Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #15

Jjva, I would look at it this way. If you(we) can afford to buy a Class A, then afford the fuel to put enough miles on it to wear out the engine, then you can afford to repair that engine if or when that time comes. So I say, buy, drive, and enjoy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #16

I don't get the "used up by 100,000 miles" idea. Those engines go a lot farther than that in heavy trucks and buses that are as big and heavy as a MH plus they accumulate miles a lot faster in most cases. We bought one with over 100,000 on it to get a feel for motorhomes at a low entry cost then traded for a new one. Would do it again if we needed to. The chassis will likely need more work than the engine. Did brakes and U-Joints on that one.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #17

"I've looked around on sites like this and have seen where the Fords can die in 50,000 miles or last for over 150,000 miles, based in large part on how they are maintained, and part on luck."

I've spent a year researching rvs on this forum, another forum, and reading various articles. I don't believe you did any research at all as no general range like that has come up. If anything it is 150k to 200K before major maintenance/replacement costs.

If your range was true the market would know about it and the word would have gotten out in a forum such as this and the gas models would not be the hot sellers they are, especially with the new suspensions.

To me, you sound like you are just having fun trolling to stir the pot. Sorry, that dog won't hunt.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a Ford person, but have one. The 50,000 mile statement it totally ridiculous and coming from someone totally uninformed. I agree with RogerS, just someone trying to stir the pot.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
With all due respect, I'm not a Ford fan, but find this very hard to believe...
I am also not a ford fan but put79000 miles on myv10with just oil and filter abs fuel change and most of those it had a 24ft enclose with a car in it
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Jjva, I would look at it this way. If you(we) can afford to buy a Class A, then afford the fuel to put enough miles on it to wear out the engine, then you can afford to repair that engine if or when that time comes. So I say, buy, drive, and enjoy.
Yes, I agree. I just didn't want to hear that if and when the engine needed replacement, the cost would be prohibitive. From the costs I hear here, it would be economically infeasible if the motorhome was probably very, very old and abused. Thanks.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjva343 View Post
First, let me be clear, I am no mechanic. Not at all. I might be buying a used gas Class-A motorhome with the ever present Ford V-10. I might be wrong about this, but replacing the engine with a new or a rebuilt one would be the largest single expense I might face. And yes, I know that there are plenty of other big problems I could face.

Has anybody had to do this? How in the world can someone replace the engine with the whole "house" built on top of, and around, the engine? Does anybody have a solid idea of what the worst case could cost? Thanks. Don't ask me to clarify my question more than I have, because I would be talking without understanding of the issues.
My story is about 15 years old, but here it is:

I bought an older coach with a noisy motor (Piston Slap). I took it to a mechanic, and he put in a new piston and Crank, for about $800. Still noisy, after the repair. Lots of conversation ensued, but engine was still noisy, he was paid- he would not do anything else .

I gathered info-and started taking the engine apart-taking all the parts out through the door . It did not take long to get to the naked block- which I took out through the door, as well. I took the Block to a builder-he bored, the block & put in new pistons ($3000). I then put the block back in, & reassembled the engine ($400 gaskets & incidentals) .

The job was done part-time, and took me about a month. But, when I was done, it ran like new. I kept the coach about a year, and then sold it. The mechanics were fine, but I just did not like the coach.

So, I suggest staying away from rebuilding - Buy one that runs good, there are plenty of them out there, and they will run a long time if they are cared for. Motorhomes are enough trouble without fooling with a bad drivetrain.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, install