Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I have a brand new Class A motorhome with the Onan generator. I have an intermittent/weird issue that i've worked with the dealer on and can't seem to find a resolution.

What happens is that the top breaker on my generator keeps tripping. However it only does it when I am driving. I can be setup all night in a parking lot running more things drawing more amps and its fine. I get out on the road and it trips 30 to 45 minutes in roughly and then I have no overhead AC while driving. We have replaced the breaker itself thinking it might be loose and nothing. They have also found that it wasn't wired correctly as it's 2 30A breakers. I am at a loss here as i've had it back to the dealer 5 or 6 times for this. Any help would be appreciated.
Can you be more specific about the "top breaker"? Is it possible you have something on the same circuit when travelling than when on shore power? Have you considered the possible difference in wiring between Gen and Shore power? (if there is any) I am wondering about the statement from the dealer that it was wired wrong. That usually translates to "I dont know what the problem is" Which, of course is obvious by now.

Speaking of,,, did you call the factory?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Correct me if I was wrong but if there was a short that would be detected by that method it would've tripped inside the breaker box and not on the actual generator wouldn't it?
You are correct. Have you ever tried running the generator and the AC with the coach stationary to see if the breaker trips then?

Q
Old 11-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #45

I just scanned a thread where my question was answered, sorry. That puts the blame back on vibration from the road and back to a loose ground possibility. IMHO
Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I just scanned a thread where my question was answered, sorry. That puts the blame back on vibration from the road and back to a loose ground possibility. IMHO
A loose ground ?

The ground on a 120 volt system doesn't carry any current. You can cut it off and everything will still work.

It can be potentially unsafe, but still not going to trip a circuit breaker.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #47

Quote:
That is correct on when on generator and when moving. On shore power, or on generator while camping/stationary for the night it's fine all night.
That being said I personally would try the best I could to trace the wire from the genset to the transfer switch. It will be most likely either damaged insulation rubbing on the frame or chassis, also could be where someone was careless stripping back a wire and cut the insulation too much and left the conductor exposed touching the hot wire to the chassis, neutral wire or ground wire. In that case it would be close to a termination point or junction box. Look for signs of arching and a inspection mirror will probably help you see those hard to get to spots.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The OP definitely has a 50 amp service. You can see, in the transfer switch picture, a red " line 1 " a white neutral and a black " line 2 ". The green is ground and not switched.
Yes I have 50a and a 7k onan generator.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
You are correct. Have you ever tried running the generator and the AC with the coach stationary to see if the breaker trips then?

Q
Yes in the original post or somewhere i dont remember now I can run fine all night no problem on generator stationary.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
So before I left the campground i checked all the square nuts inside the transfer switch and all were tight. Re-checked again and no obvious rubbing or arcing or anything loose.

That said just drove 8 hours and the circuit didn't trip. The only thing I can figure changed, was i moved around the wires in the junction box just to see everything, and it was cooler outside so the AC didn't run as much. a new data point or maybe just dumb luck. We were at disney and it is a magical place!!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 AM   #51

Quote:
A loose ground ?

The ground on a 120 volt system doesn't carry any current. You can cut it off and everything will still work.

It can be potentially unsafe, but still not going to trip a circuit breaker.
Respectfully, Most here, including me, are interchanging the words "ground and common" OPs system combines the two because it is a floating ground circuit. So the "loose ground" might be called "loose common" and if this is turning the compressor on and off my post below will apply.

Most here are not considering the load on the circuit. If the ground wire to the AC unit is opening and closing it will cause the compressor to start and stop. An AC compressor might not restart if that happens due to the pressure in the lines that must equalize somewhat before the comp. can restart, This causes the amp draw in the circuit to go up, allot. This alone can trip the breaker because the LRA (locked rotor amps) for the comp. is much more that the breaker can handle. If it were just a light going on and off the breaker would not be affected. The circuit itself wont trip the breaker, it is the load (in this case the AC) that can do that.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #52

Quote:
Respectfully, Most here, including me, are interchanging the words "ground and common" OPs system combines the two because it is a floating ground circuit. So the "loose ground" might be called "loose common" and if this is turning the compressor on and off my post below will apply.

Most here are not considering the load on the circuit. If the ground wire to the AC unit is opening and closing it will cause the compressor to start and stop. An AC compressor might not restart if that happens due to the pressure in the lines that must equalize somewhat before the comp. can restart, This causes the amp draw in the circuit to go up, allot. This alone can trip the breaker because the LRA (locked rotor amps) for the comp. is much more that the breaker can handle. If it were just a light going on and off the breaker would not be affected. The circuit itself wont trip the breaker, it is the load (in this case the AC) that can do that.
I'm sorry, but to call a Neutral conductor a ground or common ?, is not correct.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #53

Quote:
I'm sorry, but to call a Neutral conductor a ground or common ?, is not correct.
Of course it is, Anybody with any electrical knowledge will not be confused by the terminology. In the case of a Motorhome The ground and common are all the same so they can also be called the much less used term, neutral.

Q
Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #54

Quote:

But don't AC units have timers that prevent compressor restart for several minutes to prevent just this scenario? I know every AC I have ever owned has this feature.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #55

I had the same issue and replaced the main cable and socket. Problem solved. Turned out the plug was bad but you couldn't tell by looking at it.
sadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
But don't AC units have timers that prevent compressor restart for several minutes to prevent just this scenario? I know every AC I have ever owned has this feature.
Two things, or so... Timers on AC units did not used to be universally used. They may be now. There are two types of timers that I am familiar with. A "break on make" and a "break on break" timer. Translated, this means the timer breaks the circuit when the circuit makes or when the circuit breaks. The compressor is locked out for a few minutes either way if the circuit is "bumped". Unless there is something different nowadays these devices are installed in the low voltage wiring, in series with the red wire, which is the hot lead. I am not sure they will work correctly if the common wire is rapidly making and breaking the circuit. If the intermittent open is in the high voltage side of the compressor wiring then I doubt the timer would even know there is a problem. IMHO

Q

Tags
generator