to check the condition of the engine, the fluids, and the chassis components (air brakes, hydraulic jacks, etc.) A diesel coach should give you many years of service.
2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Since you apparently travel a lot and often a DP would probably be your first choice. As mentioned earlier they are quieter, especially up grades, and the ride is smoother. A DP is easier to fuel up because you use the easy in- easy out truck lanes. A DP will typically have higher routine maintenance costs. RVers usually dont put the extensive miles on to take advantage of a diesels miles between maintenance. We usually do our maintenance based on time, annually most often.
I don't think reliability is an issue with either gas or diesel, I would guess they are about equal.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Our first coach was a 15 year old, 37' DP and I've never regretted it for the reasons others have mentioned
Larry, Beverly & Pat
Pups - Sweetie, Coco, Bodie
2013 Thor Tuscany, 45', Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISL10, towing a Buick Enclave
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
We moved to a Motorhome and while we have several friends who also fulltime in gassers we never considered them
We just don't generally like the floor plans with the doghouse upfront. As we age Rons hearing has worsened and we didn't like the noise either.
We choose a well loved used DP Monaco based on the solid feel when driving, the leveling system available, a super reliable Cummins engine just to name a few
We service annually and based on our experience with servicing our Diesel truck every truck twice to 3 times a year the difference was not huge and something we were willing to accept.
Its certainly a personal choice and I would test drive both before deciding. And I mean get it on the highway. Get a feel for how they get up to speed etc
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Good info

Thanks to everyone for their comments! We typically drive 40-50k/year (yes, we pulled a trailer that much!). Time to get something built to for that kind of use. We are looking at a 10 yo Journey. Our price range is pretty modest.
runriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You will love a diesel.
Not just the power but the ride, the engine brake, longer intervals between oil changes, ect.
We love ours that's for sure
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
IMHO, driving 40-50,000 miles per year would be much more enjoyable in a DP. If it were me, I would opt for a new or 1 year old DP with the floorplan you like. In five years, you will have 160,000 to 200,000 miles. You would be looking at engine and possibly transmission replacement with a gas MH. A diesel would just be broken in nice.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing wrong with used as long as you purchase one with quality nuts and bolts, and really do your homework. If you don't have the knowledge to do a thorough inspection, get a professional 3rd party to do it for you. Previous maintenance records are a bonus.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, 40-50k miles a year. Definitely a diesel pusher Motorhome.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by runriver View Post
Thanks to everyone for their comments! We typically drive 40-50k/year (yes, we pulled a trailer that much!). Time to get something built to for that kind of use. We are looking at a 10 yo Journey. Our price range is pretty modest.
diesel for sure on this one....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
For us, going the DP route was the only way to get the floorplan/living space/carrying capacity we wanted. We purchased a used coach - and have now owned it for a little more than a year. We're happy with our purchase - and are coming to love it more the more we use it. Here's hoping your experiences are similar.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, motorhome