Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #15

That is all wrong. 12 volt batteries are not hooked in series.

Use positive to positive and negative to negative, unless you have a 24 volt Battery Tender.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #16

Correct procedure for disconnecting Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Use positive to positive and negative to negative, unless you have a 24 volt Battery Tender.

Huh? You talking about tgdamaron?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

The only thing puzzling is why hook the negative to the second batteries negative. Doesn't hurt, but it doesn't do anything different from hooking the charger to the (+) and (-) on the same battery.

If you hooked up the two 12 volts in series as above, then you'd produce 24 v , not 12 v.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
I use the cable from the coach to hook positive of one battery to the positive of the other battery as well as the negative to the negative (12v batteries are hooked up in parallel). The Battery Tender is then hooked the positive of battery one and the negative of battery two.
By hooking the + of the battery tender to Pos Batt 1, and the -of the battery tender to Neg of Batt 2, voltage drop across the resistance of the two connecting cables is about equal and applied voltage across each battery is equal. This is a good practice when connecting the batteries to the RV converter, or charging them; but with the low current from the battery tender probably a nice to do, not a necessary to do, sort of thing.
E= IR, E= .1 amp x .5 ohm, E = .05 volt
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #19

[QUOTE=t55watson;2790460]Well Michguy maybe a SPARTAN can give you an answer. If you only have one battery disconnect switch that is for the house only. The chassis batteries are still connected and a draw-down is possible. Soooo add another disconnect switch. Or disconnect battery. Positive cable first (red 1 )then the ground (black 1 ). When reconnecting, red first then black.[/QUOTE]
t55watson
Where did that idea come from?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
Since batteries are so expensive and getting more so, I always take my batteries out and store them in the garage with a smart charger on them such as Battery Tender. I have 12v batteries. If you have two batteries, I do, I use the cable from the coach to hook positive of one battery to the positive of the other battery as well as the negative to the negative (12v batteries are hooked up in parallel). The Battery Tender is then hooked the positive of battery one and the negative of battery two. It produces enough amps to keep both batteries charged.
This post was changed, after my post, correcting it.

I'm not crazy !?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #21

Ah, was that a statement or a question?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #22

Tony, there is only one Positive and one Negative terminal for each bank of batteries no matter how many batteries are in the set.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #23

Well if the OP wasn't confused when we started, he sure should be now. Just take the negative cable loose on each battery and then connect a trickle charger to each battery.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Well if the OP wasn't confused when we started, he sure should be now. Just take the negative cable loose on each battery and then connect a trickle charger to each battery.
The OP said he was storing his RV "for a couple months outdoors in Hot Springs, Arkansas." I think he was inferring he had no power at the place he was storing it, so how could he hook up a trickle charger? Plus, if the batteries are charged up and a negative cable is removed, they should survive with no other attention needed. I've done it for many Ohio winters in boats and RVs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #25

Harbor freight has solar trickle chargers cheap.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
If you touch the red cable to the positive post when the black cable is connected you will get a spark. Sometimes a BIG spark. This introduces the possibility of big BANG from the gasses that are given off of a battery.
Tony stated it correctly. I had to re-read his post 3 times to clarify myself as to what he actually said.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP said he was storing his RV "for a couple months outdoors in Hot Springs, Arkansas." I think he was inferring he had no power at the place he was storing it, so how could he hook up a trickle charger? Plus, if the batteries are charged up and a negative cable is removed, they should survive with no other attention needed. I've done it for many Ohio winters in boats and RVs.
Mitchguy, pay attention to this post. It is the only one that makes sense. Remove or disconnect the Negative cable from the House battery set and the Negative cable from the chassis battery set. Forget about trickle chargers since you don't have power. You will be just fine for a couple months. Hook up the two Negative cables when you're ready and away you go.
This is Very Simple, don't overthink it.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Just to keep this going somewhat off topic.....

Beware when using your trickle charger. Some of them can still overcharge your batteries. Almost all walmart chargers aren't good for our batteries.

The Iota battery chargers and this expensive trickle charger are sufficient.

Battery Minder Battery Chargers
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries