Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Converting Queen bed/slide into bunks

I wonder if anyone has ever something along the lines of installing bunks in place of the queen/king bed in the back bedroom of a Class A or even a C class/super C

I would love to have two twin size beds in the coach.
They use to put them in some of the Class A's way back. I think more toward the 70's 80's timeframe. I can remember looking at some. I have seen them with the beds on both sides in the rear bedroom, but with the slide this would not be as feasible if they have storage cabinets build on one side. Since most manufactures don't allow custom layouts some things would be better just worked around without too much ripping and tearing out to build again.

I was measuring my slide out and came up with a 75 inch wide space If I took out the side tables, and 73 inches from bottom of storage area below the mattress to the top of slide.
Just brainstorming now as this is not something I would do with my present coach but in a future unit. I never liked queen beds and I would like to be able to sleep two people comfortably without having to make up a couch all the time or convert the dinette.
I came up with the idea of, getting rid of the under bed storage ( not needed for my purposes ) to lower the lower bed slightly and allow for plenty of room inbetween the top and bottom bed. Orientation of the mattresses would be head/foot of mattress toward front or back of coach. This would allow for the slide to close. the way the queen is oriented with the twins instead , the top mattress would hit the cabinet when the slide was closed. 75 inches should be sufficient. The mattresses could also be built outside the well of the slide allowing for some storage cabinets, at least on the sides around the Window.
This would allow enough room to put in a small staircase to climb to the top bunk. Maybe storage under the stair ( shallow drawers ) . Entrance to the bottom bunk could be from the end toward the front of the coach.
I am not even sure this would all fit but I am just hashing over ideas now.

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

I would say if you want to do it go ahead. My concern would be on the resale side. I know we looked at many MH that hadmodifications made and we walked away without any serious consideration. It just didn't look right. The market for Class A's with just twins in the back is limited. You also have to make sure that the workmanship is at the same quality of the orignal.

Good Luck
Arnold

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

I built my own couch that converts into bunks with a remote control. Replaced the old couch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_210822.png
Views:	127
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	32479   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_210834.png
Views:	145
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	32480  

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
I built my own couch that converts into bunks with a remote control. Replaced the old couch
That's cool
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
That's cool
+1 - That is awesome!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a bracket that bolts to the wall on the couch? or is it freestanding?

Yes I was considering the possible hit to resale. I would think I could remove most of the existing cabinets and base without damage and replace it when I went to sell.
I did something like that on the last coach when I made drawers for the dinette. I made up new end caps for the benches along with the drawers. That enabled me to put the original back together so it was factory stock when I sold.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Free standing, i screwed into the floor. This way it can be removed and put back stock. I could make it so you may not have to take down your overhead cabinets.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
+1 - That is awesome!
+3 awesome... is there a safety feature that prevents that couch crashing down on me?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #9

Yes it can not move unless the electric motor turns, plus there are 2 locking bars