RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

Convert manual awning to electric??

I discovered that there is a kit for converting a manual awning to electric:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC434723.html
Does anyone have any experience with having this kit installed on a fiberglass sided motor home? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I did contact Newmar, but they would only remove the manual awning and replace with an electric awning and said that it would take at least 10 hours to do the wiring....sounds like a lot of hours, which equals $$$$. At that rate, I'll keep the manual awning!

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #2

Not an answer but a side note. Keep the manual awning! I traded for a new Thor that came with electric awning. Yes it was nice to push a button to raise or lower but that's where it all stopped. To me they are not as strong, or able to withstand the littlest wind. I have since traded to an older Winnie with manual awning and am so happy about that.

be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:53 AM   #3

Agreed.....my son put mine out before storm then didn't want to go in , broke a shaft.My friend juat needed dealer to come out disassemble his to get retracted and go home. All manual methods didn't work
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Keep the manual awning!To me they are not as strong, or able to withstand the littlest wind.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Not an answer but a side note. Keep the manual awning! I traded for a new Thor that came with electric awning. Yes it was nice to push a button to raise or lower but that's where it all stopped. To me they are not as strong, or able to withstand the littlest wind. I have since traded to an older Winnie with manual awning and am so happy about that.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm with you, I like our manual awning! Yes, it's more trouble than pushing a button, but I think it's a lot more trouble-free! I can easily set it to any angle I want!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I'm in the "now electric awning" camp.
I replaced my manual set up with electric and ain't looked back.

Mine is a Carefree Colorado, I rolled old arms out about 2 feet, to allow the roller to rest on a ladder, that I secured with a bungee cord, replaced one side at a time. Right by my self. Been much better if I had a helper.

Took most of a day, but wiring was the easy part. I was able to drill a 5/16" hole just where the inside lighting switches are and use that for power.

Works great, has Bluetooth wireless, I use my smart phone to operate or the inside switch.
Has a wind sensor as well.

AND most importantly I can't bump my head on the old manual arm!
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses! I understand why some folks prefer manual awnings. I had an electric awning on the Winnebago trailer we owned and it was too light weight couldn't handle even light breezes without bouncing up and down. I ended up using tied downs when I wanted to leave it open for awhile.

What intrigued me with the Solera conversion kit is that I would still have a overall heavier awning with the convenience of being electric and it would seem to require less hours than replacing the entire awning, which I am not inclined to do. Although our Bay Star is a 2012, the previous owner didn't even use the awning, and it really is almost like new.

But, thanks for the replies!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

I've had both and prefer manual. I would never leave an electric awning deployed when we were not there. We were recently parked at a COE park in Illinois when a thunderstorm rolled in. We rolled our electric one right away. One neighbor had left his manual awning deployed while they went out, and because it was manual several of us were able to roll it up for him before it got damaged. For electric, one would need to enter the vehicle to roll it up.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Yes, I had the kit installed 5 years ago works fine. Had it done at Good Sam rally. You can get it done at Quartzite or Yuma. Cost around$700.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I discovered that there is a kit for converting a manual awning to electric:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC434723.html
Does anyone have any experience with having this kit installed on a fiberglass sided motor home? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I did contact Newmar, but they would only remove the manual awning and replace with an electric awning and said that it would take at least 10 hours to do the wiring....sounds like a lot of hours, which equals $$$$. At that rate, I'll keep the manual awning!
Tagalomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I've had both and prefer manual. I would never leave an electric awning deployed when we were not there. We were recently parked at a COE park in Illinois when a thunderstorm rolled in. We rolled our electric one right away. One neighbor had left his manual awning deployed while they went out, and because it was manual several of us were able to roll it up for him before it got damaged. For electric, one would need to enter the vehicle to roll it up.
Most electric awnings now have a wind sensor, so leaving it out is not really an issue. I have come back twice to the MH and found my awing retracted
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #11

Thanks for the comments. I've decided at this point that I'm going to postpone any action on that idea. My priority now is to get two window awnings for the drivers side of the Bay Star (windows over dinette and couch).
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'm in the "now electric awning" camp.
I replaced my manual set up with electric and ain't looked back.

Mine is a Carefree Colorado, I rolled old arms out about 2 feet, to allow the roller to rest on a ladder, that I secured with a bungee cord, replaced one side at a time. Right by my self. Been much better if I had a helper.

Took most of a day, but wiring was the easy part. I was able to drill a 5/16" hole just where the inside lighting switches are and use that for power.

Works great, has Bluetooth wireless, I use my smart phone to operate or the inside switch.
Has a wind sensor as well.

AND most importantly I can't bump my head on the old manual arm!
Mackwrench,
Did you upgrade your original awning or did you do a full replacement?
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschlott View Post
Mackwrench,

Did you upgrade your original awning or did you do a full replacement?
Only replaced arms. I used same roller, awning fabric and cover.

Really not a bad job/upgrade

.....I can adjust the wind sensitivity to where anything much more than a fart will roll it up automatically...
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Thanks for the comments. I've decided at this point that I'm going to postpone any action on that idea. My priority now is to get two window awnings for the drivers side of the Bay Star (windows over dinette and couch).
Excellent choice. I added window awnings on ours, much nicer to have the shade over the windows.
One thing I did 'wrong' though. I mounted the awnings just like they said, everything works and looks fine and dandy. However when we sit at the dinette all we can see when we look out was the back side of the awning - that gets pretty boring after just a few minutes. So I ordered and installed a second bracket about 10 inches above the original one (this is the small bracket you hook the strap to). NOW we have both shade AND a view.

Tags
awning, electric, manual