Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #1

Hello all, been lurking for a while and appreciate all the great posts. We are a family of 4 plus dog with a 3 & 4 year old. Been rving in a friends 35' Damon the last three or so years and have decided buy a Class A within the next year. Wife loves the bunk models but im not interested in buying new plus I want more than 5K towing so I need an older one or two slide pusher $<70K. Finally here is the main question has anyone converted the rear bedroom to a kids room. Wife and I can get up and clean the front of the bus much quicker in the morning if the kids are out of the way. Plus when they go to bed in back we still have all the functionality of the living areas. So anyone having made any similar modifications to a motorhome speak up. Plus any suggestions on used models which best fit my needs and price would be very welcome. Sorry about the long post thank you everybody in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #2

Hello all, been lurking for a while and appreciate all the great posts. We are a family of 4 plus dog with a 3 & 4 year old. Been rving in a friends 35' Damon the last three or so years and have decided buy a Class A within the next year. Wife loves the bunk models but im not interested in buying new plus I want more than 5K towing so I need an older one or two slide pusher $<70K. Finally here is the main question has anyone converted the rear bedroom to a kids room. Wife and I can get up and clean the front of the bus much quicker in the morning if the kids are out of the way. Plus when they go to bed in back we still have all the functionality of the living areas. So anyone having made any similar modifications to a motorhome speak up. Plus any suggestions on used models which best fit my needs and price would be very welcome. Sorry about the long post thank you everybody in advance.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bob Shelton and family to irv2.
There is nothing stopping you from converting the rear bedroom to double bunks other than windows in rear or the ones on either side, ceiling height maybe a factor also. If you take your time and lay it out you should get it right.
Just consider when trade in time comes in that you need another family in mind.
The bed legs will have to attach to floor so nothing moves around and save as much closet space as possible.
Good luck in your hunt and project.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #4

Bob Shelton, Welcome to the IRV2 website, hope you find the coach your looking for to make your bedroom conversion, good luck with your project. Ed.S
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bob...
Welcome to IRV2! I will admit that I am not envious of traveling with a 3 & 4 year old..but I admire the thought of converting a back area into a "kids bunk room". I think it is a great idea to convert the back area into a sleeping area for wee ones - which leaves you the living area for adults after hours.

Good luck finding the perfect coach for your new project!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Welcome to irv2! Anything is possible and I believe there are other posts here about converting from two twins to a king or queen or the other way around. So converting to bunks should work as well. Mind you, I don't do building or construction but I have read these types of threads. Years ago we knew someone who used the same concept of kids in the back, parents on the fold out couch. Worked for them. In that case the rear bedroom already had twin beds. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:07 AM   #7

Bob, Damon has the 2007 challenger 376c model with bunks in the rear slide msrp is about 105,000-25%=78,750. real close to your $'s. You may be able to look into one even cheaper end of the quarter end of the month thing (end of march). The conversion sounds like a fun project and if you go that route we want pictures.

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #8

Thank you for all the responses. The only problem with the newer gassers is the tow rating. Plan on towing a trialer about 50% of the time. It appears I'll end up in a mid to late 90's DP with one slide. I can do all my own carpentry/woodwork and have seen some aftermarket fold up bunks online that look interesting. Good to see that others have done similar would love to hear from anyone who has done a similar conversion. Thought Bunks instead of twins so we could throw an air mattress back there or use the room for playing inside on wet days. Again thank you all for your responses.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #9

We all have different needs, but I don't see why you need to convert the rear to bunks. My wife and I use the kids in back, adults in front for a number of reasons. We just make them sleep in the same bed. They are both around 6 ft now, so it shouldn't be much trouble for smaller tykes. They just know they don't get their own bed when we're camping. What do you do when you rent a motel room? Do the kids get separate beds or do you put them together.

If they insisted on separate beds, I would put a small air mattress in the floor at the foot of the bed.

I am not saying in any way that your idea is a bad one, I am suggesting you at least try the alternative before cutting up a motor home, only to find your customization limited your resale market.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #10

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">The kids are young enough to share a bed. I wouldn't bother converting anything for a couple of years. That will also give you time to see if you like the motorhome before doing anything to it that may make it harder to sell down the road. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #11

Bob, I remember seeing a post somewhere from a guy who converted the rear area of their MH into a playroom for the kids. At night he had a bed rigged that would drop down from the ceiling. Not sure if it was one large bed or two smaller ones.

99 Itasca Suncruiser V10
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Shelton:
Hello all, been lurking for a while and appreciate all the great posts. We are a family of 4 plus dog with a 3 & 4 year old. Been rving in a friends 35' Damon the last three or so years and have decided buy a Class A within the next year. Wife loves the bunk models but im not interested in buying new plus I want more than 5K towing so I need an older one or two slide pusher $&lt;70K. Finally here is the main question has anyone converted the rear bedroom to a kids room. Wife and I can get up and clean the front of the bus much quicker in the morning if the kids are out of the way. Plus when they go to bed in back we still have all the functionality of the living areas. So anyone having made any similar modifications to a motorhome speak up. Plus any suggestions on used models which best fit my needs and price would be very welcome. Sorry about the long post thank you everybody in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

If I was going to make my own bunk bed model out of a used motorhome that I had not purchased yet I would scrutinize the current bunkhouse models available such as the 06/07 Winnebago offerings and then look for a used motorhome with a private bath and a 6 foot wardrobe closet in the hallway and convert the closet into bunks. If I was going to give the kids the master bedroom I would purchase a twin bed model and save myself all the work forgetting about the bunks. At most you would need to get a set of bed rails until they got a bit older.

Just a thought for you to consider.

Let us know what worked best for you.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #13

Georgetown also offers a rear bunkhouse in a 35' model that appears to be in your price range. That way you could buy new and get all the benefits of warranty. Just my .02

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #14

When we were recently looking at a new class A, we saw a safari that had a murphy bed in the rear bedroom. It would be purfect for kids. Tha only thing that kept up from buying it was that it was out of our price range, but it seems as though you could purchase the murphy bed setup and install it in any coach. Look at the Monaco web site and go th the safari floor plans. It is kind of cool. In the day or on rainy days it can be folded up and leaves a great space for the kids to play in.

2006 Monarch SE 37"
stevelp is offline   Reply With Quote