Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysRV View Post
Thanks Don! I had a guy at work state that he thinks the 250HP for the 36' chassis is too low, and might be a problem in the mountains, especially with a toad??
The good news is that having a C8.3 rated at 250hp means it will create less heat. Yes, it may not run up the mountain at the speed limit, but it will go up at a reasonable speed. The 8.3 is a wet sleeve motor, and really is the baby of the "big truck" motors. You've got mechanical injection, and less wiring and computers than the newer rigs. If you really want more HP, that motor could be turned up, but then you'll also have to deal with more heat and lower fuel economy.

The interior pictures look like the coach was taken care of. As with any 20 year old coach there will be problems. Good grief though, any coach can have problems. I do have one word of caution though, be aware that repair parts for the appliances may be hard to find or non-existent. You can find some of the parts, but not the ones that usually go bad.... Those are all gone...

I still say, if you like it, get it. It's a real value if you want a motorhome.

Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
That 250 might be a little light if you plan heavy loading and towing in mountains. While it will get you there and is very reliable (those things just keep on running) you can afford to be a little late to your destination at that price. Keep in mind that money spent on systems checks, especially engine, transmission and genset is well spent as these are the most expensive items on the rig.
Tires are up there as well, but you can look at the dates on the tires and verify their age.
Thanks again everyone. Doc, the tires and batteries are brand new this year, along with a newly sealed roof.

TVforMyRV, thank you. I would only plan on towing a Toyota Corolla. Would that be an issue? What speed would I most likely climb at in the mountains?

For the amount of time I RV(maybe once or twice a year) I do believe this could be a gem for me, especially since it has new tires and batteries already.

Does everyone think I should do both inspections? Or just go with one or the other? (Regular inspection covering all items and the Cummins inspection)

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again everyone. Doc, the tires and batteries are brand new this year, along with a newly sealed roof.

TVforMyRV, thank you. I would only plan on towing a Toyota Corolla. Would that be an issue? What speed would I most likely climb at in the mountains?

With the same engine but at 300hp my 31,000 lb rig will go up long 6% rigs here in the West at about 35mph no matter if I am towing or not.

For the amount of time I RV(maybe once or twice a year) I do believe this could be a gem for me, especially since it has new tires and batteries already.

Does everyone think I should do both inspections? Or just go with one or the other? (Regular inspection covering all items and the Cummins inspection)

The key item to the RV inspection is looking for water leaks that can result in expensive repairs. Appliances can be replaced as can furniture for less than $2k each item.

The key items to the drive train and chassis inspection are engine, transmission, radiator, and suspension functions. These items cost more for repair than your purchase price.

Get both done and then check it all personally.

Thanks again!
Once you have an agreed price be sure to do a pre-purchase road test before paying the seller.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #18

I have seen one or two aluminum skinned HRs with corrosion pitting and some holes all the way through the skin. I also owned an HR trailer with aluminum skin that did not have this issue. I think it's something to check for.
I wouldn't worry too much about the 8.3 Cummins. If you are handy with a toolbox, you can do any repairs yourself.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Am I the only one that thinks $900 for inspections is insane?

Test that everything works yourself, doesn't make strange noises etc, if something doesn't seem right, negotiate further after asking an RV service center what the repair will cost.

Remember inspections are only one persons opinion, and that person may have reasons to scare you away from that purchase......

The chassis inspection might be worth it, but I would go to an independent heavy truck shop. It should cost far less than $500. You don't need a dyno test.

Oh, and that bus looks great for the age.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #20

It does look good in the pictures. Just because it's important to my wife (and therefore to me ) is that it's a floorplan without a "throne room" (which she refused to consider).

I wouldn't bother with the Cummins inspection if it can be taken for a drive and examined for leaks, etc., to make sure it isn't running badly.

Steve
Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #21

Thank you. How are these motor homes on brick pavers.....Something to be concerned about?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #22

Also just got this from the owner: "During the past 6 years, I have replaced the awning, front and rear a/c's (rear with heat strip), ice maker
During the past two years -- refrigerator, toilet, LED tvs front and rea with blue ray players, all new mood lighting, roof exhaust fans (2), fresh water pump"

This was from the previous owner when they bought it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #23

Another reply from seller:

"Generator - approx. 320 hours
Diesel powered - No issues/runs like a charm
Starts right up after glow plugs are warm
No smoke or at least haven't noticed any (no one has mentioned any smoke issues to us either)
Airbrakes/air bag suspension
Brake system was recently checked out and everything is fine. They are truck-type air brakes. Brake system inspection reveals good pads.
All drum brakes (not 100% positive). Front brakes may be disc but regardless, braking is very good."
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach has the same C8.3 250HP Cummins engine. The previous owner had installed a Banks Stinger kit which supposedly increased the HP to about 325HP. I can't confirm that. It's a very strong motor. I have never realized 9.5 - 10 mpg. I can count on 8 mpg when driving at reasonable speeds with no wind. Hills, mountains, wind, increased speed, etc., all have an impact on fuel economy.

The C8.3 motor is very reliable. It has a simple mechanical injection system, which makes it very simple to maintain. With average maintenance, this engine should easily outlive the rest of the coach.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
After reading those additional post regarding the items which were replaced recently.

I say, if the floor plan suits you both, buy it and go RVing!
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks Don! I had a guy at work state that he thinks the 250HP for the 36' chassis is too low, and might be a problem in the mountains, especially with a toad??

Rough rule of thumb is 1HP/100pounds of weight. Check to see where your target coach fits in that scheme of things. Even if light, it isn't a deal-breaker.

On another note, things like corian counters, tile in bath, point to prior owners that enjoyed up-grading the coach. That likely means that it was a good unit.

As far as money going in, plan on having a $5000 fall-back budget for surprises and maintenance, or you're asking for trouble. I concur with Cummins that a full service should be done while they have it. If you want to save money, have an oil analysis performed and pass on the dyno test.

Once they get it in the shop, they'll know from the sound whether it's a good one or not.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #27
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
After reading those additional post regarding the items which were replaced recently.

I say, if the floor plan suits you both, buy it and go RVing!

X2 Buy it
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #28

This is a nice motorhome. I've had two Holiday Ramblers, they are top notch. This one has the rare coveted split bath which is really nice. For the money, I wouldn't worry about this at all. I'd not spend a ton of money on inspections. Check everything out, drive it and if it checks out, buy it. You're not going to get hurt on this one. It's worth more than the asking price.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a