Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #15
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
What I get from this is if I am buying I should look at pedata.

If I am selling I should look at ppl.

We are in Apache Junction presently and have been scouting coaches for a future move.
Not necessarily. The guy at Pedata told me I should expect $120k net. But he is going to charge whatever he thinks he can get out of it and I'm still stuck at 120k. In other words, even if they price and sell it for $175k... I'll still get only $120k.

That's the way they work. They consign it for "free" but their game is to lock me in at a low price and sell it as high as they can.

And I didn't check with Pedata specifically on this point, but most of these places require a 90 day contract. So you're stuck with 'em even if you don't like the way they're handling your sale.

Personally, I prefer a flat, transparent 10% consignment model much better.

JasonDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by JasonDean View Post
I hear ya. I contacted them and was not impressed. The guy made me feel like he was doing me a favor just to talk to me. Plus, I could tell I was dealing with a professional slickster.

So I won't be doing business with them.

Of all the companies I contacted (about 10), only TWO made the effort to return my call(s). One was Pedata in Tucson and the other was PPL in Houston.

The guy at Pedata was very cordial, but he offered me an extremely low cash price. Coach is worth $186k according to lowest NADA price with no added features. They offered $100k (53% of value).

Pedata also offered to consign it for me at $120k net (64% of value). But the lowness of that estimate made it hard for me to trust them.

PPL has not given me any projected values. They won't appraise it until it's on their lot. But their coaches are generally selling for about 85% to 98% of the lowest NADA value. More specifically, their average sale in 2016 for coaches above $100k is 91% of value.

So even if mine were to sell at 75% of value, I'd be way ahead of any other offers I've received. Plus, PPL seems to be the most straight-forward and least 'creepy' of the places I've researched.

Don't know why I shared all that. Perhaps the numbers will help others who are researching their consignment options.

Good luck everyone.
I thought you needed to sell a $150k coach. If it is a $150k coach that's the value. $120k would-be 80% of $150, right?

40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I thought you needed to sell a $150k coach. If it is a $150k coach that's the value. $120k would-be 80% of $150, right?
Sorry, no. That was just a round, ball-park number I threw out at the beginning. Didn't have any idea at the time that we might drill down into more specific numbers later.

Real value is $186k according to NADA (lowest NADA price with no added features).

So all of my other percentages are based on that number, $186k.

Using that data point (lowest NADA) you can determine that PPL is currently selling their $100k+ diesel pushers for about 91% of value (2016 average).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other dealers that publish their actual SOLD prices.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #18
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
This is fair warning on PPL in Houston, they are liars and cheats. The easiest way to tell if they are lying is to look and see if their lips are moving. NEVER AGAIN!!!
FunGus, I'm very interested to know what problem(s) you had with PPL. Care to share?

They have a pretty stellar reputation as far as I'm aware. Complaints seem to be pretty uncommon. That's why I'm particularly interested in knowing what happened in your case.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Angry Desert autoplex

Do not buy a motorhome from them, PM me and I will tell you the what happened to me when I went to pick up the Beaver I bought from them.

Terry & Linda, 2 dogs Sammy & Ellie Mae 1 cat Martin. '03 Beaver Monterey Newport 39'10" 350 HP with 1050# Torque, Magnum Chassis
Toad, '05 Saturn Vue on dolly
Terry L T is offline   Reply With Quote