Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
So with CoPilot or S&T do you use with a laptop and/or a tablet and/or a cell phone while you are in motion? Trying to understand how you get driving directions?

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
S&T ain't coming back. All the software vendors see network delivery of everything as the future, and indeed unless it's a huge app like Photoshop or something it needs to be deliverable to a smartphone or tablet. Right or wrong, that's where they all see their market. Who needs S&T in a world of Google Maps and Bing Maps?

S&T will be usable for a long time yet, but no GPS or mapping software will ever be 100% correct. You have to use your judgement. They are tools only. That said, I think the combo of S&T for planning and CoPilot Truck on an iPad/iPhone on a mount for driving is about the best you can do right now. Even with that, I sometimes check against a trucker's atlas.
All of your thought here are true. But, we all know that cell & WiFi services are not always available and a GPS signal is the only way to fly. As I have previously stated, a phone app or small GPS is difficult for me to use, and the printed itinerary is important to me. I think I can get around this with screen shots. But, only an interactive user interface on the program or app will allow the user to choose and correct the route. S&T and CoPilot allow this to be done.

Customer support of CoPilot is another ??? in my mind. The way the site is setup, there is a minimum of information provided. Even the operating system for the V8 has not been updated and getting map dates is almost impossible. I used CoPilot many years ago. I needed fuel so I picked a Flying J near Princeton, NJ. I was new to RVing and GPS usage. I had it programmed for the RV but it took me through Princeton, down some local, very small, streets and over a bridge that I know my rig didn't belong on. When I called ALK about it the guy chuckled. He knew about the issue. And map updates? I don't know when the last one was published by them.

As I travel I see new communities and shopping areas springing up. Stores move and fuel stops upgrade. Even major roadways are being rerouted and exits are being moved. Only the newer maps and POI's will reflect these changes.

I realize full well that the GPS technology is a relatively new tool and still under development. Wisdom always needs to be applied by the user. Anyone using one of these things will be lead into an uncomfortable situation at some point. I am simply trying to make the best choice for my bucks. S&T was a great program for the bucks. Yes, it has limitations and vigilance in rout planning is important. I just can't justify the ALK program if the maps and POI's are not much different than what the old S&T is using.

Thanks, all, for your great input. I'm going to hold off a little longer.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #17

Low Clearances for GPS

There is a software or I should say a POI database of low clearance information that is loadable into a Garmin GPS. I've subscribed to it and used it on my last trip and found it to be a cheaper alternative to buying a new RV GPS. I have a Garmin NUVI 2557LMT and it was downloadable to that and most of the Garmin GPS's. The website is LowClearance.com. Its worth looking at.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

Howdy!

Jim, when you use Co-pilot truck app are you using the truck or the RV? I always use the RV setting and have never had a problem.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #19

All this "GPS" talk sure get's me dizzy. We used to get Microsoft's Streets and Trips at Costco, for about $39.00 and, there was a $35.00 REBATE! So, it would cost us a whopping $5.00.

But, I see it now, a 2013 version, for between $395.00 and $407.00 on ebay. YEOW!!!!! Now, that sure seems like a ton for something that's already outdated. We really liked it way back when. But, I'm not sure I can divvy up that kind of coin for a program like that.

And, by the way, my lap top has been converted to Windows 10. Would that "new" (2013) version, work on that late of an operating system, even if I should think about getting it?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
S & T is great for planning but it doesn't come close to the RM unit I use to actually get places. There are lots of highways and byways in BC and the PNW that do not show on S & T. Case in point my buddy and I were headed to central BC last summer and when we got off the Duke Point - Tsawwassen Ferry s & T had no idea that the South Fraser Perimeter Road (HWY17) even existed. I had to wait for over an hour for him in Hope before heading off down the road to Princeton. BTW I just did another new map update for the RM unit and it took quite a while to do all the updates that we hope will help our maybe travels for this coming January.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #21

I use the truck version with custom settings for weight and height and my estimates of real world speeds on various roads (somewhat faster than the defaults). I've had no issues getting the regular updates (other than download time since the full NA update is a couple of gigabytes), you need a fast internet connection or let it run all night. It has a fairly effective "drag the route" feature. If they'd fix the fact that it refuses to cross a bridge over the Colorado on US281 I'd like it a lot better.

I don't think they have a specific RV version. I also tend to double check for low clearances. Like all of the GPS systems, you have to use some common sense about routing because it can do some strange things at times.

I got copilot for several reasons: 1) it runs on my Android tablet (10 inch screen); 2) if has the maps locally (did that after we ran out of cell phone range in west Texas using Google maps); and 3) it has settings for weight and height. I also have the TomTom Android version that runs local maps, but it doesn't have the truck/RV settings to protect from that.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
All this "GPS" talk sure get's me dizzy. We used to get Microsoft's Streets and Trips at Costco, for about $39.00 and, there was a $35.00 REBATE! So, it would cost us a whopping $5.00.

But, I see it now, a 2013 version, for between $395.00 and $407.00 on ebay. YEOW!!!!! Now, that sure seems like a ton for something that's already outdated. We really liked it way back when. But, I'm not sure I can divvy up that kind of coin for a program like that.

And, by the way, my lap top has been converted to Windows 10. Would that "new" (2013) version, work on that late of an operating system, even if I should think about getting it?
Scott
The reason 2013 S&T is so expensive is that this is no longer being published and the ya-whoos who pay the gaffers that much for it are bowing to extortion. It is a good program but not worth the black market penalty.

In your case you might be better off with CoPilot Laptop V8. The "car" version has a RV choice and I am guessing it is of the same parameters as to trucker version that is $50 more.

I am still hanging in there with S&T but it won't be long before it becomes too untrustworthy; another couple of years maybe.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I use S&T 2013 (runs fine on Windows 10) for general trip planning and then check the route with more up to date online apps before I enter the info onto my driving GPS device.

The maps in CoPilot Laptop V8 are dated 2011. I believe the Delorme Street Atlas is the only PC based non subscription program that is continually updated, however there is a pretty steep learning curve.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
After the Rick Y closing comment I just gotta add 2 more cents (that means 4 cents for me) and not feel I am hijacking the thread.

I bought my totally standalone Rand McNally GPS that I update on usually a monthly basis. It is a 7" hardened case that interfaces with my laptop that allows me transfer maps from Good Sams trip planning. I can import custom POIs, connect to my phone's hotspot and get traffic, weather, fuel prices, etc. These can be along my route or in the area. It has all sorts of campgrounds, travel POIs, considers height/width restrictions, propane restrictions, gives miles/time to next way point. All for a one time $220 cost. Comes with mount, cables and dual power chargers. I tried lots of others, but gotta say IMO this is the best deal around.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
After the Rick Y closing comment I just gotta add 2 more cents (that means 4 cents for me) and not feel I am hijacking the thread.

I bought my totally standalone Rand McNally GPS that I update on usually a monthly basis. It is a 7" hardened case that interfaces with my laptop that allows me transfer maps from Good Sams trip planning. I can import custom POIs, connect to my phone's hotspot and get traffic, weather, fuel prices, etc. These can be along my route or in the area. It has all sorts of campgrounds, travel POIs, considers height/width restrictions, propane restrictions, gives miles/time to next way point. All for a one time $220 cost. Comes with mount, cables and dual power chargers. I tried lots of others, but gotta say IMO this is the best deal around.
Mine is the 7721 and i like it and use it when traveling.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

Thanks for this posting. I am not certain I would be comfortable with the 7" screen though. I guess that at some point I am going to have to give up mybinki. Where do you place the unit? Does bright sun light cause viewing problems? I like the trip planing maps option. Does this use much data? We often have cell phone tethering data only.

From your comments, I take it that the Rand McNally GPS has improved. A couple of years ago, as I recall, this option was not well rated by many on the forum.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #27

Scott,

The current version of COPILOT 8 does not work with Windows 10. They say that they hope to have updated by the end of this year. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

I have used it on my laptop for planning purposes, then let DW use her MapQuest program for the actual turn by turn driving. My android tablet still has copilot 8 and works fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick Y - Yep I read the same reviews. So I looked and looked. Found the 7720 for $220 delivered - great price.

I mount the unit on the top of my dash within easy reach as while driving our coach (my wife doesn't drive at all). I can easily touch the screen and see what is coming up at the next few exits. No problem viewing the screen in bright sun or shade. I am one of the very few left that has unlimited data on smart phone, so I cannot tell you for sure how much it uses. I can tell that if it is a concern you can turn off/on the feature you don't want to use fairly easily as your driving. For instance, if you are driving in bright sunshine, probably don't need the weather function turned on. Same with fuel prices - I use GasBuddy each morning and plot that as a waypoint.

One of the functions that I use a great deal is finding Rest Areas along our route. Good news is that you don't need data for that.

Just another thought. We are planning a trip through New England with a few of our grandkids for next summer. As I plan the route using Good Sam Trip Planning, big warnings came up on my initial route for height, width, propane, etc warnings. Same things show up my 7720.

Also, as we are driving it gives lane advise for turns etc. The screen closely resembles the road signs I am seeing as I drive with arrows showing suggested lanes. The audio assistance is very helpful, limits the number of times you need to move your eyes from the traffic flow.

As we are driving, my 7720 is a trusted assistant (DW is directional challenged :-)). After our huge trip last summer, I gotta say in 7500 miles it was always dependable. I am a bit annal retentive and will spend a great deal of planning before we leave. So I know the route fairly well before I ever start. The 7720 (because it integrates so closely with the Good Sams Trip Planning) is terrific.

PS: I actually tried the 7730/7735. Looks nice and shiny BUT no real new features AND battery life was horrible.

Tags
gps