Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #29

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
not to mention the HP loss with CNG....CNG built engines have far higher compression ratios than gassers. Gassers with marginal HP will be totally unsatisfactory if converted to CNG
If you converted to Amsoil you could make up the difference in mileage loss
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #30

Pickens has an interest in a company under the stock ticker of CLNE - many of the garbage refuse companies are turning to CNG - ther is a reason for it.....however a single application and not a fleet conversion probably doesn't make sense right now.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #31

I believe this whole debate started about the cost and viability of CNG for RV USAGE. I am glad you cited the beautiful Wyoming "vistas" while driving a GAS OR DIESEL motor home through such vistas! You contributed to the problem just like the rest of us. Dice up the issue any way you want but ultimately the intelligent use of this vast tesource that the USA ALREADY OWNS MAKES SENSE.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #32

the debate goes on. don't forget to factor in all the road taxes that will be added to any alternative fuel .
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
LOL, Now that was FUNNY!
cam_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
I'm sure the snake oil salesmen would try that line to sell their products
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I know it’s been awhile since anyone responded to this but CNG and LNG are both sold equivalents to a gallon of gas or fuel.

So if you buy a gallon of fuel (which ever kind you want) they have made it a true gallon of all the way around.

Also there are a lot more stations today than there was a few months ago. It can be found in great supplies in the US too so we can be self sufficient. I think it will just take time as with anything new to figure out what is best for each of us.

Natural gas is 75% hydrogen, and only 25% carbon. Burning natural gas provides the same byproducts as breathing: water and CO2. Running your fleet on natural gas can reduce your carbon footprint by more than 25%.

The bottom line: Running vehicles on LNG or CNG can be significantly more cost effective than diesel or gasoline. Abundant natural resources, advancements in drilling technologies, as well as volatile oil prices are making natural gas the most cost effective fuel choice for our nation.
IMHO
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #36

I think that this is going to happen, but the trucking industry will be first. Makes a lot of sense. RV's and personal vehicles will follow. 1/3 the fuel cost is a huge advantage. Sure would be nice for us in the RV. I don't see RV's being retrofitted, but news vehicles could come to be run on gas. The money savings is the big thing for me. Carbon footprints are a debatable thing. anybody driving an RV has a hard time being concerned about it. The greenies are going full bore to stop fracking and get the price back up.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Retro fitting is an option as it is with semi trucks. It's pricy but it will be just as pricy getting in a new RV, just might not notice it so much because mostly you would see the bottom line only. At least that is what I would see. Lol
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohapi View Post
[LEFT]I know it’s been awhile since anyone responded to this but CNG and LNG are both sold equivalents to a gallon of gas or fuel.

So if you buy a gallon of fuel (which ever kind you want) they have made it a true gallon of all the way around.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but the only accurate way to compare fuels is by BTU's contained per unit, and CNG is way behind gas/diesel whether the unit is a gallon or a pound.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #39

I think he was indicating that for price comparisons, the equivalent gallons would the same amount of energy so the mpg listed would be equivalent. I believe that this is the way it is calculated on EV's. The articles I have read have indicated that a natural gas car would be about 1/3 the price per mile, but the cube of the fuel tank would be about double in size and also have to be spherical or cylindrical in shape which would present problems to the designer.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I think he was indicating that for price comparisons, the equivalent gallons would the same amount of energy so the mpg listed would be equivalent. I believe that this is the way it is calculated on EV's.
Is it?

I've often wondered about those miles-per-gallon claims for electric vehicles, that is, whether it's purely gasoline-use, or whether the cost of the electricity is factored in somehow...

Thanks!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #41
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Is it?

I've often wondered about those miles-per-gallon claims for electric vehicles, that is, whether it's purely gasoline-use, or whether the cost of the electricity is factored in somehow...

Thanks!
Heres an answer for you. My CNG powered pickup. Chevy 1500 with 5.3l gas engine has been converted to dual fuel.

I am down ~ 18% on power on my naturally aspirated gasoline engine. (Dyno tested). I am also ~~ 18% up on my MPG (MPGGE) on natural gas vs. gasoline. Volumetric efficiency of a NA engine.

My emissions are ~ 80% reduced on CNG vs Gasoline with a properly running vehicle.

For the record, I have over 65000 miles on CNG in this vehicle and 7400 miles on Gasoline. It cost $9500 to convert this truck with a 30 year service life fuel tank.

I pay $1.29-$190 at public stations for CNG GGE (Which is a BTU equivalent calc).

Westport builds a turbocharged engine that is CNG, this is the typical engine seen in Bus applications. For RV needs a LNG system would provide for typical fuel range of 120 Gallons of diesel. Repowering would be expensive, a new RV with LNG would be a better solution.

It is a lot easier to first move the typical commuter vehicles to CNG. More mileage traveled per month also vs. RVs.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #42

I don't know a whole bunch about CNG conversions but my Son just hired on with WestPort on their Diesel Truck Division and is like a 6 State service manager based out of Plano , Texas. He talks like its going to be the next big thing . I'm sure ill learn and hear more about it all .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote