Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Cornerstone Extended Warranty reviews?

I am considering purchasing an extended warranty thru my dealer from Cornerstone United. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share regarding this company? It is a 5 year/60k miles with $100 deductible, my 2011 Bounder is out of factory warranty and 2 years left on the chassis. Cost is about $2300. for the policy. Just my fridge cost $3500 before labor, so I'm thinking it may be worth the peace of mind.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

I purchased a Cornerstone United "platinum" policy from Go West RV in Coquitlam when I bought my 2008 motorhome. It was sold as a, "bumper to bumper but not including the bumpers" warranty: cost over $5000.00 for 4 year coverage.
Less than 7000 kms. later we had a major breakdown in California that has left me about $2000.00 out of pocket, after they paid their share.
Don't break down after 1 p.m. Pacific time because these people are only open 8 to 4 Eastern time, with an hour off for lunch of course and don't break down on the weekend, holidays included, as they're Mon. thru Fri. only.
We were originally refused tax reimbursement because the coverage was purchased in Canada but nowhere in the policy, which states Canada and the continental US are fully covered. They then came up with the excuse that we could colledt the taxes from the State of California, which, when we went to the border to pick up the "form" they said I needed, was not heard of by the staff. An easy search on Yahoo shows that no state in the US refunds taxes in this type of situation. I then received a call from an agent in North Carolina that all further claims were denied. Well, a few weeks later, after much "discussion" I've deposited the cheque for the taxes on the original repair.
Be very careful when dealing with this company, not one person had the courtesy to say, sorry about your problem, let's see what we can do to get you on the road again, it would have went a long way in customer relations. They spent most of our conversations telling me what they wouldn't do.
They cover 3 days of living expenses at $100 per day, doesn't matter that we couldn't get a hold of anyone for 4 days because of Good Friday, they have no emergency number, and all repairs over $1500 must have prior approval.
They also reimburse the dealers who do the repairs by cheque only, they normally won't release the vehicle until the cheque clears. (We received the cheque over 2 weeks after submitting in on the same day we picked up the rv, can you imagine if one didn't have the wherewithal to pay the bill).
I haven't bothered to check but I'm sure we were also stiffed on the currency exchange.
In the end, we consulted with an attorney to pursue the balance. The cost for suing would have been about the same as what we would have recovered so we're left with a very sour taste with this company.
Sadly, we have 3 more years left under this policy which we fervently hope doesn't need to be used but at least we have the attorney on speed dial this time.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year I had a problem with the AC/Heat pump duct (Winnebago basement AC/Heat Pump) which runs up the back of the coach, between the back wall and the fiberglass cap. I was not able to reach the defective duct to make the repairs myself. The back fiberglass cap would need to be removed. I had purchased the Cornerstone Extended Warranty when I bought the coach (I am the second owner). I called the dealer that I bought the coach from and they contacted Cornerstone. All my dealings were with the dealer I purchased the coach from and I did not talk to the Cornerstone people.Cornerstone authorized the repairs. I paid $100 and Cornerstone picked up the rest (approximately $1100). I dunno, but I suspect that one needs to get the repairs authorized first rather then having the repairs done and then asking for a reimbursement. I am just happy that I had the time to do the calling, with regards to the defective duct, and that it was not a roadside emergency for me
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer View Post
I purchased a "Platinum" policy from Go West RV in Coquitlam when I purchased my unit about a year ago. It was sold as a "bumper to bumper but not including the bumpers" warranty cost over $5000.00 for 4 year coverage. We had a major breakdown about 7000kms. later that has left us over $2000.00 out of pocket. This company operates on Eastern time, are basically 9 to 5 er's (with an hour off for lunch of course)don't work weekends and don't have an emergency number. We had the misfortune to breakdown near Bakersfield California on a Thursday afternoon, before Easter Good Friday. Couldn't get in touch with these guys until Monday morning (they never put on the telephone message that they were closed Friday until Saturday, spent hours with the repair shop on the line waiting for someone to pick up). When we finally did get in contact, not once did anyone have the courtesy to say, sorry about your breakdown, let's see what we can do to get you back on the road. They spent the majority of time telling me what they wouldn't cover. Forget the "bumper to bumper" sales pitch, that's all it is. They refused to pay the taxes (the excuses were incredible), and refused to increase the down time expenses even though we couldn't reach them for 4 days. The tax argument went on for several weeks, got a call from their office in North Carolina where it was reiterated that no way would they pay it. Well, finally did get the cheque. They also reimburse the dealer only by cheque so if you can't pay the bill yourself, you'll wait until the cheque clears. It took 2 weeks to receive the reimbursement and we faxed it in the same day we picked up the RV. We contacted an attorney to sue for the balance but the cost of the suit would have amounted to the recovery so decided not to throw any more good money after bad. This company has zero class in customer relations and has left us with a very sour taste. We're stuck with them for another 3 years but this time we have the lawyer on speed dial. IF you have a choice, and I agree that an extended warranty is a wise move, check out other companies, there definitely has to be better around.
I have to ask if you are sure that your contract is with Cornerstone? I have an Ultimate contract with them( haven't used it yet ) and they also offer a select contract, but no "Platnum" is offered. I also get $200 a day vs the $ 100 you stated for add'l expenses. They sound like different co's to me. Just asking.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer View Post
I purchased a "Platinum" policy from Go West RV in Coquitlam when I purchased my unit about a year ago. It was sold as a "bumper to bumper but not including the bumpers" warranty cost over $5000.00 for 4 year coverage. We had a major breakdown about 7000kms. later that has left us over $2000.00 out of pocket. This company operates on Eastern time, are basically 9 to 5 er's (with an hour off for lunch of course)don't work weekends and don't have an emergency number. We had the misfortune to breakdown near Bakersfield California on a Thursday afternoon, before Easter Good Friday. Couldn't get in touch with these guys until Monday morning (they never put on the telephone message that they were closed Friday until Saturday, spent hours with the repair shop on the line waiting for someone to pick up). When we finally did get in contact, not once did anyone have the courtesy to say, sorry about your breakdown, let's see what we can do to get you back on the road. They spent the majority of time telling me what they wouldn't cover. Forget the "bumper to bumper" sales pitch, that's all it is. They refused to pay the taxes (the excuses were incredible), and refused to increase the down time expenses even though we couldn't reach them for 4 days. The tax argument went on for several weeks, got a call from their office in North Carolina where it was reiterated that no way would they pay it. Well, finally did get the cheque. They also reimburse the dealer only by cheque so if you can't pay the bill yourself, you'll wait until the cheque clears. It took 2 weeks to receive the reimbursement and we faxed it in the same day we picked up the RV. We contacted an attorney to sue for the balance but the cost of the suit would have amounted to the recovery so decided not to throw any more good money after bad. This company has zero class in customer relations and has left us with a very sour taste. We're stuck with them for another 3 years but this time we have the lawyer on speed dial. IF you have a choice, and I agree that an extended warranty is a wise move, check out other companies, there definitely has to be better around.

If they are, in fact that bad, why would you even continue having them as your extended warranty company? I would have dropped them like a hot potatoe and gotten a refund on the remaining coverage balance.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
If they are, in fact that bad, why would you even continue having them as your extended warranty company? I would have dropped them like a hot potatoe and gotten a refund on the remaining coverage balance.

I have no reasonable choice but to remain with them. Their policy states that cancelling gives them the right to recover any paid out funds. That would leave me with no refundable balance and with 3 years left on the contract, not a very bright move.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I have to ask if you are sure that your contract is with Cornerstone? I have an Ultimate contract with them( haven't used it yet ) and they also offer a select contract, but no "Platnum" is offered. I also get $200 a day vs the $ 100 you stated for add'l expenses. They sound like different co's to me. Just asking.

I'm sure they have different types of policys, mine was purchased in Vancouver, B.C. and, at the time(1 year ago)was sold as the best they had to offer in Canada. This was one of the reasons that, an American company, refusing to pay American taxes, was a huge bone of contention. The fact that, after several weeks of arguements, they reimbursed the taxes means they were wrong to start with. I wonder how many times they got away without paying because people didn't pursue them.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

If you have no refundable balance because they've paid out so much; it sounds like you already got your monies worth out of them; and you still have 3 years coverage!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
If you have no refundable balance because they've paid out so much; it sounds like you already got your monies worth out of them; and you still have 3 years coverage!

Wow! Not the point! Hope they don't need help again!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
What does that have to do with my complaints? I paid over $5000.00 up front for just that reason. Your defense of a company you obviously haven't dealt with is strange, or do you work for them under a pseudonym?