Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Controlling steering overcorrection.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before.
Some of you find yourself constantly correcting your direction when driving down the road because you are overcorrecting when you are steering. This can almost be eliminated by grasping the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock position with your arms almost but not quite straight. This eliminated the constant steering corrections necessary when driving our coach and is not as uncomfortable as it seems. It also seemed to give me the most control especially in windy or tight driving situations.
Sorry to repeat this if it is common knowledge but I had not seen it mentioned before.
Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

If you are finding yourself becoming fatigued after only a few hours, you might want to look into a device like Steer-Safe. Those with IFS (independent front suspension) cannot use it.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You must have a Ford chassis.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

For great steering relief go to the web site of "Safe T Plus" look at the reviews, I agree completely with all of them. I installed the item myself in about an hour, what an amazing difference in handling. Well worth the money.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
You must have a Ford chassis.
Freightliner support also gives out much the same instructions so it's not just a Ford problem. Actually if you read the post it's the "nut" holding the steering wheel!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the Original Poster was talking about how HE was steering and over correcting, not the vehicle itself. I found that I was over steering our Ford chassis so I asked my brother in law, who is an over the road trucker, what I was doing wrong. He asked me "where are you looking when going down the road?" I said that I had read on one of these forums that pick a spot on your windshield and keep it on the centerline. His response...dumb dumb...your trying to drive down a 4 inch line! He then stated to drive with hands at 10 and 2, relax and look A HALF MILE DOWN THE ROAD. Works like a charm!
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
I think the Original Poster was talking about how HE was steering and over correcting, not the vehicle itself. I found that I was over steering our Ford chassis so I asked my brother in law, who is an over the road trucker, what I was doing wrong. He asked me "where are you looking when going down the road?" I said that I had read on one of these forums that pick a spot on your windshield and keep it on the centerline. His response...dumb dumb...your trying to drive down a 4 inch line! He then stated to drive with hands at 10 and 2, relax and look A HALF MILE DOWN THE ROAD. Works like a charm!
BINGO!
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lostdog has it exactly right. It may not have to be a half mile, but the idea is spot on.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

I agree about the safety plus. Put it in last week in about an hour. Amazing difference!
Thev10 and 2 advice is spot on as well.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
DING DING DING!! Give that man a cigar! I heard this years ago and have subscribed to the technique ever since and it works like a charm. Too many folks are so worried about keeping it between the lines and are literally looking ten feet in front of the coach at the right or left line on the highway. If you look a half mile down the road, your eyes naturally stay focused on the center of the road and your coach magically stays centered without even thinking about it. There's also a big fringe benefit to this technique. You actually see whats happening in front of you and have much more time to react to any bad situation in front of you.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the way, my ford chassis is the best handling gas platform I've ever driven and yes Ive had gm products. I also think the ford has a plusher ride.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
I consider overcorrecting the steering and keeping it centred in the lane two different issues. I also found that looking as far down the road as possible is the best way to keep it centred, per Lostdog's comments.
Another thing I discovered when driving in tight areas like construction zones where the lanes are narrowed and there is a barrier on one side it is best not to focus on the side you want to stay away from but to focus on the side you want to be closer to. I guess that makes sense but I had to try both methods before I found the correct one.
I found the 10 and 2 driving position very comfortable for long periods of time which I didn't think it would be. Having said that I can drive our coach with one hand when there is no wind and the road is smooth and level, but how many times does that happen.
I'm new to all this but I am slowly getting the hang of it. Now if I could just get over being nervous going into gas stations.
GPont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Another easy way to prevant oversteering ia to put your arm rests down on the captain's seat, firmly plant your elbows on them, and place your hands at either 9 and 3 or 10 and 2, whichever is more comfortable for you. You really can't make big steering wheel movements when driving with only your hands.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #14

I like to think about this as lowering our standards. LOL. It's easy to get hung up on 2" movements when you are micromanaging the lane position up close. You look down the road a bit and that 2" doesn't seem so important. These things do move around some, and some of that movement simply needs no response from us.

Tags
steering