Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Considering this used Class A.......

Good morning everyone! I am possibly looking into this RV and wanted to get everyone's opinion!

I am still back and forth. I have an inspection company lined up that performs the 3-6 hour inspection, testing all systems.

Any opinions on this diesel motor? Should I stick with a gas RV? Anything else I should consider?

1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' diesel pusher
Asking price is $15k OBO
PICTURES LINK!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajvct5d9o...dRQkVtf-a?dl=0
Thanks again!

From Seller:
"36' diesel pusher with 140,000 miles (just getting broken in). Great starter coach with strong Cummins 8.3L 250 hp Mountain Master Spartan chassis, legendary six speed Allison World transmission. Recently returned from long trip (9-10 mpg even in mountains), 8500 kw diesel generator, durable fiberglass roof, aircraft aluminum sidewalls (no delamination worries), separate ice maker, 50 amp service. Large walk-through bath with washer/dryer and plenty of storage space. Everything works. Coach has new Sumitomo tires (P235/80 x22.5) and batteries (both installed within last six months), air ride and brakes are great.

Coach has a 10 gallon water heater, ducted or direct cold air (flip a lever), tile floor in bath, corian counter tops, hardwood flooring in kitchen/dinette area in very good condition (no flooring soft spots throughout coach). The coach is ready for cross country or wherever your heart may lead you. "
RoysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it passes most of the inspection(there maybe small points like all coach's even new) go for it. New tires $2500 8.5 Gen $3000 appliances $3000 motor and trans $5000, even parting out you could recover the money. Not saying you would need to but saying it's worth the money.

LEN
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like a deal. Do the inspection and if it passes, buy it
Old 11-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

If the pics are accurate , I would say go for it. Get the inspection done then decide. For an older coach it looks like it's well cared for and with new tires and batteries its a great deal. Good luck I hope it all works out for you!!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! I contacted the cummins in the city near the seller and asked them if they offer inspections and if they can conduct a load test. The RV inspection would be $300, and then we'll find out what cummins charges for their inspection.

I am very tempted with this RV.....Does anyone know the reliability of those Cummins motors?

They said they do have previous records...They are the 3rd or 4th owner.
More replies from the seller:

"We are the 3rd or 4th owners.
No current leaks. Roof was resealed in June when we purchased the coach. It is a fiberglass roof. Had a minor leak around the area where the antenna came through roof and that was repaired.
This is our first coach and have decided we want a slide. We also bought at a low price to make sure whether or not we would enjoy RVing. We enjoyed the coach and are confident that it remains road ready for cross-country.

Yes, we have all of the service records that were passed on to us and ones we have accumulated for service we have had performed.

We have put somewhere between 3,500 to 4,000 miles on the coach since we bought it. One of the first things we did was put new tires on it and took on a trip to PA on a trouble free trip. We purchased the coach at a low price since we weren't sure whether or not we'd enjoy RV'ing and have decided we like it. "
Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
As previously stated you can't go wrong at this price as the components are worth more than the asking price. Cummins engine shouldn't be an issue. If all the systems check,out you should be in good shape. I would agree that the low price is due to this coach not having any slides. But it's still a great deal.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Sounds very good for a non slide coach.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Heck, after 13 years and 70,000 miles we are still trying to decide if we like RVing with a similar rig.

If the inspections are good and the floorplan works for you, buy it.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Thanks again everyone! I spoke with the owner again. If it doesn't sell by tomorrow, she would probably accept a refundable deposit from me until I can get an inspection. If all goes well, the least she will take (she already told me) would be $14k.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysRV View Post
Good morning everyone! I am possibly looking into this RV and wanted to get everyone's opinion!

I am still back and forth. I have an inspection company lined up that performs the 3-6 hour inspection, testing all systems.

Any opinions on this diesel motor? Should I stick with a gas RV? Anything else I should consider?

1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' diesel pusher
Asking price is $15k OBO
PICTURES LINK!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajvct5d9o...dRQkVtf-a?dl=0
Thanks again!

From Seller:
"36' diesel pusher with 140,000 miles (just getting broken in). Great starter coach with strong Cummins 8.3L 250 hp Mountain Master Spartan chassis, legendary six speed Allison World transmission. Recently returned from long trip (9-10 mpg even in mountains), 8500 kw diesel generator, durable fiberglass roof, aircraft aluminum sidewalls (no delamination worries), separate ice maker, 50 amp service. Large walk-through bath with washer/dryer and plenty of storage space. Everything works. Coach has new Sumitomo tires (P235/80 x22.5) and batteries (both installed within last six months), air ride and brakes are great.

Coach has a 10 gallon water heater, ducted or direct cold air (flip a lever), tile floor in bath, corian counter tops, hardwood flooring in kitchen/dinette area in very good condition (no flooring soft spots throughout coach). The coach is ready for cross country or wherever your heart may lead you. "

From what I see that's awesome. We paid more than the asking price of that motorhome just for the sales tax on our motorhome! Good luck and if it's meant to be you'll get it.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #11

UPDATE! The RV is still for sale. I am back and forth, especially with the higher miles. My regular RV inspection from a company will be $400. And Cummins service center contacted me back. Their inspection costs $500. That includes: "We can perform a full inspection and dyno test for $500. The dyno test will place this engine under full load and will be able to verify fuel pressure, oil pressure, engine temp as well as horsepower out put"

Cummins also said they will test and check the generator, as well as the transmission.

So even before I purchase the unit, it will cost $900 bucks.

Cummins also said that if I do purchase, they would recommend doing a service on everything.....$900. The service guy stated he has seen those motors go 300,000 miles plus, but in smaller application. Like always, it just depends on where exactly it was kept for the past 20 years. He said an exhaust manifold leak repair could cost $1000-$3000. Ugh....

Would I be better trying to find a V10 Class A?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The miles should not be a concern as far as the engine, drivetrain and chassis go. As stated before, if you're OK with the floor plan, and nothing come out ugly in the inspection, go for it and enjoy. Yes, you could have a problem, and yes repairs can be costly, but the risk is nearly the same for a new one. You could spend a LOT of money on this coach and not even come close to the first years depreciation of a new diesel pusher.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
The miles should not be a concern as far as the engine, drivetrain and chassis go. As stated before, if you're OK with the floor plan, and nothing come out ugly in the inspection, go for it and enjoy. Yes, you could have a problem, and yes repairs can be costly, but the risk is nearly the same for a new one. You could spend a LOT of money on this coach and not even come close to the first years depreciation of a new diesel pusher.
Thanks Don! I had a guy at work state that he thinks the 250HP for the 36' chassis is too low, and might be a problem in the mountains, especially with a toad??
Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
That 250 might be a little light if you plan heavy loading and towing in mountains. While it will get you there and is very reliable (those things just keep on running) you can afford to be a little late to your destination at that price. Keep in mind that money spent on systems checks, especially engine, transmission and genset is well spent as these are the most expensive items on the rig.
Tires are up there as well, but you can look at the dates on the tires and verify their age.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a