Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Update from Janice: So, still experimenting with things here. Yesterday the coach stayed stinch-free (except for a few minutes, which I'll explain later). The shower drain was covered, the sink drains were open, the plastic remained over the AAV. I washed a load of laundry in the RV last night, which brought the water level up to 2 bars on the sensors. No stinch last night or this morning. Since the black tank had four bars this morning, I filled the grey tank, then dumped both the black and grey tanks. No stinch. However, yesterday the vent fan came on mid-afternoon and I thought I was smelling a slight stinch. Turned off the fan, closed the vent, and whatever I was smelling went away. The same happened this afternoon. The unpleasant odor is very slight, but still there. Is that what would be happening if a roof vent were blocked? Maybe I'll get brave and remove the plastic covering from the AAV for tomorrow's experiment.

Bob, Janice & Guinness the Hound
2001 Monaco Executive (MuttRHome)
with Saturn Vue in tow
NINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
Sounds like the same problem we had. Sewer vent on the roof was close to the hall way vent, when we turned on the fantastic fan in the kitchen we were pulling in the sewer gasses coming out the roof vent stack in through the hall way vent so we thought is was coming from the shower or washer / dryer. Try closing your roof vents, open a couple front windows then turn on your kitchen fan, it should pull in nice fresh air rather than the sewer gasses on the roof. This is where the Cyclone Vents from Camping World saved us, put the Cyclone vents on both our black & grey tank vent stacks and we have absolutely no odours now. The action of these vents are to actually draw fumes out of the tanks and it just goes with the wind rather than let the fumes build up in the tanks and slowly bleed out the vents on your roof or where ever they could escape. The Cyclone vents cause a positive air flow circulating through you pipes and tanks at all times as long as there is even a slight breeze. Check out Camping World's web site and research these Cyclone vents and I'm sure you will be impressed!

Good luck!

mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We installed the 360 degree vents vs the cyclone vent because the 360 degree vents are low profile. Creates the same Venturi effect as the cyclone but we cover our coach in the winter and I was afraid that the cyclone might become a snag for my cover.
2008 Pacifica PC40E
Caddy SRX toad w/Blue Ox/Patriot tow setup
360 hp Cummings/Freightliner
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
While both vent styles use moving air to lower air pressure and help create a negative pressure on the vent pipe, they can't draw fumes from the tanks. The only inlet for air anywhere with the P traps on all drains, are the cheater vents under sinks are the only place air could enter the tanks, and that would only be the gray tank. The amount of air drawn in through the cheater vent would be minimum, not enough to remove odors. The negative pressure at the roof vent just helps keep a flushing toilet from venting into the bathroom.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote