Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Cornering Advice

Any tips or informational links on cornering a 40' class A. Driving a class C for several years but can never stop learning new techniques/knowledge.
Thanks, Terry.
geocacher924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, give yourself more room to turn and stop[emoji848]
Topkick1sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Remember! Your steer wheels are under your butt. There are a couple good videos some where on the web. Search on RV driving.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...ving&fr=mcafee
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

I assume you mean how to turn corners without having the rear portion of the rig either run up on a curb or otherwise hit an obstruction. If you are talking about a class A DP, where the driver's seat is AHEAD of the front wheels, the prior owner of my rig gave me what I have found a fool-proof technique....

When entering a turn, keep the wheels STRAIGHT until your hips are lined up with where you want your rear tire to end up. For example, if turning left, keep the wheels straight until your hips are lined up with the left lane marker of your target lane. Then, make as tight a turn as needed to enter that lane and not hit any obstacle at your right corner.

This might vary based on your wheelbase, but it works great for me.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Was taught during my first drive in an American Eagle (40 ft. DP) to do 2 things:

-Do not swing wide left to initiate a right hand turn

-Wait until your hips line up with the curb and then swing the wheel rapidly to the right

-On left hand turns, when there are 2 turning lanes at a traffic signal, always select the lane that is on the left (this is a legal requirement for large vehicles in some states, but it will make your left turns very easy in any state).

After a while these techniques will become automatic.

Have fun driving your rig!!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1. Turn later, not wider.

2. Remember your "pivot" point is your back wheels. Many turning accidents come from turning too soon.

3. "Hug" the left line when turning right.

4. Where there are 2 or more left turn lanes, I always choose the farthest right as it gives me more room to maneuver.

5. Always be aware of the tail swing as you make your turn.

6. When teaching my wife to drive our 40 footer, I found a vacant parking lot and set up a cone. I told her to make a left and a right turn without running over the cone. It took a few times before she could master the concept.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

Great advice. I thought I read somewhere that for left turns that have 2 lanes you should be in the right lane.
geocacher924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Set your mirrors where you can see your drive wheels... You will learn much...
Old 12-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
All good points...
I mainly try to keep my 'outside' wheel on a turn as far to the outside as I can.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Was taught during my first drive in an American Eagle (40 ft. DP) to do 2 things:

-On left hand turns, when there are 2 turning lanes at a traffic signal, always select the lane that is on the left (this is a legal requirement for large vehicles in some states, but it will make your left turns very easy in any state).

After a while these techniques will become automatic.

Have fun driving your rig!!
WRONG!

This will get you creamed on the right side eventually. The right side is your blind side.

You should be in the RIGHT hand lane when there are 2 or More left turn lanes. You can swing wider keeping your vehicle out of the left lane. When you chose the left or inside lane you may be forced into the right lane by a curb or sitting vehicle that is over the stop line and you wont be able to see if the traffic in the right lane is yielding to you swinging into THEIR lane. YOU will be ticketed in a crash.
Wherefore the right lane, even if you are forced to encroach the left lane, you can see if traffic is yielding to your encroachment and stop if necessary. Avoiding tickets and vehicle damage and higher insurance premiums.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1482021468.635222.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  59.4 KB
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a Class C for ~9 years before buying our Class A. Both my wife & I basically just took our time when first driving the Class A. We both think the Class A is easier to drive the Class C. You sit higher and have better visibility.

Suggest take your time until you learn how the rig handles. Approach the turning slowly and allow yourself plenty of room.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is what I think is the best driving video for a newbie. Since I'm a newbie I watch portion of this each time I get ready to leave home after an extend layover. Never too late to refresh.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher924 View Post
Great advice. I thought I read somewhere that for left turns that have 2 lanes you should be in the right lane.

That is what I meant to say, sorry about that!!

Tags
advice