Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cost of a Blowout....

Saturday of Labor day weekend 2015 my wife and I were headed south from Northern VA on RT29 just south of Charlottesville VA. My 03 Dutchstar with 2008 tires with NO visible cracking, un-even wear and pressurized to 110 psi cold and monitored with a new TirePressure pro TPMS experienced a blowout on the right front BF Goodrich tire. I had just checked temperatures and pressures (119psi hot) less than 30 minutes prior to the bang. I was traveling about 45-50mph up a slight grade and easily able to move the coach to the wide although steep shoulder.There was some minor damage to the fender liner as the tire partially dismounted it's self. I did not have a spare. I called Coach Net, they found a service truck that could bring new tires (advising that I would need to replace both front tires), an hour later they called back to advise the first service provider was not available so the searched for another. I then started calling around and found what I thought was a local provider in Charlottesville, This ordeal started at 1:30 pm. A state Trooper shows up and advised that I was a hazard and request that I be towed. I called Coach Net again and request a tow and I provided a local tow company that could handle my 40’ long 30k pound rig. They agreed and within an hour I had a Large tow truck…it’s about 6:00pm now. The tow truck operator looks at my rig and ask that I lift it using the jacks..I agreed since there was NO way to jack the coach from the front since it was almost flush with the ground. He took a good look at it and shared that he had towed many class A coaches and due to the tilt and ground clearance advised me it would likely he might damage some fiberglass…BUT, if I had a good tire on the front I could drive it off the shoulder (I had already thought of that…but I had no spare) He asked if it be ok for him to call the shop and have the service truck bring me a used “spare” from a wrecked trailer. I though it to be a heck of an idea. The service truck shows up about 20 minutes later with a dirty but serviceable aluminum wheel and drive tire (one with tread) He put that one on my coach and had me follow the service truck to a parking lot about 4 miles up the road. I called the tire service guy and advised him of my new location. When we arrived at the parking lot I asked the tow truck driver if he would sell me the tire he bought me… $150.00 and it was mine! He left and about 20 minutes later my two new Bridgestones showed up in another service truck. I asked this guy to install the two new tires on my shiny aluminum wheels and to move my left front BF Goodrich to my newly acquired “spare”.. About 8:30 pm all the tires were swapped and my new spare stowed inside of my toad. After fueling up nearby we were on the road at 9:30pm and at our destination by 11:30. The cost for the road service was $1800.00 ($585 per tire and rest labor and travel) , I will submit some of this to CoachNet. Let me assure you, I was not in the boondocks… it was a holiday weekend and not a good time to need service. This was an expensive endeavor. I have a credit card and insurance… but if I had that spare I would have been on the road much faster and saved myself almost $2000.00. I have room for the spare in the basement, that is where it is now. And the BF Goodrich tire that blew had absolutely no signs of dry rot or damage inside or out, and the pressure was spot on perfect. It just blew. The tire service guy shared that he sees it all the time, he also said the Bridgestone has a thicker sidewall. My new tires on the front are bigger, 290/75 R22.5 and they ride quieter and drive better than the prior tires. No balancing involved either. So, learn from my experience, carry a spare if possible…. Unless you have time and money to throw away..
BTW, I am aware that we were Blessed to safe through this whole ordeal, many folks have not been as fortunate.

Doug

photos below

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	106812   Click image for larger version

Name:	tireblown.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	106813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tilted.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	106814  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Doug for posting this, I am sure this will help a lot of others out. So glad that everything turned out good, by that I mean, you got back on the road safe and sound, it could of been so much worse.

Now that you got your spare, youll probably never need it.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
1st of all glad you Guy's are or were safe and sound during that experience , Second your tires were Timed out ! Your lucky in most respects ! Date codes are important and as well as parking time for Tires .
Glad it all worked out !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

That is good Info on the spare. Thanks
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Could you please explain the "Parking Time" part. I don't let my MH tires exceed 7 years but is Parking time worse/better? I had not heard anything specifically related to parking time before so interested in learning about this.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

I hope you turned your reefer off when @ that steep angle.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your experience. It can get very expensive as you well know. I have been there in my trucking days and always carry a mounted spare. I am quite fine with the fact that I probably will never use it and the space it takes and the weight etc.

Your post is good hands on experience to be shared with others.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

Which model of Bridgestone did you get?
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Could you please explain the "Parking Time" part. I don't let my MH tires exceed 7 years but is Parking time worse/better? I had not heard anything specifically related to parking time before so interested in learning about this.
Parking time as I refereed to is the extended time a MH sits like in storage and weather your tires were covered. My Tire Guy explained to me that the longer it sits stationary is worse for the tires than rolling mileage, however parking or storage in an enclosed building is much better on the tires. Not saying that's what caused your tire to let go but can be a contributing factor .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
I will do that.. Tires are designed to be rollign rolling rolling, Rolling down the highway, Flexing the rubber to live.

This flexing brings essential oils to the surface of the tire.. These oils protect and preserve the tire.. When it's just flat sitting there not rolling the sun does nasty things and there is no oil to protect.. Many of the tire covers (including the ones I have on just now) do not do that good a job of protecting the tire from sunlight. (I have two major repairs I need to do and a 3rd I'd like to do to this motor home.. ONE is a new engine.. Not much point in replacing the tires till I replace the engine.. They are #2.. Transmission (routine service) is #3)

I have seen same age spares in much worse condition than the service tires due to sunlight coming right through the spare tire cover.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh and to the original poster.....

I'd have dropped the jacks long before the nice Patrol officer arrived.. That's way too slanted for comfrot.. Jacks likely would not have leveled it but they sure would have helped.

Might have leveled it enough to make coffee . (I'm a Coffee Holic don't you know)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Interesting and scary thread. FWIW, I paid about $1700 to replace my two front tires with Michelin's, including labor and front end alignment. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend an alignment with those new tires.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to read everything worked out. My one roadside tire replacement was not as expensive overall but $500 for a 19.5" Goodyear was a budget hit for me. One does not have much room to negotiate when on the side of the interstate early evening on a Friday. Road Service will get you help but their a bit reluctant to pay for material.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

I have a simple rule, being a fulltimer. If it over 5 years old I replace it. The tires are carring my home, and it is a safety thing.