Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Speedco is now Loves and prices are significantly higher including an RV upcharge of about $75.
Loves has no longer has centralized MH service, one must call each location and ask if they service MH's and their pricing structure; I emailed them last year to check.
The main reason for the upcharge is, MH's must be driven into the bay from the exit because of the rear engine. This effectively blocks trucks from entering the correct direction, which of course irritates drivers who are losing money when waiting.

I now use a local HDT repair shop, who charges me close to the same amount as the old Speedco rates.
Loves has the right to set their policies, I have the right to spend my money where I choose.
Sorry for the rant, sore spot.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #16

I have had my annual service on Class A Tiffin (diesel engine oil, filter, fuel filter, generator oil, filter and fuel filter) done at Speedco the last three years. First year $425, second was just after Love’s bought them and the cost was $440. I had heard all the horror stories recently that Love’s/Speedco changed the pricing and it was significantly more, to include a $70 RV surcharge. Well this past Saturday (03/09/19) I had all the services done, to include a new generator air filter this year, and the cost was $407.55. In my book the new price structure is a pretty good deal.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #17

Not to be smart, but if you want to play you have to pay or do it yourself to save that $100 a hour labor. I do my own takes about a hour.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #18

I am reading this post and others like it with eyes open. We acquired our first MH a year ago, and it's time for service. I'm quite picky on where I get my vehicles serviced, and often do the oil changes myself since the 60's, and have an area where that can be done at the house. Being retired, I need to watch costs whenever I can. The cost of an oil change is not cheap. The volume of oil, parts costs, labor and shop costs all add up. So, I have decided to purchase a fumoto valve and when I go to the shop, have them install it when changing the oil. It's the only way I can handle the large amount of oil draining from the MH for later oil changes. My son in law is a certified diesel mechanic and I will definitely call on him for advice and help. However, he does not come cheap! The added costs will be beer and ribs.

I'm always looking for an adventure and changing oil on a MH, which is a lot different from previous cars and trucks, will be a new one for me.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #19

Since we are talking about motorhome maintenance, don't forget the engine air filter (~every 2 years) air brake compressed air air dryer(~every 3 years), engine fuel filters (~every year, could be two fuel filters), yearly Exhaust Brake lubrication (some makes like PacBrake need it, some do not), cleaning the exterior of the radiators (you could have a coolant radiator & a compressed air radiator sandwiched to each other (This is very important for those diesel engines where the slobber tube has not been extended) and so much more.

If you have questions, just ask. There are plenty of great owners who do their own maintenance on this forum who will share their expertise.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #20

Cost of an oil and filter change, generator oil and filter change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Speedco is now Loves and prices are significantly higher including an RV upcharge of about $75.

And still a great price for those of us that can no longer wrench!
Hey, it’s only once per year.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #21

Cummins Ocala charged me about $400 for engine and gen service plus two fuel filters and chassis service/inspection. Worthwhile IMHO especially when the tech found a couple of items that needed to be fixed that may have caused major problems down the road.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I change the oil on my ISB myself. Five gallons of Rotella at Sams Club $75, filter from local heavy duty truck parts store $18. I installed a drain valve in the oil pan years ago. I save the 2 1/2 gallon jugs from the last oil change and they fit under the valve to catch the drained oil. Watch the first jug till almost filled, turn off the valve and change jugs. All of the remaining oil will fit in the second jug. Remove and replace filter while second jug fills.

Go to generator and drain oil from it into the second jug (my Onan 7.5 QD holds3 quarts. Open door on bottom of generator and remove filter. Replace with Fram filter from Wally World (less than $5). Hand tighten!

Measure 3 quarts of new oil into a container and pour in generator. Pour the balance in the 5.9, and clean up your tools. Less than $100, about 30 min.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Joe View Post
So far I have been priced from $399-500.00 for a simple oil and filter change on the Cummins 5.9 ISB engine and what I assume to be an oil filter and oil change on the propane generator.

What in God's name am I missing? Maybe $20 for an oil filter and 17-19 qts of oil 15W-40 grade. Haven't checked into the generator yet....maybe 5qts of oil and a $10 filter?

What makes it so expensive? I have a shop that will take the oil so they can burn it in their heating system. Five minutes to pull the filter, 3 minutes to put oil in the new filter and screw it back on. Maybe 10 minutes to drain the pan. Another 10 to put oil in the engine.

Maybe you should go price out the parts for the service & see exactly how much they are figuring for labor. $399 may not be all that bad. If I'm due for an air filter my parts list to service the Cummins ISL & genny is probably $300+.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Not sure why this can be such a complicated answer. Go figure out parts price for any job. Get quotes for parts plus labor from a shop. Then figure if you want to take on the task or have it done. Simple.

Use to do all the wrenching on all my drives. First service on new to us Tiffin, with 450 Cummins in the rear, found the best Cummins ship I could find, asked a million questions while they changed oil and fuel filters on both engines and serviced the aqua hot. Nice piece of mind to have guys that know their sh@t go over your rig. Maybe one day I will change the fluids, but there is so much!!!!
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #25

I just had mine done at the CAT dealer for $441.00 They serviced the engine and generator checked and adjusted the brakes checked the oil level on front wheels serviced the chassis, checked the antifreeze + a general inspection of belts and other items.

A friend with a similar coach took his to Freightliner and they quoted him right at $1000.00 for the same service. He took it to the CAT dealer even though he has a Cummings engine.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Cummins Ocala charged me about $400 for engine and gen service plus two fuel filters and chassis service/inspection. Worthwhile IMHO especially when the tech found a couple of items that needed to be fixed that may have caused major problems down the road.

Is that the one on SW 52nd ?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Engine
Wix Air Filter = $25
Wix Oil Filter = $18
8 Qts Mobile 1 = $48

Generator
Onan Air Filter = $10
Onan Oil Filter = $12
2 Qts Mobile 1 = $12

Total = $126

Dispose of used oil = Free.

That's what it costs for an annual oil, filter, air filter change on a gasser. Takes about 30 minutes total.

I lube the chassis every 1000 miles or less and that cost about $1.
I concur with the DIY price on a gas coach. For Ford F53, oil & filter $63.69. Air Filter $29.95 using all Motocraft parts. The same cost as you on the Onan. The gas Class A is much easier to work on than my old class C and I picked gas over diesel because I can do everything myself.

I do not get the part where people say you need a Fumoto valve on the engine oil pan. I just run the jacks up until the wheels are just in contact with the ground. An 18 quart (closed top) oil pan rests securely right on the front axle and steering rods. Open the bolt and let her flow. I slide the pan over to be below the filter and punch a hole in it to drain that oil. Replace the filter and done. To fill, I have a funnel with a hose on it to snake up into the fill pipe.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I concur with the DIY price on a gas coach. For Ford F53, oil & filter $63.69. Air Filter $29.95 using all Motocraft parts. The same cost as you on the Onan. The gas Class A is much easier to work on than my old class C and I picked gas over diesel because I can do everything myself.

I do not get the part where people say you need a Fumoto valve on the engine oil pan. I just run the jacks up until the wheels are just in contact with the ground. An 18 quart (closed top) oil pan rests securely right on the front axle and steering rods. Open the bolt and let her flow. I slide the pan over to be below the filter and punch a hole in it to drain that oil. Replace the filter and done. To fill, I have a funnel with a hose on it to snake up into the fill pipe.
I've always worked under the assumption that punching a hole and letting oil drain out might not be the best practice. If some some reason you can't get the filter off, you would be out of luck.

I've looked at getting a oil drain valve, but then I looked at having to change the oil on two tractors, a Honda CRV, and a Toyota Sequoia plus the motorhome, buying valves for all of them adds up. I use one 24 quart drain pan for all of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloTool Oil Drain Pan.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	238554  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator