Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Converter on, batteries off?

I just installed a 30 amp circuit on the back of my shop so I can keep the MH plugged in all the time. Nice to have fans, lights, AC, etc all the time if I am working on something.
My question is- the house batteries are band new and fully charged, I don't want to leave them on charge all the time and run the chance of them cooking dry. Is there anything wrong with running off shore power (12 volts from converter) and leaving the batteries switched off? I don't like the way OEM converters handle the batteries with one or two stages of control and will just keep an eye on their voltage and charge with a good independent charger when necessary due to internal discharge.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bill,

Your 05 Adventurer may have a multi stage charging system as our coach does. If so, it should not hurt to leave the batteries on as the charging system is superior to most battery chargers off the shelf. Of course, you may have a better one than most.

I simply check the battery fluid and add distilled water every three months. That way I don't have to keep track of charging them. Not good for them to discharge to a very low level repeatedly.

Dave
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you are sure your built-in converter/charger is no good, why not replace it with one that does 3 stage charging, e.g. Progressive Dynamics 92xx or Iota DLS xx. Save yo a lot of heart aches.

But I think you are being overly protective. Your 05 probably has a decent charger and you merely need to keep an eye on the water level in the cells.

To answer your question, yes you can run with converter on and battery disconnect in Off position. That may or may not prohibit charging - check with a voltmeter to see.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #4

Gary has a good suggestion as not only do the converters he mentions provide good multiple stage charging, they also have a battery maintenance mode with a sulfation inhibiting technique.

By keeping your batteries under the care of a good maintenance storage charger, you will make sure they will have a top charge when you need them and you will also be optimizing battery life.

With a good converter, you should not need to add water as that is an indication of overcharging.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

The converter is a Parallax 7465. According to the "manual" it does not sense battery condition at all. It just comes on at 14 volts (mine is actually 14,5), and after 13 hours a timer drops the output to 13.5 volts. Not real scientific but I guess it works. Problem with this is, if the power to the shop goes out, for even a few seconds, the converter goes back to 14.5 volts for another half day. With Florida's afternoon thunder storms, brief power drops are common. This could cook a battery in short order.

If the unit ever goes out, or probably sooner, I'll install a quality multi-stage unit. Thinking about installing a volt meter on the battery side of the disconnect switch so I can keep an eye on the voltage of the batteries at rest (off the charger).

Tags
batteries, converter