Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Hi there Everybody!!
My wife and I will be joining the RV world next year as soon as she retires in December. Currently doing our homework/ research on the Class A diesel MH. My wife fell in love with the Newmar 34 footer. My question is this, we saw a MH (2013) Newmar at a RV dealer which was on consignment. They pushed really hard and we really liked the coach but we're not ready at this time. Is there a given rate or amount or percentage that dealers charge for their consignment efforts.
I'm just thinking if it didn't sell in the future if there was a way to contact the owner directly after a period of time and the MH didn't sell or will I be sticking my neck out since I first saw the MH at the dealer. Just wondering if it's worth the try down the line.

boscoe911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
It's worth a shot however the dealer will not give you any information about the motorhome's owner. Dealers usually charge 10% to 15% of the final sale price as their commission for handling the sale.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Is the dealer providing any value-added service or support in this deal? If so, maybe you are getting something for the commission that's added on.
Our "Cottage on Wheels" is a
1998 Southwind 32V on GM Chassis
GrampaDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
We bought our MH that way from Camping World. CW repaired or replaced everything satety-related, and detailed the coach after purchase. Their total outlay was over $2,000 repairing or replacing those items. The service manager said that cost would be back-charged to the owner. Had I bought directly from the owner, I doubt that would have happened.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
My last rig was consignment at the dealer. They charged the seller a flat fee of $1000. I had several repairs done as part of the deal and an awning installed. This was deducted ultimately from what the buyer took home on the deal. I agree with the earlier post that a private party would probably not have done what the dealer did and may well not have come down on the price enough to make up for the needed repair.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Two things

1. Many times dealers /brokers earn their money by keeping you out of trouble and getting you a better deal than if you went direct to the seller. Meaning, the dealer just needs to sell you "a" coach not a particular one. The private seller needs to sell you his. And motorhomes become owners "babies". If you want to offer a low price you will not insult the broker, but you may insult the owner.

2. Make sure that 34' coach has a long enough chassis for the house. Diesel pushers all have the drive (rear) tires in front of the motor. That means that usually motorhomes shorter than 36' have a chassis too short for the house to get optimum handling. Key to any vehicle is safety. A motorhome needs a long enough chassis to handle securely in emergency situations. Many motorhomes are built with proper chassis. And many are built with a chassis that is too short. Do not assume a maker with a high reputation does not do this. Foretravel and Country Coach both have. For reference there is an active thread on this forum on the Country Coach section about a guy having handling problems with a short coach.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
The price is whatever you negotiate, regardless of who you buy it from, be it a dealer or private sale. There are pros and cons to each. But trying to back-door the dealer is not the way I would go. They have time and money invested in selling the coach. Just showing it to you, while parked on their lot, listed in inventory, is an investment on their part.
There are also contractual issues between the seller and the company selling it, and there are typically pretty strong penalties for the seller if they were to do what you're suggesting.

The seller has agreed to give up part of their proceeds, emphasis on THEIR proceeds, in exchange for the dealer's help in handling the sale.
If you think you can get a better deal overall from a private seller, then go that route...but I wouldn't try to scam the system by going around the dealer.
Just my $.02...

Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
Also, you didn't mention how you will be using the coach. If you plan on fulltiming I would be looking at something bigger than 34' with at least two slides. If just using it for short period of time than 34' will probably work.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Our coach was bought off the consignment lot at a dealership. Because it was sold by the dealership it was serviced and fully checked out before we took delivery. They ran the same PDI that they do on the new units as well as a complete walk through. Trying to back door a dealer, will not get you these, services. After shopping for over a year, we felt we got a great deal , from a great dealer, on a "consignment coach".
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
If you'd like to browse consignment units. I'd recommend the PPL Motor Homes in Houston & New Braunfels web site. www.pplmotorhomes.com . They have gas and diesel listings.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote