RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Contemplating a switch from older Class A Diesel

For those of you who have much greater experience in the RV lifestyle, we are contemplating moving from our 40 DP to a 5th wheel or newer gas Class A bunkhouse in the next year or two. This Class A is our only experience with a RV.

Some things we are considering:
1. Maintenance costs: regular maintenance on a HD truck or gas coach vice a 40 DP are night and day

2. Full Time Living: we will be living on the Class A for the first part of our next tour of duty and plan to continue this every time a transfer. We love our Class A and have converted the closet into a crib for him and would be converted again to a bunk set up, if we keep it. We like the separate room option of a 5th wheel, where he has his space and we arent waking him up getting into bed. Gas bunkhouses still create us passing by sleeping quarters for him to get in bed, but are better than his bed/crib immediately next to ours

3. Young Family: we have one child, we will only have one more at most and at this point are sticking to one. Class A was nice for convenience when traveling with him as a baby. He now rides in a car seat much better, but it would be nice to still have the restroom in motion option, saving stops for fuel and when I have to go to the restroom

4. Use: When not living in it, we take 4-8 trips per year ranging from weekends to 10 days

5. Price: I can be in a higher end 5th wheel or much newer gas coach for the same price Im into my 14 year old DP.

Would the 5th wheel or gas Class A be a better fit?

Am I going to hate pulling a 5th wheel vice driving the Class A?

Is the gas Class A going to be underwhelming?

We are still a year to two years out from this and taking our time to make sure we make the right decision.

Any thoughts and insight are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

If it were me I'd keep the older DP as it is built better than what is on the market today, especially the trailers that absolutely have no quality checks while being manufactured.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #3

Unless there is a major issue, I too fall in the camp of going with what you have. I assume you are sticking to the used market, so better the devil you know.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

I agree with both posts in sticking with what you have. The 5th wheel has some definite advantages, one being able to use the truck for other purposes and probably a better ride and easier drive then a gas class A but like mentioned the quality just isn't there on the newer ones.
You will miss the driving the DP if you get a gas job, it's like night and day at least to me it is.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

Thank you all for your responses. I should add, the 5th wheels also seem to have a lot more livable space, which for full-timing is a huge factor for us.

If we were going 5th wheel, we would probably go new (as long as I could get a good discount). If we went gas Class A, wed be looking used, 3-5 years old, so someone else takes the big depreciation hit.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
We’ve had fifth wheels and a type A dp (new-and no apologies to anybody). For us the fifth wheels were more residential and were great when we were in one place for awhile. For traveling we enjoy the type A more for the integrated systems, the ability to easily use the systems when moving or rest stops, and the comfort. Our fifth wheels we had to open one or more slides to eat lunch or whatever which may sound minor but gets old on a long trip pretty easily. You are doing your research and you’ll get opinions that’ll cover the gamut based on folks personal experiences, but it really comes down to whichever unit and type that not only checks the most boxes but also just “feels right” for you.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #7

I have rented class A gas pullers for a few years. I eventually bought a DP and would never get a gas puller. The noise from the engine was always annoying. The gassers not only have the sound right where the driver and passenger are, they are higher pitched thus more annoying. The diesel is much more mellow, less frenetic, and way back there.

johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, switch