Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Considering upgrade to diesel--input welcome

I've had my 01 Holiday Rambler Admiral Workhorse gasser for almost 15 years but have always wanted to upgrade to diesel. This is the one I'm considering; 2000 Monaco Dynasty 2000 Monaco Dynasty Regent 40'.

I've been a member for a while and really value the input and opinions of fellow members. The wife has approved the upgrade. What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #2

The pros and cons have been discussed at length. If the floor plan is what both of you like, and you're satisfied with the maintenance record. Go for it. Keep in mind that a DP of that age will cost considerably more to run and maintain than your gasser does/did. Everything including tires to annual service will cost more. That said, I have a tag DP and would not consider going back to a non tag or gas coach.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We moved from a 1995 Winneabago to a new 2002 Ambassador. It's been a good unit. I try to perform all the maintenace and some of the repairs myself. We have enjoyed the DP more than the gas. Currently in the process of remodeling the inside for retirement in a few years. Annual upkeep isn't bad if you can do it.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I did it and would not go back unless financially I had to go back. I had a 35' Pace Arrow (very nice) and went to a 32' Winnebago DP. (5th wheel in between) The main reason was the noise in the cockpit. The gas seemed to always have it's tongue hanging out on an incline. Maybe the DP does too but I can't hear it! Also love the engine brake.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #5

The higher cost of maintenance aside. The advantages of a diesel are overwhelming. Greater torque, better mileage, better ride, air brakes, engine brakes. The list goes on and on.

Best of luck with your search, and Happy Trails!!!!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback. I've also located a 2003 Allegro Bus 40ft in my price range; 2003 Allegro Bus 40ft

So which one would you pick? The Monaco Dynasty or Tiffin Allegro?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I've also located a 2003 Allegro Bus 40ft in my price range; 2003 Allegro Bus 40ft

So which one would you pick? The Monaco Dynasty or Tiffin Allegro?
They are a close call. The Monaco is a higher line coach. The air leveling is nice/ It has a larger size tire than the Bus for more load capacity. However the Bus has fewer miles and all new tires with some new appliances. Is the Dynasty a full body paint? The Bus is white with decals. Which floor plan do you like the best? You need to drive both for a couple hours and see what you think. We had a 2003 Phaeton for eight years and it was the most trouble free motor home we have ever had. After that I stuck with Tiffin.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You should also look at Newmar. Well built and great customer service from the factory.

C & C Roberts
Apple Valley CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP 3910
Spartan MM Chassis 8.9 ltr ISL Cummins
2006 Saturn SL2

Tags
diesel, upgrade