Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Converting 1156 taillight bulbs to LED

I am not happy with how bright my rear signal and night/brake lights appear on my 04 Dutchstar. I have cleaned and polished the lens, checked voltage and even tried other bulbs. Has anyone tried using the LED replacement bulbs for the 1156 and what were the results? If so what bulbs did you use? Is there a LED that will service both night lights and brake lights together?
Looking for solutions so I can be seen better by traffic that is following.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

We did this many years ago. Got the LEDs off Ebay, and they were direct replacements for either the single filament or dual filament bulbs. They have worked great, and the visibility in direct sunlight was greatly improved. Have since replaced the side marker lights with LEDs also. A worthwhile improvement.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I felt the same way about the brake lights on my motorcycle and wanted to give cagers behind me more warning I was slowing. I bought 3 watt LED brake light bulbs. They are very bright during the day and almost painful at night. Very effective.

You may wish to try a couple of things to improve your existing lights. First clean and tighten the grounds. It doesn't take much of a voltage drop to make them dim. Secondly, consider adding reflective silver tape like metallic (not cloth) heating duct tape to the housing behind the bulb if they are just white plastic.

I learned that LED bulbs need to be the same colour as the lens - red for run/brake and amber for turns if so equipped.
Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

What Bob said about color LEDs, been a while and I had forgotten.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #5

I bought these on Amazon a few weeks ago and LOVE them. They are so much brighter than the incandescent bulbs.

I also used the 1156 for the trailers step light and tongue light, again WAY brighter than incandescent.

Order the color of the lens for your vehicle. Clear for clear lens (reverse), red for red lens (brake/turn) or amber for (turn). Do not put a clear LED behind a colored lens thinking it will be brighter, it wont be and will look sub par.

1156 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1157 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
probably not a problem with modern vehicles but would the lower wattage requirements for LED bulbs affect the operation of the turn signal flashers?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

Didn't affect the flash rate in my '92 Dodge at all but it does have the Heavy Duty relays in it so maybe that's why.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #8

I found a direct replacement for mine from Bargman.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cottontop

Look at wal-mart on line. Got mine there for inside coach lights. I think 10 for about $12. Ordered two times and happy with all -order - delivery -use. They came from a fulfillment center I think
cotton top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I found a direct replacement for mine from Bargman.
X2

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there a LED that will service both night lights and brake lights together?

All 1156 bulbs are single contact, so they cannot serve two or more separate functions. You need a different type bulb (e.g. 1034 or 1157) and a socket that matches. Led vs incandescent has nothing to do with it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 AM   #12

Thanks for all the feedback........again IRV2 has been a good source of information. All that is left now is to check out which supplier I will try and complete the task. Again thanks for the feed back,
Old 05-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just last week, (after reading a lot of reviews) I replaced the 1156 bulbs in my lawn tractor. What a difference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was so happy with how that worked, I replaced the wimpy backup bulbs, in my Escalade. Now it's like I have headlights in the rear when I back up.

https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...s%2C150&sr=8-9

Considering also changing out the stop/turn signal lights and that might require replacing the blinker switch.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Just be aware that merely being LED doesn't automatically make the bulb brighter. The size and low power usage of individual Leds makes it possible to pack more light (lumens) into the available space, so LEDS are usually brighter than an incandescent of the same type (bulb number), but there is no guarantee. It may be the same or only a little brighter. Don't give up if the first one you try doesn't seem much brighter - try a different brand that has a higher lumen rating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light