Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
converter failure

Well you know the old saying " if something fails its always at the worst time" Woke up at 5:30 freezing. Furnace didn't work house lights dim. I'm scratching my head and trying to get some heat for freezing grand children. Cranked coach and house lights got bright and furnace kicked on. Thankfully I had enough juice in house batteries to fire up the furnace. (briefly) I figured it was the converter from reading about them on this forum. It was saturday and I couldn't find the converter. (dcon't know what I would have done If I had found it. I was in pensacola Fl. and had to call Mr Mobile (rv repairs only) They came and we looked and looked everywhere for the converter. Under frig NO, In fuse panel NO, Behind fuse panel NO Where ac line comes into mh NO, Looked in adjecent panels NO, Bedroom No, Bathroom No, They were just about ready to give up and one said it has to be under the dinette seat that was next to the frig. Sure enough thats where it was. Took cusion off and 4 screws that hold the plywood bottom and there it was. Just wanted to let some people know were it was on my 1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35' Cost $451 Road service , labor, converter (75 watt) and Florida tax.Choke! works now!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Thanks for sharing. I sure this will help others.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
YC1

Outstanding service and a great price. On a Saturday too boot.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Hay BamaFan,

That sounds familiar. We were in a remote NC campground when everything suddenly got "real quiet" (know what I mean). Below freezing, dark, sleet hitting the roof, etc etc. Flashlight, voltmeter and a search warrant and I started looking for a problem. No trouble finding the inverter but it had completely failed and I didn't have a clue on how to bypass it (or even know that it was the problem for sure). Had to de-camp and head back to The Rocket City.

Which Pensacola area campground do you favor? We used to stay at Ft. Pickens but it was wiped out by a hurrykane and I have not been there for quite awhile...
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

OK, I'll be the spoil sport again. It would behoove all those that own an RV, Boat, Airplane, or Train, to know where EVERY replaceable part is in their unit.

Many people carry replacement parts with them.

All IMHO!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
OK, I'll be the spoil sport again. It would behoove all those that own an RV, Boat, Airplane, or Train, to know where EVERY replaceable part is in their unit.

Many people carry replacement parts with them.

All IMHO!

Ed
Ed you must have a nice sized parts trailer to tow.
If I had been carrying a spare inverter, I would still not have known what the real problem was. Probably would have figured it out eventually. Now, who is going to keep a spare $900 component in the storage bay. A water pump, maybe.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
RonNBam

Was it your inverter or converter? We stay at my son's home when we go to Pensacola. I think Ft Pickens has rebuilt.We plan on staying there one of the times when we go back. I have been told that it is a really nice place to stay
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ed-Sommers
Only had rv for 2 months. Had fuses bulbs etc(small parts) Know where most things are but haven't removed panels to check where converter was. I wouldn't know how to test it if I had known where it was LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Bob, I think the terminology for my component is "Inverter" but it does both 12V-to-120V and vise versa depending on shore power or gen power being available. I remember being completely baffled by the volt meter readings while trying to figure out my problem.

Ft. Pickens was just "rustic" enough for us with lots of shade trees and close to the waves. Really enjoyed the drive down the beach road to reach campground.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #10

0being full time, in addition to bulbs and Ect, I find that redundancy is well worth the cost. Personally, I carry spare inverter, converter, starter, alternator, TV receiver (Dish), heating method, and a host of other lesser things like the necessary cable and cable ends to manufacture different lengths of up to 2/0 cable. And of course, I know where everything is located.

I do no advocate everyone ought to do as I do, just those that prefer self sufficiency, and detest paying someone to do what is easily done for themselves. But the phone is the best, and only tool for those that wish "professional" help.

I do admit that I carry no spare tire, and while I remove all six of my 11R22.5 tires yearly, I do not wish to do so alongside of the highway, and my phone comes into play in this case, although I have been know to remove a blemished tire, load it into my toad, and have the work done in town. I think I'm rambling again!

Just me I guess.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Yeeeooowww... $451 for an hours work? Holy RVing motorhome man!! So tell us, WHAT was the problem? Just a blown fuse? Charger not working?? How did he FIX it for that $451 charge???
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
denforent
They came from Crestview, Fl. (about 45 miles) Found converter not working. They had to go to Pensacola about 20 miles to pick up converter at Carpenders Camper and return to Pace, Fl where I was and install converter. $451 was for converter, service call (on Saturday) installation,tax and checking the 12 volt system before and after service work. They had about 130 miles of traveling to get to me then to get converter then get back to me and return to their home. Places I have talked to here said that was about half price for what was involved. I'm just glad I could get it fixed that fast cause it was cold!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well you can read above to see problem I had when it was cold with my converter (Jan 2013). Now that it is hot I had a problem with the new converter going bad (May 2013). Takes 12 volts to work thermostat or ac won't come on. Had grandchildren and we were HOT! Was in Auburn, Alabama at leasure time campgrounds (rvauburn) and no mobile service (weekend). Could crank engine and get to work for about 2 hours then lights dimmed and no ac. Went and bought a battery charger at wallymart to get us through till I got home (3 days) Powermax rushed me a replacement converter to my home. The unit has a 2 year warrenty and its rather unusual for one to go out that soon. Like I said if something is going to happen it will happen at the worst time and worst place! Anybody else have my kind of luck?

Tags
converter