Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #1

Converter/Charger is making a chirping noise

My WFCO 55 amp convertor charger is making a weird high pitch chirp type squeal when the lights are on in our coach or basically when it is under a load and when we start up the coach we get a low voltage and a fast idle it says 13.4v then tap the break and its fine I think it has something to do with the convertor charger does anybody know where to check the voltage on this or on the batteries or do I have bad batteries I am pretty sure our charger is setup to charge both the coach and chassis batteries but if the convertor/charger is acting up it could be that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
According to WFCO, the fan will come on when there is a 15 amp load, and the high pitched squeal sounds like the cooling fan is going bad.
An inexpensive multimeter/VOM will let you follow the voltage and ultimately discover if the WFCO does charge both sets of batteries. Call their service department (877) 294-8997

Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm betting on fan also. In former life I learned how to lube the typical muffin fan and get lots more life from them. Most have a label in the center, remove it. There will either be a hole in the center or a plug that can be removed revealing hole, in hole is bering. If possible rotate object/fan till hole on top and a couple drops of oil, no more. OIL should be the best you can find, something better than 3 in 1 or clipper oil. Reinstall plug or clean surface around hole and cover with small piece of tape. If ready to replace fan try it, nothing to loose. This works really well on computer power supply fans.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

I will check the voltage later today hopefully but the chirping type sound does this wether the fan is running or not I am worried I have a bad set of house batteries or starting battery issue because when I start the coach it goes directly into a fast idle and the freightliner display says 13.4v or is this because the charger is not charging the starting batteries the coach is a 2006 model never had this issue before and we are getting ready to head south in about 2-3 weeks and we dont want any issues
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well, I don't know much about these units, but I do know that if it has a diode in it, when a diode goes bad in a vehicle's alternator, it can make a high pitch squeeling sound.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #6

The engine charging system (alternator) and the coach charging systems are seperate.

First thing you want to do is check the battery voltage with engine OFF and shore/generator/solar power all disconnected.

Then you want to do is isolate the 2 battery systems from each other and check your charging systems seperately. That 13.4VDC reading with the engine running does not sound healthy. Normal alternator charging voltage is up around 14.1VDC. The 13.4VDC value indicates your engine alternator is dead and the converter is operating at it's normal value but is trying to charge both the house and chassis battery systems. That might be a very high charging load and the converter is letting you know it's at full output trying to recharge all the batteries (chassis battery was drained some when you started the engine).

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Okay this is what i come up with on both chassis batteries

With the coach running at idle at the batteries i have 14.1 on the dash 13.7-13.6y
With the coach pluged in i have 13.83
With nothing pluged in i have 12.88

So correct me if I am wrong but this shows my converter/charger does charge my chassis batteries and since it is making a noise i guess that is going to be first item to replace any ideas to stay with the wfco or should i change things up.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #8

Okay this is what i come up with on both chassis batteries

With the coach running at idle at the batteries i have 14.1 on the dash 13.7-13.6y
With the coach pluged in i have 13.83
With nothing pluged in i have 12.88

So correct me if I am wrong but this shows my converter/charger does charge my chassis batteries and since it is making a noise i guess that is going to be first item to replace any ideas to stay with the wfco or should i change things up.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

coach batteries Register at 13.6 volts but it looks like they are or have maybe boiled.... They look like water is or has come out of them and there looks to be acid at the bottom of the batteries "white foam looking stuff"
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #10

I believe:
Chassis Batteries and alternator are OK. Reason - As I said earlier, 14.1VDC is normal for alternator output. The 12.88VDC reading (Engine OFF, Nothing plugged in) represents a surface charge after charging. Should drop to around 12.6VDC in a 24Hrs or so once the surface charge bleeds off. You can also turn on the headlights (engine off; Nothing plugged in) for a few minutes to drain of surface charge then remeasure the chassis battery votage. The 13.7-13.6VDC drop at the battery when engine is running can be due to cable length but is typically due to dirty connections.

Coach Batteries do not sound good. At 13.6 (Engine OFF; Nothing plugged in) it sounds like they have been over charged. The converter is reacting to this and it may be the source of the whine. I would have them checked.

So I can understand what you have and respond better please tell me:
1) What model Converter do you have? Different models have different features.
2) I know you have a large 40ft rig so do you have a Inverter/Charger?
3) How many coach batteries and size/type
4) Solar?
5) Do you have a B.I.R.D or Trick-L-Start system? B.I.R.D allows Alternator to coach battery and coach charging system to charge chassis battery. Trick-L-Start only allows coach system to charge chassis battery. You have something like on of these because you see 13.83VDC at chassis battery when coach is plugged in.

Dave
Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the help Dave we are also in virginia
We have 2 6 volt energizer batteries from sams club for the coach, convertor/charger is a wfco 8955 55amp , no solar , and the convertor charger i think is what is charging the batteries
Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #12

And a trip lite inverter charger never really have understood how all this works maybe i will learn
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #13

The WF-8955 (http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...erDocs/9-3.pdf) is a 3 stage converter/charger which is a plus. It should drop into float mode (13.2VDC) unless you have other system loads or there is a battery problem. Running continiously at 13.6 (Absorbtion mode) can overcharge a battery which your boiling symptoms relate to. Like I said before, get your batteries checked before doing anything other than adding destilled water to them. I am a bit suprised that a 2006 40ft coach does not have a large ( say 2000W) inverter/charger though. They have become more or less a standard on large coaches.

Dave
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #14

The convertor charger is putting out 13.6 and i think its stuck and that is what is causing the overcharging