Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Google Maps on my phone interfaces with WAZE, which Google now owns and provides traffic updating and re-routing. I find it much more useful and accurate than old stand - alone GPS units....and it's free....
But, it is still a phone app. I am really trying to stick with the BIG screen navigation. Thanks, anyway. I hope some other folks make use of your input.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
But, it is still a phone app. I am really trying to stick with the BIG screen navigation. Thanks, anyway. I hope some other folks make use of your input.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Howdy!

I use Co-Pilot for android app on my Samgsung 10.1" tablet in our MDT pulling our 5er. Use it on smartphone when we drive the smart car. I only purchase the app once and able to use it on multiple devices. No need to repurchase the app when you get a new phone or tablet.

"Happy Trails"
Cheifneon

Old 10-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Rick Y - Yep I read the same reviews. So I looked and looked. Found the 7720 for $220 delivered - great price.

I mount the unit on the top of my dash within easy reach as while driving our coach (my wife doesn't drive at all). I can easily touch the screen and see what is coming up at the next few exits. No problem viewing the screen in bright sun or shade. I am one of the very few left that has unlimited data on smart phone, so I cannot tell you for sure how much it uses. I can tell that if it is a concern you can turn off/on the feature you don't want to use fairly easily as your driving. For instance, if you are driving in bright sunshine, probably don't need the weather function turned on. Same with fuel prices - I use GasBuddy each morning and plot that as a waypoint.

One of the functions that I use a great deal is finding Rest Areas along our route. Good news is that you don't need data for that.

Just another thought. We are planning a trip through New England with a few of our grandkids for next summer. As I plan the route using Good Sam Trip Planning, big warnings came up on my initial route for height, width, propane, etc warnings. Same things show up my 7720.

Also, as we are driving it gives lane advise for turns etc. The screen closely resembles the road signs I am seeing as I drive with arrows showing suggested lanes. The audio assistance is very helpful, limits the number of times you need to move your eyes from the traffic flow.

As we are driving, my 7720 is a trusted assistant (DW is directional challenged :-)). After our huge trip last summer, I gotta say in 7500 miles it was always dependable. I am a bit annal retentive and will spend a great deal of planning before we leave. So I know the route fairly well before I ever start. The 7720 (because it integrates so closely with the Good Sams Trip Planning) is terrific.

PS: I actually tried the 7730/7735. Looks nice and shiny BUT no real new features AND battery life was horrible.
I missed this posting somehow. Thanks for the great info. I only found used 7720's when I looked a few min ago. Mounting is still a concern in any case. My dash is a thumb nail moon shape. If I end up going with a 7" unit I will have to build a mounting platform of some sort.

I understand what you are saying about DW. She would rather get the flu than drive the rig. Trip planning is so important. I do my best to get to know the roads before I have to drive them, but there is that small chance that we can get into a situation that just the locals know exists. I have only run into this a couple of times in 10 years and have survived unstaved!

Battery life of the unit is not that important because it will always be plugged in. Setting the correct routs for the rig are paramount. I am from NE and I can tell you that you must know what roads you are taking before you hit the road. Out west we don't have to worry too much about big rig restrictions when we choose an impromptu exit. Not so for a good portion of the North East. Just remember, truckers can often turn where a bus can't without a bunch more maneuvering. Your car will be a great asset on that trip for visiting places of interest. Set up camp and go have fun.

How well does the Good Sam Trip Planner work? Do you get printed itineraries?

Thanks to you and everyone for all the great input.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Rick, My 7721 came with a suction mount that is easily located where it is handy for the driver. Importing trips into the unit does have a learning curb=ve but it is not insurmountable. On the RM Dock that you download (for doing any updates they publish for maps etc) there are two options for planning RM Routes and GS Routes. I prefer the RM one just because.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, most dashes will have a problem with just a pure suction cup. I got the unit to stick with just the suction cup. About 30 minutes into the drive -crash, bang, boom the 7720 was on the floor. So I used the self adhesive disk that fit the suction cup and problem fixed.

Battery life is not important except for setting the GPS for the days travels. The 7730 was so bad, for the 2 days I owned it, the unit shutdown before I could get it back on the mount. Maybe a grand total of 15 minutes.

I use the Good Sams on line trip planning for routes. Then I refine looking for campgrounds. After I guessed at a good locale to stop, I find some campgrounds and cross reference with RV Parkfinder for a double check on quality.

Sometimes, I will transfer the whole trip. Most times I simply use the daily portion manual on the 7720. Fairly easy because it is the same data base.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My unit has never dropped off the window i stuck it to. To my left just above the door window on the upper tinted fixed window. That way i can easily see it and so can my copilot who really needs to know where we are going. I have also seen where people have affixed the non suction base with those incredibly adaptable little gadgets called screws. Not my cup of tea though as they do mar surfaces.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Garmin sells an RV unit the 720. It's won't let use take a route unless it's known for being RV safe.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all. Your input is good food for thought. It is too bad that the 7720 is no longer available in the stores.

A new life event is taking priority at the moment so the GPS is on the back burner. Dawson, our mans best friend, hurt his hip. We will see the vet today. After that visit it may be a long time before I can consider a GPS upgrade. lol. By then there may be a better one on the market than the 7720. Lets hope so.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry to hear about your buddy Dawson. Good luck.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
So sorry to hear about your buddy Dawson. Good luck.
Good news. It is simply old age and nothing more major. He just can't play as hard as he used to. At my age I can relate to this concept. And, YES, the vet did coast almost as much as a good GPS. So, I'll keep looking.

On the bright side of this topic, RVing has become popular and affordable once again. This may inspire the GPS manufactures to go bigger for our needed. Stranger things have happened in this industry.

Happy trails and Dawson say thanks for remembering him.

Rick Y

Tags
gps