Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Converts from fiver to Class A??

I'm curious how many are converts from fiver to Class A (gasser mostly). Really like my fiver, roomy, comfortable for the most part. But there are a few reasons I might consider moving to a Class A on the Ford chassis. What do like and not like?
Thanks,
Gary
garylhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

We went from a 5er to a class A. We travel with pets and every time we stopped I had to leave the truck running to keep dogs comfortable. Always worried about someone stealing it. Now I just leave the gen running during the summer for the air conditioning. During the winter the heat runs on propane. So just shut the engine down (after proper cool down) lock the coach and take care of business!1
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

We also went from a 5er to a DP .We down sized from 38ft 5r to a 34ft dp. Health and age make the dp better for us but liked the 5r better.
Bob
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Gas A to 5th to Diesel A, Got to say for me the 5th wheel was a mistake and I don't say that about many things. The style of camping we do the A gas or diesel is better on every level. the 5th was a toy hauler and a lot of work for short weekends. Travel is much better in an A, driving the long trips every year is so much easyer. Better range, more comfortable drive for me and much better for the family.

I doubt I will ever have a 5th wheel again. A or super C probably all I would concider now.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

We have had everything but a class a but we are in the market for one!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Over many years we have owned all types of campers except a class A. We retired a year ago and wanted to do some traveling and sight seeing. After carefull thought we went for the Class A, a used one to try things out. After making a couple trips we believe we made the right choice. For traveling it is perfect, no need to pull over to get into the trailer, everything is at hand when needed. More comfortable to drive and park than a trailer/5ver. Can use heat or air to keep unit comfortable, can use generator while on road so power needs can always be met. Now the only negative side we have found is not having a vehicle for sight seeing after camp is set up....however we have found that unhooking the water and electric cords and raising the jacks is actually quicker than unhooking the trailer, and then we can just drive right back into the same spot and reconnect the power and water and lower the jacks and back to normal. If we decide to stay in one place for a few days a rental car can be very inexpensive, we feel less than towing an extra vehicle. Most rental companies will bring the car to your campground if needed. For just weekend camping the trailer is probably a better setup, but for traveling and sight seeing we have no complaints, in fact we find it a far more comfortable way to travel in the class A !!
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We trailered for ten years before moving to a gas A. I agree with others that the travel portion of the trip is much easier in the motorhome, especially long distances. The only negative I can see is not having a separate vehicle for getting around once on location. With some planning we have been able to avoid having a car in tow but I'm sure we'll move to that eventually. We usually bring bikes, walk, or use public transportation when necessary. Uber works well also.

My only suggestion is to compare a gas to a diesel before you make your purchase. It might affect what you buy. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

I had a 31' and a 37' 5'er, before our current class A diesel.

One reason that we switched to a class A is that my wife now has some health issues. Much easier for her to travel in the MH.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

No going back as much as we liked the 5r. Touring in something other than a heavy duty truck makes it worthwhile as the other benefits.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #10

Ps love our gas powered coach.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Went from a TT to gas A. Would not go back. Kids love traveling in the class a much better that car seats in the truck pulling the TT. MUCH easier to set up once at camp. Literally push a button and done.

Someone said drive both diesel and gas class a before you buy. My opinion, ignorance is bliss if a diesel isn't in your realistic budget. I'm sure I wouldn't of been near as satisfied with my gasser had I driven a diesel.

Just my .02.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

Yup

We sold our 32' fiver late last year, and bought our used 2006 gasser (30') in March of this year.

My wife enjoys traveling this way, so as long as she's happy, I am too. And Reno The Dog seems to enjoy having a sofa to lie on better than the back seat of a HD diesel pickup.

I miss the economy and power of the Cummins versus the V-10 Ford, and my wife misses the interior storage space we had in the fifth wheel.

We have had an RV of one type or another for the past 29 years - everything from popups (3), travel trailers (4), a truck camper, and now our first motor home. It takes some getting used to, but we like it. One of my most favorite advantages is when you are driving in a blinding rainstorm and pull off on at an exit ramp or into a rest area and wait for it to pass. You don't have to run through the rain to get into the coach and enjoy some "down time". All I have to do is put it in park, engage the parking brake and start the generator if cooling is needed.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #13

Being FT I looked at both. Previously I owned a DP. I now own a gas A.
No questions asked I made a good decision going A over 5'er. Being solo setup in my A is so simple. Not sure I would be able to do the setup/breakdown alone in a 5'er. Or if I could it would be so much more work. Could not even fathom to think about backing a 5'er into a tight spot. The large windshield of an A doesn't compare to any pick'em up truck (I've own a couple). I tow a vehicle so getting around in my towed is much better then driving a dually around. I get to my site and the living area is a comfortable temp. Toilet is available without moving any slides and again is a comfortable temp. I move every week to 3 weeks so setup trumps the little bit of extra living space for me.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We had three 5th wheels, the last being a 40' Jayco Pinnacle-an absolutely beautiful, comfortable, usable unit. We loved it and still really miss it at times. It had a very residential feel to it, tons of storage, etc. and if we'd intended to stay in one place for a month at a time or whatever we'd probably have kept it. Downside to it was that while we could get to the bathroom with the slides closed while traveling-we had to open one or two slides to get to the kitchen, table, and other areas. I also noted that getting around cities in a 3/4 ton truck wasn't getting any easier. As to getting it into spots, campsites, backing, etc. I just didn't have much trouble doing that. Set-up was pretty easy with auto jacks, etc. but was a bit more to it than with the MH now.
We are going to retire and snowbird starting this coming January, and after a ton of discussion we made the decision to trade the 5th and 3/4 ton in for a 40' MH and jeep. Although we miss parts of the 5th, the MH is far easier to maneuver into tight spots, and we love the huge window, the captain chairs, being able to move around and access nearly everything either while moving (try not to) or at a rest stop or whatever. Set up is the same for the utilities, but a one button step for leveling. We've traveled with it last January for two weeks and while in real cold weather we just kept the slides closed and it stayed snug as can be. We also like that the temperature is what you want when you arrive at the destination, rather than having to try to catch up from 90-100 degrees in the 5th. We had a gas generator in the 5th, but weren't all that comfortable running it while going down the road as we are with the gen in the MH. For us it was the idea of moving around the countryside a bit easier, easier stops for whatever, and the ease of travel. The complexity of the MH intimidated me a bit at first compared to the 5th and a diesel pickup, but I am getting far more comfortable with that. If I'd not ever read all the tough stories on the forum I probably wouldn't have had that-but then I'd not have pre-learned a lot of the fixes either. I think it boils down to what you want to do with it-we see and talk to a ton of people with all kind of rv's and it always seems to boil down to that. Congrats on retirement!

Tags
class a