Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Cost of electricity fulltiming in a 40 class A.

We are staying on a family members property in SW CA and we have created full hook-ups. This was done anticipating a budget of around $50.00 a month for electric full timing. First off I didn't realize that CA pays about 43% more for electric than the national average. We have been sharing the electric bill trying to make it equitable for both parties since they have the two previous year bills for averaging. But that being said the first month we paid them $175.00 and now the second month $200.00,
We created our budget on the cost to operate our 2100 sq ft home in FL all electric including a pool that ran 8 hr every day with electric heat pump. Out bills for electricity ran from $158 to $240. So my question is does anyone have any input to support the cost of electricity in CA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That sounds similar to our electric costs here in the Northeast.

We spent ~16 days at an RV park in RI in July in a metered electric spot. At the end of our stay, it cost an additional $98 in metered electric. Yes, it was a warm time in July and we ran both the roof airs during the day, with just one at night. Plus our TV, microwave, refrigerator and 2 or 3 laptops at a time.

Interestingly enough, this is about the same amount it costs for electric in our S&B rental in RI when we stay there with the RV plugged into the house. We don't stay *in* the RV when we are there, but on average it costs about $200/mo.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
....... So my question is does anyone have any input to support the cost of electricity in CA.
I have lived in California for 30 years now and have absolutely no input to support the cost of electricity in California, or anything else for that matter, other than the weather. After all, a bit over 10 years (I think) ago there was a big scandal over electricity producers sticking it to California by manipulating the spot electricity market.

Your only recourse is to go solar or relocate to another state.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
We are staying on a family members property in SW CA and we have created full hook-ups. This was done anticipating a budget of around $50.00 a month for electric full timing. First off I didn't realize that CA pays about 43% more for electric than the national average. We have been sharing the electric bill trying to make it equitable for both parties since they have the two previous year bills for averaging. But that being said the first month we paid them $175.00 and now the second month $200.00,
We created our budget on the cost to operate our 2100 sq ft home in FL all electric including a pool that ran 8 hr every day with electric heat pump. Out bills for electricity ran from $158 to $240. So my question is does anyone have any input to support the cost of electricity in CA.
Have your family member look at the amount paid before you started staying there and compare them. That will give you an idea of what your electrical costs are. We full time and our electric bill is right around $125 per month more or less. That will also depend on the amount the utility charges per Kwh. Some are as low as 11 cents and as high as 18. I hope this helps!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Likely you have tiered metering. Three or four tiers. As the usage goes up into another tier the cost of that tier is higher per kWh. The top tiers are very expensive and with two households the bill will go disproportionally higher. Check recent electric bills to see if tiered billing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #6

Staying for just $200/month is pretty reasonable. Everybody wins

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
FL is not the cheap anymore either. I live in Cape Coral, we just had a 10% City tax added Oct 1st, that's $30. per month just for the City and now a monthly fuel adjustment cost. My home is 2,900 sq ft and we average $300. per month and I am probably better insulated than a MH.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in S TX I pay ~$0.10 per KWH. I live in a 3 BR brick house. I have an RV lot and casita that I rent, my tenet's bill for a 40' DP and a washer/dryer and fridge in the casita (no heat or air) is always more than the house. Last mo. his was $90 mine $87
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We are staying at a mobile home park that has some spots set up for RV's. The first month our electric was around $250, I complained. After a couple of months they had the pedestal tested. The meter said we were using electric like it was going out of style but it tested at only pulling 3-4 amps, supposedly barely enough to make it move. After them replacing the meter and pedestal our electric went down to around $50 last month, it will be maybe $90 this month since we have been using the fireplace for heat and the microwave to do some baking and stuff. We got back just over $300 in refund for being overcharged.

Have the meter tested to make sure it's reading what you are actually using. In CA "Weights & Measures" is who tested it. Apparently they are part of the electric company out here in Lancaster. Testing is free and they told us to call them anytime if we wanted to test it.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Our winter residence is 1300sq ft. mobile home in the Riverside area, our electricity runs around $80.00 a mo., and we don't try to conserve. IMO that's too high.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you are paying around 17 cents per KW hour. According to your figures you are using around 1100 KWH per month or about 40 KWH per day. Seems a bit high for a motor home but I have no idea how much you run your air. That is the largest user in your motorhome unless you are using electric resistance type heaters. Still a pretty good deal for a full-timing set-up. Enjoy the time..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
According to your figures you are using around 1100 KWH per month or about 40 KWH per day. Seems a bit high for a motor home but I have no idea how much you run your air.
Like I stated previously we don't track our power usage, however I looked at our last billing at our summer location, we used 784KWH in Sept. We run the air when needed and heat pump to warm-up chilly mornings. Yes I would say 1100KWH is high. Keep in mind if you are paying half the bill, you may not be consuming half of the energy.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Is your motorhome All electric? Do you have Aqua hot for heat and hot water. You said you created hookups 50 amp or 30. There are a lot of variables. Why don't you install a pedestal with a meter and pay for what you use.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #14

It seems since they have 2 years of bills to average, divide that by 24 and you pay anything over that number. If it put them in another tier then that's your part of the bill since they are doing you the favor. But I would start looking at ways to get out of the upper tier billing by using more Solar and Propane etc.

Tags
class a