Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Continental vs Toyo

At 7 years, I had told myself I would replace my coach tires. They look fine except the fairly common river wear on G670's.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice to either Toyo's or Continental HSR-1. The Continentals are $100 more per tire than the Toyo's.

Looking for anyone with experience with either tire brand on a motorhome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger
At 7 years, I had told myself I would replace my coach tires. They look fine except the fairly common river wear on G670's.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice to either Toyo's or Continental HSR-1. The Continentals are $100 more per tire than the Toyo's.

Looking for anyone with experience with either tire brand on a motorhome.
We had Toyo's on our last coach. Wore great just traded coach for new mh. Condition of tires was one of the contributing factors that sold our trade before we left the dealership. They rode a little stiff but never weighed the coach on all four corners and adjusted psi relative to Toyo recommendations. Good tire for the money.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

i have toyo's and love them. have not used continental's for years so i can't comment on them
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
smlranger,

I installed Toyo M154, 265/75R 22.5 tires on my 2006 Journey 36G last May 2011. The ride seems to be about the same as the Michelin's I replaced (maybe a tad stiffer) I think because the sidewall of the Toyo's are a little stiffer. My only problem is now I have a slight wander to the steering which I have not yet addressed. I'm hoping that a front end wheel alignment will correct this. The coach has had a four corner weigh and the Toyo's are set to the correct pressure for my application.

Hope this helps,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have no experience with Continental/General tires in a motor home application but have had excellent results with them in a commercial truck operation. As with any tire; proper size, load rating, tire maintenance and air pressure are very important.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced the Goodyears on the rear axle with Continental hsr1 last Spring - got about 6000 miles on them now and no complaints at all.

Both are excellent brands. I'd probably take the Toyos if they were cheaper, but Toyo didn't have my size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Got 6 year old Continental HSR's no problems so far. Will replace them with the same when the time comes.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

When we bought our rig in the summer of 2010, it had the original OEM (chassis manufacture date) 2001 Goodyears on it. Because we're firm fans of Les Schwab Tires and have a local dealer, we went with Toyo, which is a Schwab "house" brand. The manager of the local store, knowing the tires were for an RV, searched their warehouse stock and found a set of six tires with the same manufacture date that was only six weeks before I bought them.

With all new stainless steel valve stems and dynamic balancing, six tires came to just under $2300.

We'd taken one short trip (150 miles out and back), plus bringing the rig home about 30 miles, and the difference in ride quality was obvious.

We didn't use the RV as much as planned last year because of eventually fatal medical problems with our older dog, so I can't say anything about tire life. We've only put 3500 miles on them so far.

Being under the Les Schwab warranty system is something you wouldn't have back east, so the choice of Toyo is a bit more subjective. Certainly, I'm very pleased with ours.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback. Six Toyo's out the door locally will be about $2,640. I have now discovered that another local dealer can get Hankook AH12's in my size and he has quoted $2,880.00 for six of those.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I bought Toyo M154's about two years ago and they have served well. Rides fine and I have only had to add air twice after winter storage.

I was lucky, at the time six tires with current date codes cost $1850 installed.

Dick
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...we went with Toyo, which is a Schwab "house" brand.
Not sure what you mean by a "Schwab house brand". Toyo is a major, worldwide tire manufacturer, not a private label tire from Schwab.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote