Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Corrosion

Hi,

I am not mechanically inclined but have always been told to look under a vehicle for signs of rust when purchasing a used car. I recently purchased a rather "new" used 2012 model year RV with relatively low miles (4,000+). This weekend I decided to look under the RV and I noticed what I believe is "superficial" rust on the inside of the wheels. I believe it is the brake drum area as well as where the drive meets the axle. My question is being a 2012 RV is this normal? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #2

A lot of it depends on where the motorhome came from.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #3

Its originally from southern california. Could rust in these locations be normal?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George1285 View Post
Its originally from southern california. Could rust in these locations be normal?
If it spent a time near the ocean, the salt in the air could very well cause the rust. What time we spent in MO, even the hint of snow or ice had the highway dept putting down salt which corrodes everything in short order.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
It's normal for brake components to get surface rust due to sitting unless you're in a very arid desert. Furthermore, where was your RV made, not bought? Naked chassis often sit in a manufacturer's field for months before it has a house built on it, so again rust is normal. If it's really concerning to you, treat rust with a neutralizer (Naval Jelly or the like) and then spray with undercoating, but be aware rust happens.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #6

Neither of those areas are painted or plated at the factory to prevent rust, on any vehicle. I have never seen either of those areas rusted to the point of being unsafe either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
paz

It is common practice for motorhome manufacturers to store chassis outside, sometimes for months. The chassis frequently show signs of rust before the motorhome is even built, especially on unpainted surfaces like brake drums.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's surface rust, not a problem. What you don't want to see is heavy rust that looks like it can flake off.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
If it spent a time near the ocean, the salt in the air could very well cause the rust. What time we spent in MO, even the hint of snow or ice had the highway dept putting down salt which corrodes everything in short order.
I have lived on the coast my entire life and have often wondered about that comment, "the salt in the air" when I learned in grade school that salt gets left behind with evaporation. Perhaps they were wrong years ago although that is how most "sea salt" is gathered from evaporation ponds. Why distill water if the compounds in the water will vaporize and re-condense with the water?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I have lived on the coast my entire life and have often wondered about that comment, "the salt in the air" when I learned in grade school that salt gets left behind with evaporation. Perhaps they were wrong years ago although that is how most "sea salt" is gathered from evaporation ponds. Why distill water if the compounds in the water will vaporize and re-condense with the water?
Tiny droplets of ocean water gets lifted by the wind and deposited on everything nearby. When the water evaporates from those droplets, salt is left behind. Glass will show the salt deposits first, but it happens anywhere near the ocean. These droplets contain salt and other ocean chemicals and life. This is different than the water vapor evaporated from the ocean, which is just water.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

I used to rent motor homes in the So Cal area and unwitting people would launch their boat to the extent of drowning the motor home. A little salt for everything under there.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

I used to live on the beach and salt corrosion is very overrated for being in the air, but not for using it to launch a boat.

The main thing to look for is a rusted out frame. If a mechanical component that can be replaced is rusted, generally it's not a big deal. Your coach won't be totaled if the brake drum has a bit of rust.

When you see vehicles that have been really rusted you get things like seats falling through the frame while the driver is on the road and those types of issues can become extremely expensive to fix. They generally are caused by driving on salted road in the winter like in the rust belt areas, although there are other potential causes like being submerged in water.

For anything structural, I would recommend trying to fix the rust by sanding it down to bare metal and coating it with DTM primer. It is possible for rust to accelerate quickly especially in areas with lots of snow/rain/condensation and something that looks like it's on the surface could turn into something you could poke your finger through.

bb32