Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Cost For Re-Sealing

I'm curious what others have paid for having their coach re-sealed. What did it cost to have the windows, roof seams, penetrations etc re done by a shop.

Reason I ask is that my Country Coach is in the shop having some body work done and I asked about having things sealed. I had to pick myself off the floor when they quoted me $1,900.

I guess I must be underestimating the amount of work or something.

Unless it's way more involved than I would think, for that price I can figure out the process myself.

Toni & Leila
2005 Country Coach Inspire 51431
Orting, WA
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
At $ 100 bucks an hour that a bit much for three four tubes of Dicor. Unless it covers repair to damaged or weatherd roof or fittings?

Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
What shop?
Doesn't your CC have a full fiberglass roof? If so there shouldn't be much sealing to do.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
What do you expect? They see you bring in a 150K MH and figure your rich so soak it to you!
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
It depends on what they are quoting to do. I resealed my entire 5th wheel a few years ago the caulk was cracked very bad and I had caulked over it several times during the 10 years. I decided to remove and reseal it and let me tell you that takes quite a few hours so if they charge $100 per hour 19 hours is not bad to do what I did. If they are just caulking over the old then it is way too much.
Rod and Emma
2015 Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL9, 380hp, 28ft Car Hauler Trailer, 2014 Ford, C-Max, 2004 Honda VTX1800, 2003 Honda Gold Wing, GL1800 w/2 Seat Champion Sidecar
GoldWing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 40Ft Itasca Horizon, since my husband has back issues & can't get on the roof any longer, we took our coach to the RV dealer to have all the caulking on the roof, around the all the vents and along the side by the drip rails replaced. They removed all old caulking and put new caulking in all the areas, cost was $1400. We did not have any windows done.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just resealed my roof with EPDM. Great stuff. Like a thick rubber blanket over my whole roof. No primer required on rubber roofs or fiberglass and only one coat application. Materials under $900 with 10 year warrantee. It is DIY or you can should be able to hire someone to wash the roof and apply for under $1K.
EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to be a little more specific as to what the work the quote covers.

If its just some guy going around with a caulk gun, (I bet its not) then this is way to high.

However, if this is removing the windows, trim, etc applying new sealing gasket / material, then this sounds reasonable.

On the roof, does it include new A/C gasket, and perhaps vent gaskets or just re-sealing over existing.

There are a lot of links and Youtube videos that show you how to do it. Make sure you know exactly what that $1900 is going to do, and I suspect if your a reasonable good DIYer, you could do it yourself.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cost For Re-Sealing

While that does seem high, it's very similar to quotes I recently got for my 39 footer.

I applied EternaBond tape to all of my roof seams several years ago, thinking I would never have to worry about seams again. I was wrong - the California sun has done a number on the EternaBond and it is lifting in some areas, despite the recommended prep work that I did. I now have an elusive roof leak so I'm done messing around. Instead of paying a repair shop a massive amount to re-seal my roof seams, I've decided to have my entire roof re-coated by RV Roof Armor. It is not cheap, but someone with a caulking gun will not give a lifetime warranty. My rig is 10 years old now, so I will sleep better knowing my aging roof has received a long-lasting facelift.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
I have to meet with the shop on a couple other issues so I think I"ll get them to give me a detailed description of all what they will do for that price. All they told me was they would reseal the windows, seal the sattelite dome, and seal the two seams on top, I believe to be the seams where the front and rear clip meet up with the roof.

My wife is in favoring of us letting them do it, perhaps in fear that I will do it with a spatula or something, and leave a mess.

One thing I've found a bit of a surprise. On our old 93 Monaco, I did everything myself, including swapping out a new 8.3 cummins engine. this newer Country Coach is in such spectatular condition, we tend to spend more paying others to do things I'd otherwise do.

thanks for all the thoughts.
Toni & Leila
2005 Country Coach Inspire 51431
Orting, WA
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like about 3X what you should be paying for that job.

Do it yourself, or shop around !
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
Country Coach Owners Club
My CC is 20 yrs old.

Never been resealed, except where I redid the paint.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote