Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #15

I factored in the quarter round, glue, luan and other misc trim in my cost of 800. Good urethane glue is at least 80 or more. I said 3000 bc i could do a house in a day, all the cuts / waste (floor and trim) in a mh is a lot of work. Plus pulling all the bolted down furniture, toilet etc. We also started under the slide and since we couldn't face nail the first row we did three and let them dry overnight before proceeding with the rest of the floor.
All the angle cuts in the bathroom are enough to drive you insane! It is very time consuming and working in those tight quarters is tough.

Installer wise what you will end up paying for is that they can do a whole house in the amount of time it will take them to do the 200 or 300 sq ft in a mh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449629952.445309.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	113746

Close up of the stairs, still dirty from tailgating though. Used outside 90 deg corner stained and 6 coats oil base poly for good wear protection.

Trim going up the stairs is just 1/2 inch rectangle trim painted black. Stair tread is the ribbed vinyl runner stuff they cut from a roll at lowes. Stair tread will be replaced one day, it holds to much dirt and is hard to clean well. I will probably replace it with some commercial rubber stair tread. We originally didn't have the stained piece on the second step but we found out quick that without it, it was hard to see the individual steps in low light!

I wish I would have thought about the radiant heat for under the floor.

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Just had my 40-foot HR done with very nice vinyl plank and carpet - materials around $1,200 and labor around $3,800. Saw cheaper estimates, but this is quality materials and work.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Steve O is correct. The original poster said they want a professional job. To get that you have to pay. $8000 is a rip off.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Radar, did you have slides that go across the new floor? I ask because our MH has opposing sliced, part of the floor is ceramic tile, part carpet. We would like to replace the carpet with a wood product but the slides have different contact surfaces where it slides on the floor. On the tile portion there are nylon rollers and the carpet is a long nylon strip which glides across the carpet. When the slide is in it leaves a depression in the carpet. My concern is that would scratch or otherwise damage the wood flooring. I don't see it feasible to replace the slide contact surfaces.
I found that the rollers on my bedroom and drivers side slides would leave marks on the floor when they were retracted. I bought dinner table place mats (the rubber backed ones) and used one full one and cut another one in half. Taped them together long ways with 3M foil tape. The rollers stay clean and don't mar the laminate floor I installed. Plus they don't take up any room under the bed storage while we are camped.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The best bank for the buck would be to schedule a trip to Weatherford, TX and get Ernie E. To do the job. Ernie is the consummate professional and his method of letting you help & you pay materials and his hours gives the best job at the lowest price. In terms of a budget, I'm guessing a range of $3000 to $6000 is reasonable.

How do you contact Ernie E
Old 12-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecpayne View Post
How do you contact Ernie E

He has a Yahoo group and he does post on IRV2 forums.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...andrepair/info
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do a search on " New Flooring" . I did a new inlaid floor, it was Beauflor flooring. It was done in a 35 footer, went from the front to the bedroom. Had a guy in Wausau Wis.do it. I did the tear out as much as I could and he did the rest. You would think it was put in at the factory. It ended up costing about 1300 dollars.We just love it , no more carpet YIPPEE. I think the post starts around 3-20-14 and goes on from there.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The best bank for the buck would be to schedule a trip to Weatherford, TX and get Ernie E. To do the job. Ernie is the consummate professional and his method of letting you help & you pay materials and his hours gives the best job at the lowest price. In terms of a budget, I'm guessing a range of $3000 to $6000 is reasonable.
3-6K? I think when businesses hear the word Motorhome, they seem to think charging 2-3X of whats fair. Any good residential flooring person is able to install flooring in a coach as well as a house, it's just a little tighter but a good craftsman can adjust. To the OP, shop around and check their references
Old 12-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The guy that did mine was great. He does all the warranty work for King's Camper in Wausau Wis. The man does good work, might be worth the trip.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #24
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
joecpayne
To contact Ernie E
His info is 2 posts up from yours
Old 12-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
3-6K? I think when businesses hear the word Motorhome, they seem to think charging 2-3X of whats fair. Any good residential flooring person is able to install flooring in a coach as well as a house, it's just a little tighter but a good craftsman can adjust. To the OP, shop around and check their references
That's true. I had a residential guy do my coach with my help and it came out great. But the one thing a regular residential installer doesn't have is knowledge of the slides and how to work around and under them. I'm fortunate to have a great knowledge of the the working of most of an RVs systems and when in doubt I call the factory and talk to customer service for help.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
lots of factors can drive up the cost. Some factors can help lower it- especially if you are handy and able to do demo. Demo, to me, is a pain in the rear. But a necessary evil. I encourage all clients, if they are physically able, to help with demo. This way they get to be hands on with how their coach is built- and to actually see what this old man goes thru.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #27

I love the way our coach turned out (by ErnieE) especially the lighted entry. we used top grade 1/2 inch acacia engineered wood. We did majority of demolition. Cost ran about $2000 for material and 2700 for installation. Good experience. Probably have one of the better floored Bounders around.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449949062.124325.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	113969

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We had our whole floor replaced a year ago at Dave and LJ's in Woodland Wa.
They took out the old flooring, carpet and tiles, removed the slide, replaced some of the sub floor. Then tiled the whole coach.
I think it was about $5000, we had other things done also.
They did a great job, including the entry step.
Could I have saved some $ by using cheaper tile and not having the slide taken out?
Sure I could. But we wanted it done right, once.
That's what they did, never regretted the choice for a minute.