Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Converter vs Inverter

I'm brand new to RVs so I figure I can ask very basic questions:

What is the difference between a Converter and an Inverter and which should I have and why" I have a '95 Coachman Santara with a front and rear air conditioner, Microwave oven, coffeemaker and a 19 inch TV and it currently has a 50 amp converter.

My service tech is telling me that I have to replace my esisting Converter as it is reverse-charging my two coach batteries. ie, my positive terminals are negative and my negative terminals are positive. He showed me the negative 12 volt reading on his circuit tester but I'm not certain that I buy that.

Any thoughts from anyone on either question?

Fatbear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't really have the slightest idea of what he is talking about, but if I were to measure the polarity I would put the one showing positive voltage on the positive terminal and the negative on the negative terminal. Would that be the solution? Again - I'm not sure on this one what I am talking about - baffled.

Do desulfinators reverse charge?

Hooking up a converter with the incorrect polarity would fry the rectifiers in the circuit as there could be up to 100A across the terminal, but only for an instance. I think.

Isn't reverse charging equal to discharging.

A converter converts AC to DC

An inverter converts DC to AC

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Hi all,

Batteries can take on a reversed polarity although I do not know the cause or reason why. I doubt that it is the Converter's fault.

If the battery has this condition it can be reversed but requires a specialized load tester/charger used in a battery service shop or automobile service garage.

Good results will depend on the battery's condition but this can be determined by the use of the above mentioned equipment by a competent tech.
Alfa 38 5ver (Florida)
Montreal/Florida Snowbird
Alfa38User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Hi Guys

I see now that my post was not clear. My technician is telling me that my converter is faulty and that it is charging my batteries incorrectly. That is, that it is reversing the charge so that the negative terminal of the battery is putting out the positive charge and the positive terminal is putting out the negative charge and I'm not buying it. When he attaches his multitester leads (properly) he is getting a -12 volts reading from the battery. When I use mine, I get a +12 volts reading.

By my understanding, a battery CANNOT be reverse charged. Is that correct?

CAN a converter put out a reverse charge?

As it is now, I don't know whether to admire my technician for his perception or fire him for his incompetence (or worse)

Fatbear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may find further answers by clicking HERE then again on the embedded link.

Study the section dealing with charging and see the list of different battery terminal voltages. With the converter disconnected you can measure the teminal voltage and see if the batteries are fully charged or at some other lower level.

I doubt you will see a reverse voltage condition, but the converter could be malfunctioning. Disconnect the converter from the battery and check its output polarity.

You can also ask questions in our Tech forum, look for RV systems.
04 Winnebago Sightseer, 35N, W22 Chassis
Amateur Radio - WB2LOU
Education is the only legal cure for Ignorance. The Stupidity of many is incurable.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never heard of a converter/charger putting out reversed polarity. I hesitate to say "impossible", but it sure seems unlikely. If the tech is convinced that is the case, then it ought to be safe to reverse the output wires and motor on. But I wouldn't bet that is the case.

What make and model of converter/charger is in this 1995 coach? If it is the original, it probably ought to be replaced with a newer one anyway. Most any new one will do a better job of charging and keep your batteries healthier and last longer. It's a worthwhile $200 or so investment. Of course, if you pay the shop labor to make the swap, it quickly becomes $400 or so.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
I think you should start by 'firing' your tech. JMHO

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by hamdave View Post
I think you should start by 'firing' your tech. JMHO

I will post a 2nd to that thought. Sounds like a flim-flam man.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, inverter, polarity