Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Convert 30 amp to 50 amp

Bought our 1st Class A two weeks ago, having a blast finding out all about her. '94 Fleetwood Southwind, I would like the ability to run both roof a/c's at the same time, is there a "fix" or a way to change over to 50-amp. Existing schematics would be helpful if it is possible. I would like to thank all of you "pros" that have taken the time to respond to what I'm certain are my elementary and oft posed questions, CBS <><

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Converting and rewiring the whole coach would be a job for a professional unless you really understand how 50 amps are delivered to the power panel. You might think about a second cable, 30 amps, that just plugs in and powers rear A/C. That could be wired rather easily with a box and circuit breaker. Use a pigtail that converts 30 amps to fit the 50 amp outlet. Then your second cord would plug into the 30 amp outlet. Most all 50 amp pedestals also have 30 amps, although many campgrounds don't allow both outlets to be used.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the coach come with two A/C units and 30 amp service? If so, is there a management system that handles the two A/C units, sheds power as needed, etc.?

This how my 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow with 30 amp service works.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #4

Hey Guitar Lefty, here's a link to how I did it on a Mirada that we owned, not sure if yours is set up the same way, but take a look it may solve your problem.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run two AC's with 30 Amp Service UPDATE UPDATE

Hope this helps
Happy Trails and Welcome to the Forum
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181
Converting and rewiring the whole coach would be a job for a professional unless you really understand how 50 amps are delivered to the power panel. You might think about a second cable, 30 amps, that just plugs in and powers rear A/C. That could be wired rather easily with a box and circuit breaker. Use a pigtail that converts 30 amps to fit the 50 amp outlet. Then your second cord would plug into the 30 amp outlet. Most all 50 amp pedestals also have 30 amps, although many campgrounds don't allow both outlets to be used.
Great, I'm checking to see if the second line for the rear a/c unit can be tied with the coach power supply and 1) 50-amp pigtail connecting to the park hookup, thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I changed my Journey over. Was not a very difficult job, however I am a retired electrician. Things that may need to be changes is transfer switch, distribution panel ( breaker Panel ), main power cord and a lot of wiring. Will also need a good set of wiring diagrams. Was worth it for me to be able to run everything at the same time.

Jerry.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not too hard to do if you have some electrical knowledge. But, if you are not electrically inclined, I would look to a professional fro help.

Ken
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
Hey Guitar Lefty, here's a link to how I did it on a Mirada that we owned, not sure if yours is set up the same way, but take a look it may solve your problem.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run two AC's with 30 Amp Service UPDATE UPDATE

Hope this helps
Happy Trails and Welcome to the Forum
Jim
Awesome
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLefty View Post
Awesome
Thanks Lefty, I have a Strat, a Palmer acoustic/electric thin body, an Epiphone LP Bass, and an Epiphone/Gibson Banjo that I am trying to learn
Play the Bass and guitar's in Church.
Have to Jam sometime.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all campsites are 50 amp capable.. The first suggestion (The link to the other article) is a good idea even if you covert to 50 amps.

I live in a 50 amp Class A.. I did something very muck like that article "Broke out" the 2nd A/C to a plug and outelt) and often run it on it's own Independent 20 amp 12ga extension cord isolating it from the rest of the RV. Works great.

However a full 50 amp conversion has additional benefits.. But I'd still do the break out box.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid

Thanks Lefty, I have a Strat, a Palmer acoustic/electric thin body, an Epiphone LP Bass, and an Epiphone/Gibson Banjo that I am trying to learn
Play the Bass and guitar's in Church.
Have to Jam sometime.

Happy Trails
Jim
awesome Jim, I've played for about 45-years and have taught for over 30-years, actually played in concert with Eddie Money back in the day. I have a small shop in Trussville, Al.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World