Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am still waiting on the generator, chassis, oil and coolant analysis, but here is what I have so far:

-PERFORMED A VISUAL INSPECTION. NOTED AN OIL LEAK. FRONT GEAR
HOUSING GASKETS APPEARS TO BE BLOWN OUT. INSPECTED OIL LEVEL.
INDICATING LOW OIL LEVEL.

Front timing cover gasket is a weak spot on this engine. Expensive to replace the gasket, because it involves extensive engine dis-assembly. Some (including me) have been fortunate enough to do a handyman fix that was successful.

-MUST ADD A 1 GALLON TO TOP THIS LEVEL TO THE FULL MARK. (ADDED OIL TO THIS ENGINE OIL CRANK CASE).

My engine will not maintain oil level at the full mark on the dipstick. It wants the oil level to be about 2 quarts down, then the level stays there.

-ALSO NOTED AN EXHAUST LEAK AT THE OUTLET SIDE OF THE TURBO PIPE
CONNECTION. THE WELD HAS BROKEN OFF/CRACKED.

You need to fix that.

-DROVE AND SET THIS UNIT ON THE DYNO.
SET AND INSTALLED AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE,FUEL GAUGE AND USED A HEAT
GUN FOR COOLANT TEMP VERIFICATION.

-RAN ENGINE TO RATED SPEED. HORSE POWER ON THIS ENGINE IS @ 155 TO
160 HORSE POWER. ENGINE IS RATED AT 250.

Does this coach have a turbo boost gauge in the dash? To get 250 HP, the turbo boost should probably be about 23 psi. The low HP possibly indicates a lack of turbo boost. It could be the turbo, or the air pipe connections to the CAC are leaking, or the CAC itself is leaking.

-OIL PRESSURE WHEN COLD START WAS 60 TO 70 PSI. WHILE ON DYNO RATED SPEED, THE OIL PRESSURE MAINTAINED 40 TO 45 PSI. AT IDLE ENGINE AT NORMAL TEMP OIL PRESSURE WAS 25 PSI.

Normal.

-COOLANT TEMP ROSE TO 203 BEFORE THE COOLANT FANS CAME ON.NOTE
FANS ARE HYDRAULIC CONTROLLED. ENGINE COOLANT MAINTAINED @ 180 TO
200 DEGREES.

Normal

-INSPECTED FUEL PRESSURE OK (NOTE MANUAL FUEL PUMP WAS 25 TO 30 PSI.)

Normal

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
And yes, this leak test is impossible, a con job...right!
If referring to my comment, I apologize that it was received in that form. I was merely trying to state that MY RIG has so many HUGE air flow points that I would not trust it to work. I can imagine some newer rigs are much tighter though I find it hard to believe with so many slides on most of them. I do appreciate the links and additional info, it was interesting to see the equipment that they use.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you again for your responses. The generator was inspected, and powers up fine, but does appear to have an oil leak around the bottom. The tech could not find a stamp or tag to identify the unit, but he thinks its a DKD.

I have been quoted approximately $2500 to repair the front gear housing gaskets and exhaust leak.

The tech stated that to repair the generator oil leak would cost approximately $1500-1800.

With this being said, I have yet to get back in touch with the owners with the news I have found. With the asking price basically being at $14k, how does everyone think I should proceed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I am still waiting on the generator, chassis, oil and coolant analysis, but here is what I have so far:

-PERFORMED A VISUAL INSPECTION. NOTED AN OIL LEAK. FRONT GEAR
HOUSING GASKETS APPEARS TO BE BLOWN OUT. INSPECTED OIL LEVEL.
INDICATING LOW OIL LEVEL.

Front timing cover gasket is a weak spot on this engine. Expensive to replace the gasket, because it involves extensive engine dis-assembly. Some (including me) have been fortunate enough to do a handyman fix that was successful.

-MUST ADD A 1 GALLON TO TOP THIS LEVEL TO THE FULL MARK. (ADDED OIL TO THIS ENGINE OIL CRANK CASE).

My engine will not maintain oil level at the full mark on the dipstick. It wants the oil level to be about 2 quarts down, then the level stays there.

-ALSO NOTED AN EXHAUST LEAK AT THE OUTLET SIDE OF THE TURBO PIPE
CONNECTION. THE WELD HAS BROKEN OFF/CRACKED.

You need to fix that.

-DROVE AND SET THIS UNIT ON THE DYNO.
SET AND INSTALLED AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE,FUEL GAUGE AND USED A HEAT
GUN FOR COOLANT TEMP VERIFICATION.

-RAN ENGINE TO RATED SPEED. HORSE POWER ON THIS ENGINE IS @ 155 TO
160 HORSE POWER. ENGINE IS RATED AT 250.

Does this coach have a turbo boost gauge in the dash? To get 250 HP, the turbo boost should probably be about 23 psi. The low HP possibly indicates a lack of turbo boost. It could be the turbo, or the air pipe connections to the CAC are leaking, or the CAC itself is leaking.

-OIL PRESSURE WHEN COLD START WAS 60 TO 70 PSI. WHILE ON DYNO RATED SPEED, THE OIL PRESSURE MAINTAINED 40 TO 45 PSI. AT IDLE ENGINE AT NORMAL TEMP OIL PRESSURE WAS 25 PSI.

Normal.

-COOLANT TEMP ROSE TO 203 BEFORE THE COOLANT FANS CAME ON.NOTE
FANS ARE HYDRAULIC CONTROLLED. ENGINE COOLANT MAINTAINED @ 180 TO
200 DEGREES.

Normal

-INSPECTED FUEL PRESSURE OK (NOTE MANUAL FUEL PUMP WAS 25 TO 30 PSI.)

Normal

Jim
Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #46

There is a gasket on the cover that also has the crank seal pressed into it. That gasket is not too bad to replace. There is also a gasket between the gear housing and the engine block. That one is a big repair.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #47

And thats probably the one it is then.....Now I know why it was quoted around $1,800.

I emailed the sellers telling them of the $4,300 in repairs, so I am awaiting their response to see if they are willing to deal on the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
There is a gasket on the cover that also has the crank seal pressed into it. That gasket is not too bad to replace. There is also a gasket between the gear housing and the engine block. That one is a big repair.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 12-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysRV View Post
I am awaiting their response to see if they are willing to deal on the price.
PM sent.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #49

Good idea to use that information to renegotiate price. You should feel pretty good about doing your due diligence.

The real question is how much do you want the rig? If there is no problem getting the horsepower back, I'm not sure I would pass on the deal as it should not, in my opinion, have been a surprise to have generated a repair list such as this, and this seems pretty reasonable $$$ to me and at least on the cheap $7 fix, you can try it first before paying for the full repairs.

Try to get them to meet you at least half way and take the risk the cheap repair will do it.

I respect what some of the members said about passing on some of the testing, but I think this demonstrates the value of paying for the testing and evaluations.

It is a reasonable result and is workable if you want the rig.

What would be really frustrating was to have purchased the unit, then found out about the need for these repairs a month later and felt conned, even though it could be argued that these repairs may turn out to be genuine surprises to the owners.

And, I have read numerous situations where these repair discoveries were found after the purchase and it really soured the experience unnecessarily...even when buying from a dealer.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
...even when buying from a dealer.
IMO, buying from a dealer is no where close to being closer to a comfort level; and probably farther away. A dealer can look you in the eye and say, "...not to my knowledge", and get away with it. Private sellers can't do that as easily.

Buying from a dealer can also cause us to let our guard down about whether systems work, when buying from a private party would have us do as much due diligence as we know we should.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #51

Again, thank you all for your help!

I am in touch with the sellers, and based on them willing to accept an offer, I will be moving forward with a full inspection from a professional company. If everything checks out to be acceptable and in full working order, I will present an offer of $10k to the sellers. Again, I will keep everyone updated and also post the full inspection report to get everyone's opinions. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #52
Commercial Member

You can locate a professional inspector here http://nrvia.org/
Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #53

Shiggs68 to see if there was any inspection folks near us I started with 50 miles, went to 100, then to 250miles and still no one.. finally at 500 miles I started to see listings... Phew, that's a small amount of inspectors on there or we live in never, never land!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #54
Commercial Member

What location are you looking for?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #55

Were just 20 miles east of Nashville.... we are looking at a variety of options and I agree that any new purchase should be made with a professional inspection (that is not my specialty) and like the user here he found out how valuable it really is! That Is why I looked at the line and made the comment, no big hurry just gathering information.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #56

UPDATE!!!! I had my professional inspection this past Sunday, and have TONS of pictures and a full inspection report.
Here are more pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajvct5d9o...dRQkVtf-a?dl=0

That link will have the original pictures, along with the new pictures and a preliminary report.

I made a list of items that need corrected, and sent an offer of $10k to the sellers.

"Our offer for your coach is lower than your original lowered asking price based on:
Tires are dated 2/2013, even though they were installed this year. They will now need to be replaced in 5 years.
Cabinet water damage repair
The entire ceiling will need to be replaced.
LPG gas inspection
Cummins oil leak repair and gasket repair
Generator maintenance and major labor involved in oil leak repair
Older engine batteries replacement"

They ACCEPTED that offer!!!!

So!!! What is everyone's opinion on this deal, based on the new pictures????

Tags
class a