Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #1

Good morning, i'm hoping to have a few questions answered. i recently posted and question regarding fuel filter replacement. if it weren't for your answers i wouldn't have located the upper (Original by the way, dirty)

I recently purchased an 07 Holiday Rambler on an Monaco chassis with the ISL 400 Cummins. new to the pusher world, and it has 40K miles on it.

1. While underneath changing the oil and fuel filters, i noticed a line leaking what appears to be green coolant. It looks to be coming from what appears to be a trans cooler mounted on the side, which is accessible from a side door with locks. i did not get an owners manual, so i don't know if this is a trans cooler or an additional Radiator cooler, there is a fan attached to it. there is a black cylinder next to the line. does anyone know what this is? i will be getting underneath this morning to investigate further, i was just hoping for some direction.

2. MY trans has Transynd in it, I was going to change the two filters until i read threads on getting it tested first. Is there a small screw/plug i can remove to get a sample, and any suggestions on where to send it. should i change the filters regardless, i suppose it wouldn't hurt. i'm hoping the leak has nothing to do with the trans fluid.

3. I want to have the radiator flushed and all hoses replaced, any idea on how much this should cost? or where i can purchase the hoses. i am mechanically inclined, but i don't think i want to tackle this. my goal in changing all filters, fluids, belts and hoses is to make it road ready with a peace of mind.

4. Where can i buy an owners manual?

thanks in advance

gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Picture might help, Also diesel coolant is usually NOT green. It is red or orange. I would flush and put a diesel coolant in there. Generator coolant will be green though as that is what they recomend

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
You can get an owners manual here

Parts & Service

Also, I would also you contact HR and request a build sheet for your rig, it will have most of the main components listed by Manufacturer, PN, and sometimes SN.

Contact Holiday Rambler

I would also request a complete set of wiring diagrams including the chassis, get these in PDF form as they are better to look at and you can do a search for key words.

My guess is the green fluid is antifreeze or coolant.

The black cylinder may be you hydraulic fluid reservoir.

Early last year I was thinking of getting a full coolant flush, I was given an estimate of ~$700. I opted instead to have my coolant tested, it tested good (almost like new).

Check to see if your transmission has a lower dipstick, if so you can pull a sample with a vacuum from there. Could also pull from the upper dipstick but longer distance. My recommendation would be to just go ahead and change the filters and catch a sample there. If you don't know the history on your coach/transmission it would be more conservative to change filters now to get a baseline.

I used JG Lubrication for my sampling, got results back quickly.

In the future, if you have specific HR questions post on the the Monaco Owners forum on IRv2. Another great resource is the Yahoo Monacoers & Monaco Coach Owners group.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
In regards to question #2, my transmission still had the original filters in it and I think they are supposed to be changed every five years regardless of miles. You are going to loose at least half of the oil changing the transmission filters so you may as well change the oil at the same time and be done with it. At least that's what I did with mine.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Picture might help, Also diesel coolant is usually NOT green. It is red or orange. I would flush and put a diesel coolant in there. Generator coolant will be green though as that is what they recomend
Depends on a few things ... many diesels were spec'd for green with an additive.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

Thanks for the response. i should have opened the door prior to posting. it is the AC condenser, there is a black line high compression fitting where the green coolant was coming from. the dash air doesn't blow that cold.. i ntoiced the hydraulic jack reservoir was pretty dirty, like dirt mixed with oil, thick. i need to replace the cap, do you know if this takes any kind of oil or is it specific as well? i will change the trans fluid and filters. just confirm there are only two internal filters? any suggestions where to buy "quality" filters and the transynd? thnx again
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
There are two filters in the transmission, Allison sells a kit with the two filters and all the required o-rings. The transmission is worth a lot of money so only use original parts. I bought the oil and the filter kit from my local Allison dealer. Make sure you have the serial number and model of your transmission. There are two different sump sizes and the serial number will clear up any confusion.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
to test the trans fluid you will need a long piece of tubing and a small pump stick it down the dip stick tube and pull your sample from there... Easy peasy the radiator fluid can also be pulled thru radiator cap this way just use a different tubing.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get your trans oil tested here: Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service

The owner is a major contributor to the Transmission Thread on this forum.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"gweedo295".....Let's start with the trans cooler. On your coach, there is a long metal box, about 24" long and about 4" square that runs side to side just under the engine, near the fan shroud. This is your trans cooler. It's a welded box with a piece of copper coiled inside. The trans fluid runs through the copper while coolant runs through the box over the coil.....like a still.

Obviously, you found the vented door in front of your left rear wheel with the barrel locks. When you open that door, you expose the A/C condenser. When you unlock the bracket holding the A/C condenser, it swing open to provide access to the hydraulic tank that runs the jacks. There should also be a large filter mounted upside down, just to the left. That's your air dryer filter and should be changed every three years when the coach air tanks are empty. The back wall should have one of your fuel filters, the other should be near the rear engine door.

The hydraulic pumps on the Monacos were always a mess. Spray the heck out of it several times with a degreaser and keep rinsing/spraying until you get it clean. The reason it gets so dirty is that the cap/vent on top leaks. It's (I believe) a 3/8" threaded cap. The way to stop the leaking is to buy a 3" long brass 3/8' threaded pipe, add a 3/8" union to one end and screw it back into the pump. Screw the cap/vent back onto the threaded pipe you added and you'll eliminate the leak/mess. It will keep it from leaking, but still allow it to vent. These pumps were also only bolted at one end with the majority of the tank, just hanging out in the air. This design often causes the tank to crack. Many of us added a small support, with a metal arm and rubber insulator.

The hydraulic pump uses trans fluid. Lower your front jack 6", turn the key on and if the jack alarm sounds, you're low on fluid. Add fluid until you hear the alarm quit.

I had a 2005 Diplomat with the 400ISL and the rear radiator developed a leak and had to be replaced. When I replaced it, I also replaced all the hoses. Monaco wants a fortune for some of those hoses. There are several because of the trans cooler setup. Here's what I did. I looked under the coach and determined what hoses I needed. For example. I needed a 12" long hose with a 90 degree bend and 6" on the other side of the bend. I needed a couple that were straight, let's say 6". I went to a website that sold quality silicone hoses with all types of configurations. I bought a 12" long hose with a 90 degree bend and 18" on the other end of the bend. This gave me two of the hoses I needed. It was actually pretty simple to figure out what you needed and was a LOT cheaper.

Lastly, Monaco uses a hydraulic filter for the power steering. It's usually mounted near the trans dipstick. It's a metal can with a "T" handle on top. Remove the top and the reach inside the oil. The filter is down inside. Usually they're made by Nelson and may be difficult to find.

Another tidbit. Your coach has a fast idle. When the engine is running in neutral, turn on the cruise and hit "SET". It will speed up the idle for faster warm ups. On my 05, you could actually adjust the idle from the steering wheel, but the newer ones don't.

Don't forget, under the "Owners" Forums on here, is a Monaco forum.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote