Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Converter doesn't seem to charge batteries

We have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada. We took it for its first trip and for the first 3 days, everything was great. On the fourth day, the lights dimmed and finally we had no power. When we started the engine, power was restored. Also, when we turned on the generator, power was restored for awhile, but fades. Did I mention that we were plugged in shore line to 50 amp?
CoachmenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #2

Good diagnosis.
The primary job of the converter is to supply 12v to the RV when plugged in, secondarily to charge the batteries.
It is doing neither. When you start the engine the coach batteries are charged from the alternator.
Either the converter is not getting the 110v to operate or the path from the converter to the 12v system is bad.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Community Administrator

The converter may be bad. There are fuses on the converter. I would check them and the voltage at the outlet the converter is plugged into and the breaker for that outlet.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

You may have a case of "new-coach-itis".

Before you replace the converter, check the "house" batteries. As they get used, they tend to lose their water . You could try refilling any low battery cell with distilled water and re-charging. Did you get new batteries in your new coach? If it's a 2013 model, it should be under warranty and I'd take it to the dealer and get them to fix it. It's possible that the converter is overcharging the batteries, causing them to evaporate water, which causes them to lose capacity. The charger should be designed to turn itself way down when the batteries reach full charge. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

My friend had the same problem....Check outlet that converter/charger is plugged in at. If no power then breaker is thrown. His breaker looked fine but when we turned it off then back on , the outlet became live. All has been good ever since.
If outlet is live then check charger for fuses and internal breaker..
Good Luck
lt6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #6

And many converters are on a GFI circuit...kitchen or bathroom. Check that those are functional.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. We'll let you know what worked. If I can ask a duh question, where is the converter? We know what it looks like but can't find it to check the fuse.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a reason to contact the dealer. A new coach should have a warranty.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

1. most converters are under the refer, you remove 2 screws and take off a panel to reval the converter. converter puts out 13.2v to the battery
2. Check your coach battery's water; mine were showing the plates when I got it from the dealer. My coach battery is under the stairs.
3. Check all connections on the battery, incuding the ground which usually bolts to the frame.
4. call dealer

good luck
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachmenKat View Post
Thanks everyone. We'll let you know what worked. If I can ask a duh question, where is the converter? We know what it looks like but can't find it to check the fuse.
Some people have to follow the big red wire from the house battery solenoid under the chassis to where ever the manufacturer decided to put it. But cable costs money so they often put the converter as near the battery compartment as they can.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #11

Most RVs, and most surely the NEW ones, have some sort of metering of the 12 volt supply, to check battery condition and voltage output - seems to me to be a reasonable place to start checking...

It's also pretty easy to use a voltmeter right at the batteries with shore power or generator running, to measure battery voltage to see if the charging circuit is working or not...

If all that is beyond the OP's level of expertise, it's dealer time!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Sounds like a reason to contact the dealer. A new coach should have a warranty.
We called today and have an appointment for Wednesday. Thanks to all the replies we feel so much better informed. This site is the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #13

Let me guess. The converter is manufactured by WFCo? Mine (new) was overcharging batteries so badly, 14.7 V against a battery showing 100% capacity, that the water was not only boiled out, but acid has developed the proverbial bloom of white fluff at the drain hole out the plastic battery box, and drain outlet of the metal frame.
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your battery takes a charge when the engine is running. this tells you that you don't have a battery problem. Your outlet to the converter is the first thing to check. Find the converter. Plug in a tester or if you don't have one, plug in your hairdryer or any 120 volt appl. If you have 120 volts, check the output side of the converter. There is usually a 12V fuse at the converter, If this is good, follow the + (hot) output wire and look for a circuit breaker. reset the breaker.

Tags
batteries, converter