Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cookies not baking right

Earlier this summer we bought a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar. We are still figuring stuff out. Normally we cook everything on our outdoors grill, but last weekend we thought we'd give the microwave/convection oven a try by baking some cookies. We bought a non-stick 12" pizza pan to use for baking and left the turntable on.

To bake the cookies, we set the oven at 300 (per dough instructions) and cooked it for 12 minutes. The cookies were about burnt on the top and doughy on the bottom. What did we do wrong? Or is our 15-year-old convection oven not what it use to be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Rack is too high..... But I'm not a baker...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

Noooo. Don't burn the cookies! Lol. I don't have convection/microwave but wife did have to make adjustments in how she baked in the rv oven. Someone will jump in soon with a solution. That's the great thing about this forum. Good luck.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We're still trying to figure out how to use the convection oven!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Earlier this summer we bought a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar. We are still figuring stuff out. Normally we cook everything on our outdoors grill, but last weekend we thought we'd give the microwave/convection oven a try by baking some cookies. We bought a non-stick 12" pizza pan to use for baking and left the turntable on.

To bake the cookies, we set the oven at 300 (per dough instructions) and cooked it for 12 minutes. The cookies were about burnt on the top and doughy on the bottom. What did we do wrong? Or is our 15-year-old convection oven not what it use to be?
Cookies are an essential part of camping and burned ones are no good. They were the first thing we tried in ours too. Did you use the rack? There should be a rack that holds the pan in the middle of the oven. You don't want to put the pan directly onto the turntable otherwise as you found out you get burned cookies. Air has to circulate around the food your cooking. Also, switch from a round pan to a rectangular pan on the rack. That will even out the heat . They say that you can lower the temperature and time but we found that wasn't so. Same temperature and time and they came out better than a conventional oven.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Cookies Not Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post

We had the same problem.. My dear "Boss" figured it out somehow but she's not here right now.. She did take a class or two specifically attuned to those microwave ovens from a couple of Boot Camps. I also think there are books you can buy on line telling how to cook with those ovens..

My "Boss" had to figure the microwave/convection oven out as we have no oven and I LOVE cookies
Byron
byoslandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Cookies are an essential part of camping and burned ones are no good. They were the first thing we tried in ours too. Did you use the rack? There should be a rack that holds the pan in the middle of the oven. You don't want to put the pan directly onto the turntable otherwise as you found out you get burned cookies. Air has to circulate around the food your cooking. Also, switch from a round pan to a rectangular pan on the rack. That will even out the heat . They say that you can lower the temperature and time but we found that wasn't so. Same temperature and time and they came out better than a conventional oven.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
And, if you use the rectangular pan, turn the turntable off.

As long as you use the rack that puts the pan in the middle of the oven, your cookies should turn out just fine. Convection ovens aren't all the same so you may need to watch a few times to see if you can shorten the time or not. I have found in mine that I use the same temperature called for with a conventional oven but I shorten the cooking time by about 10%.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We just tried our Samsung confection out on cookies and this is what worked. Round or rectangular pan on medium rack, turn table turned off. Pre heat to 375. Bake for 12 minutes. They came out perfect. Our instruction book called for higher temp than did the package instructions.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

Think of your convection side only of your oven as just like an electric oven at home.
We have a Sharp.
Pre heat
I have used round pizza pans for 9 years
Don't crowd the pan, generally I get about 6\7 per pan
Most sharps have 2 racks. Use the shorter of the 2. I always use the turntable
Watch your time when baking. For cookies I use the temp called for in the recipe and then depending on the type of cookie adjust time. Cake like cookies take about the time called for while a thinner crispier cookie may take a couple minutes less

Other baked goods may vary but I generally use what's called for

The only item that will not bake properly for me is a full size, tube pan, pound cake
Its just to large a pan and large quantity of batter. Its never moist and often too dark
So I just split it among 2 loaf pans
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Preheat oven?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Preheat oven?
OK your microwave\ convection oven can be used 3 ways
1 As just a microwave
2 just on convection which is what you bake with
3 in combination of both sources

To bake using just the convection side is, as I stated, is just like a regular electric oven. There is no microwave source being used

There should be a button that says Preheat push and set the temp you wish to use
The oven will pre heat, again just Like an oven at home.
When it reaches the correct temp it will beep. At this point you should have a button that just says convection(or some abbreviation there of). Push, enter the temp again and the time.
NOW insert your food to be baked, pysdh start.
There may be variations but most have a similar setup. This is how the Sharps work

If you put items to be baked in a cold oven then your results are going to be a disaster

Get the book out. If you don't have one go online as most are available to download for free
Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
OK your microwave\ convection oven can be used 3 ways
1 As just a microwave
2 just on convection which is what you bake with
3 in combination of both sources

To bake using just the convection side is, as I stated, is just like a regular electric oven. There is no microwave source being used

There should be a button that says Preheat push and set the temp you wish to use
The oven will pre heat, again just Like an oven at home.
When it reaches the correct temp it will beep. At this point you should have a button that just says convection(or some abbreviation there of). Push, enter the temp again and the time.
NOW insert your food to be baked, pysdh start.
There may be variations but most have a similar setup. This is how the Sharps work

If you put items to be baked in a cold oven then your results are going to be a disaster

Get the book out. If you don't have one go online as most are available to download for free
I know to preheat I was asking the OP if they are preheating.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Got ya. Sorry.