Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
CoPilot Live v8 laptop GPS users

I am now using Streets & Trips. It took me to the camp we are at with not a problem. We went shopping in the car to a nearby town with our Garmin GPS as our guide. Getting there was no problem because the first dirt road it tried to take us on I knew to avoid. Coming back was a different story. We ended up in placed a RV could never go and my car barely made it. Point being, not all GPS's can be trusted. In a RV this can be real trouble if the GPS is not user friendly like the Garmin.

Streets & Trips is dying a slow death as it becomes outdated with time and road changes. I am reluctantly considering CoPilot Live v8 for my laptop. I am looking for users who now us it. I know there are a few other programs to look at but, for this thread in any case, I would like piratical feedback on this program only. Thanks for your input.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Co-Pilot Live 8

Ricky

We've used Co-Pilot Live for several years... My wife, my co-pilot, likes it very much.
We also have Streets & Trips. My wife uses Streets & Trips to plan our routes the night before because it has campgrounds listed in it, but we use Co-Pilot while driving. We like the big screen our laptop has. Both have their good points, but overall we like the Co-Pilot. We also use a built in dash board Pioneer GPS unit/monitor/rear view camera model, but we mostly use it for rear view of the towed Jeep.. Data base is a little outdated :-)

We do not use Garmin except for a hand held unit when we hiked.

Rand McNally puts out a GPS unit that is made strictly for RV motorhomes. My brother has it and dislikes it very much, but he doesn't like many things in life :-) So, look into that model as well.

As long as you can set your parameters for a motorhome, toll roads, secondary roads, Interstates, etc. You'll be fine..

What gets most of us is the learning curve using any of the units.
Drive safely

Byron
04 Newmar Mtn Aire DP 4016
400 HP ISL Cummins Turbo Charged
08 Jeep Liberty 4X4 Jeep

Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
S&T, is still good. We have 2013. And the maps are still accurate. There are not too many NEW highways being build. The discovery poi's have worked very well.

I use Primo Software for my GPS. It contains information used for Truckers. Is allows you to setup weight, height, length. So far no problem.
As for GPS's you need a GPS that is setup for RV'ers/Truckers. The maps which are programmed into it, can be found in the Rand MacNally Truck Atlas.

CoPilot - I used back in 2003 - 2004. Got rid of it and transfer over to what I mention above.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used and still maintain my subscription to CoPilot for use when I am in my SUV. Primarily I maintain CoPilot because it is a solid, stand alone set of maps. When we are in our RV, I use a GPS aimed at RVs. Specifically one that is a stand alone, one that indicates issues (travel limitations due to tunnels, bridges, narrow roads, statutory limitations, grades etc) and one that interfaces and downloads from my laptop to my GPS.

That is my input and (as memory serves) there is a version of CoPilot that is aimed at truckers. But I gotta tell you, my GPS is one of my integral systems when traveling. I don't want to get to a tunnel or bridge where I am going to be stopped or ticketed for traveling. I don't want to get to a set of switchbacks that will ruin my day or coach. I do want a GPS that is a solid, proactive traveling companion.

So, with these words, I've stayed on topic but PLEASE choose wisely - a GPS IMO is a necessity if you travel on any routes that you don't absolutely know very well. The good news for us, is our GPS (when I have a Verizon data connection) updates for weather, road conditions and traffic. And it interfaces with Good Sams routing software. Just sayin'

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Google Maps on my phone interfaces with WAZE, which Google now owns and provides traffic updating and re-routing. I find it much more useful and accurate than old stand - alone GPS units....and it's free....
Old 10-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used Co-pilot since the early 90's.
I quit using the laptop version $99.99 when they quit letting you use a copy on a desktop to plan a trip then transfer it to the laptop.

I switched to S&T for that. I do use CoPilot the $14.99 version on my iPad 2 in the MH and same license is good also for my iPhone. And all updates.

Really don't know why they charge so much for their laptop version, that probably hasn't been updated often the last couple years or so like the cheaper CoPilot for iPad, iPhone etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

I am using Copilot too, along with a Bad Elf GPS receiver. You can set the unit to motorhome and set the height for low clearances. It has lead down a few places I didn't understand but it generally works well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #8

When using Co-Pilot can it be set to scroll or move as you do? We tried it only one time with an iPad on cellular data and it never moved for the DW. She had to scroll it manually.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Co Pilot Error

Yes, the cursor moves with your location if it is connected. We have the $14.99 version which shows traffic and seems to be quite accurate.

Just ran into a problem with low Long Island Rail Road bridges. The route did not show any difficulty with low bridges, but after checking we found that we did not fit...go figure!!!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
When using Co-Pilot can it be set to scroll or move as you do? We tried it only one time with an iPad on cellular data and it never moved for the DW. She had to scroll it manually.
The CoPilot on a iPad doesn't use cellular data to make it work.

All CoPilot data is on the phone. It does need a iPad that has cellular for the built in GPS. Or on a WiFi only iPad, a blue tooth GPS will be needed.

When traveling the CoPilot map should scroll automatically. Nothing to set on it. And it should zoom in at upcoming turns with another picture of what lane to take on Interstate on/off ramps/exchanges from one Interstate to another one.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I see what I DON'T like about CoPilot laptop version. It is expensive and the maps are not up to date. With the last version of S&T (which I love and will miss when it no longer is useful) there have been enough changes to the major highways that, on occasion, I find the RV in the middle of a field or swamp for several miles according to the program. The last time I got AKL to respond to me, which can be difficult, they indicated that the map on the V8 was a couple of years old. Too much money for an outdated map with no subscription update.

S&T did a great job getting us to where we are now. The Garmin, car GPS and RV backup, failed miserably. We went to town and the dumb programmers have a 4 wheeler logging road as a good access road. I am so glad we did it in the car and not the RV.

I like the ability to print the itinerary. We mark our times and fuel stops on it as we travel. It is a good record for the IRS. We take our fuel as a deduction because we use the RV for our volunteer work only, which is full time.

I do hope Microsoft rethinks the retiring of S&T. It is not without faults but it is the best GPS I have found, so far, for my laptop. I feel safer with the big screen. My eyes don't focus up close as quickly as they did in my younger years. One of the features that many of the newer programs have mastered better than the S&T is turn zooming. This is another reason I am considering changing.

Oh well. I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer. About the GPS in the RV? The screen is too small and poorly located, can't print the directions and programming is a bit of a challenge.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

Howdy!

We used Co-Pilot on smartphone and tablet for years now with out a problem. Like it enough that when we purchased our new 5er a year ago and it exceeded the 13' height limit on the old Co-Pilot I spent the extra mony and purchased the trucker verison. Even though it cost more I find it cheaper than purchasing a new stand alone gps.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

S&T ain't coming back. All the software vendors see network delivery of everything as the future, and indeed unless it's a huge app like Photoshop or something it needs to be deliverable to a smartphone or tablet. Right or wrong, that's where they all see their market. Who needs S&T in a world of Google Maps and Bing Maps?

S&T will be usable for a long time yet, but no GPS or mapping software will ever be 100% correct. You have to use your judgement. They are tools only. That said, I think the combo of S&T for planning and CoPilot Truck on an iPad/iPhone on a mount for driving is about the best you can do right now. Even with that, I sometimes check against a trucker's atlas.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

I have the trucker version and like it because of the height and weight settings as well as speeds. I find it pretty accurate in arrival times if you get the speeds right. HOWEVER, I find it is not exactly trustworthy. I commonly use US 281 in central Texas to get to places and it absolutely refuses to route across the Colorado river in Marble Falls. It sends me 50 or more miles out of the way rather than route across the bridge. I reported this to them probably two years ago and it still isn't fixed. So, like all GPS systems, be very cautious in relying totally on that for your routes.

jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps