Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have both but have only used the convection feature twice in 7 years. It's not hard to learn but I prefer the good old gas oven for some things. I would order another rig with both again...maybe I'll start liking the convection more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #16

Never used the oven yet. DW loves the CM and now wants one in the stick and brick kitchen as well

Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our convection oven cooks meat so well that I quit using the BBQ. Ours has the two round oven racks. I took a piece of that black grill mat everyone is selling and cut it in a circle just slightly larger than the round rack. I cook steak, pork chops and chicken on the grill mat/rack. The mat holds in the juices and makes the meat really tender.

For the poster that can't fit a 9"x 13" pan in the oven, just turn off the turntable. It doesn't need to spin.

I also skip the preheat. On mine, it takes 30 minutes to preheat. I just insert the meat and let it start cooking. Cuts the time by about a third.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #18

I'm glad we purchased the optional gas oven. The standard setup in our motorhome was a convection microwave and a gas cooktop. The area below the cooktop was a set of drawers unless you purchased the optional gas oven.

Our microwave is now in the shop for repairs for the second time in less than a year. It seems every time we go on an extended vacation the microwave quits and has to be repaired.

The first time it died we were on a 2 month tour so we stopped at a local Wal-Mart and purchased a counter top microwave. We got the built in fixed and left the counter top model at home when we hit the road in January. Low and behold it quit again when we were a week into a 6 week outing. Back to Wal-Mart for another counter top model. We now have 2 identical counter top microwaves. I'm going to find a place in the motorhome to store one just in case the built in dies a 3rd time.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have both a propane oven and convection/microwave oven; and we use both. We use the propane for our thin crust pizza, crisps up the crust so nice. For everything else we use the convection oven. Our has a removable metal rack for when the convection oven is used. A 10x13 jelly roll pan fits just fine. I haven't had to adjust the temp or time at all when using the convection oven. Love it, so glad we have it!!
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #20

Our new to us coach does not have a gas oven. The convection oven does the trick when hooked up to shore power, but I need the generator on when boondocking. For boondocking, the gas oven is an advantage. We make it work for us, but take a good look at your mission and if it involves being off the grid on a regular basis, I think having a gas oven is an advantage.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've only had a Advantium 120 units in our last two motorhomes. Still need to really learn how to use them!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hikerdogs.....out of curiosity, do you ever power your microwave with your inverter (if you have one)? Inverters are really tough on microwaves.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Hikerdogs.....out of curiosity, do you ever power your microwave with your inverter (if you have one)? Inverters are really tough on microwaves.
Our microwave has only been powered by shore power and the generator. We rarely turn on the inverter. When we do there's a substantial parasitic drain on the batteries from the TV's satellite receiver, and entertainment system.

A few times before it failed the first time it would sound like it was slowing down. I plugged our Good Governor voltage/cycle meter into the outlet and found it was putting out 120 volts at 60 cycles. We have left the Good Governor plugged permanently plugged into the outlet. It's never shown low voltage or low a cycle rate. In addition we also have a surge/voltage protector on the incoming shore power. It's supposed to cut the power below 108 volts and above 132 volts. Again it's never tripped in either direction.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
Our new to us coach does not have a gas oven. The convection oven does the trick when hooked up to shore power, but I need the generator on when boondocking. For boondocking, the gas oven is an advantage. We make it work for us, but take a good look at your mission and if it involves being off the grid on a regular basis, I think having a gas oven is an advantage.
I agree with this, I like my new convection but when we are desert camping the only drawback is running the genny to cook in the oven. Not a big deal because things cook fast in there. I like the convection and really do not miss the old style oven.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I took a piece of that black grill mat everyone is selling and cut it in a circle just slightly larger than the round rack. I cook steak, pork chops and chicken on the grill mat/rack. The mat holds in the juices and makes the meat really tender..
I have a couple of those mats but I never thought about using one in the C/O. Great idea!

Our Convection Oven is a GE and we use it a lot. Never had a propane oven so we can't compare the difference. Also, we use the convection setting on the home oven much more often than the regular setting.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our coach it was used and had the convection micro and just a cooktop.
We have to bake all our own breads and such due to my gluten free diet.
The racks were missing out of the micro so we found one that would work. We never had much luck in baking in the thing and maybe it is possible it just does not work right. We tried many things that others told us to try.
I installed a gas oven in the coach and problem solved. My wife would not get another coach that didn't have or couldn't be changed to a gas oven.
Now the turntable has quit in the thing so it is time to replace it. Do I spend the big bucks for the convection model or just a regular over the stove model for less dollars.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #27

Our first coach had a gas oven which we found hard to control (we were used to electric ovens). We bought our second coach used and it had neither a gas oven nor a convention oven. I replace the microwave with a microwave/convention combination. It works well for us and is a heck of a lot better use that the gas oven was. We will have no qualms about not having a gas oven in any future coach.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
The need to learn the Convection oven on the motor home made the house convection oven the "go to" oven at home.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote