Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Cost of new flooring

I have read the threads going back to almost 2013... The possibility of having to replace carpet to vinyl/wood style floor will need to be part of a realistic budget when looking at a DP. I live in central FL area and would have it installed professionally. What would be an average cost and good referrals are always appreciated. We would be looking at a min. of 36'.

So many things go into making a budget, if you can think of any unexpected $$ surprises.. please share.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
I have read the threads going back to almost 2013... The possibility of having to replace carpet to vinyl/wood style floor will need to be part of a realistic budget when looking at a DP. I live in central FL area and would have it installed professionally. What would be an average cost and good referrals are always appreciated. We would be looking at a min. of 36'.

So many things go into making a budget, if you can think of any unexpected $$ surprises.. please share.

Well, this and the bedroom was about 750 bucks in materials but it is also heated which added a couple hundred. We did our own install. The re and re took us about 5 days of 4 or 5 hours each. (there were a lot of staples) If budget is an issue (was for us) consider doing the preparation your self.

Good luck.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post

The best bank for the buck would be to schedule a trip to Weatherford, TX and get Ernie E. To do the job. Ernie is the consummate professional and his method of letting you help & you pay materials and his hours gives the best job at the lowest price. In terms of a budget, I'm guessing a range of $3000 to $6000 is reasonable.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Radar, did you have slides that go across the new floor? I ask because our MH has opposing sliced, part of the floor is ceramic tile, part carpet. We would like to replace the carpet with a wood product but the slides have different contact surfaces where it slides on the floor. On the tile portion there are nylon rollers and the carpet is a long nylon strip which glides across the carpet. When the slide is in it leaves a depression in the carpet. My concern is that would scratch or otherwise damage the wood flooring. I don't see it feasible to replace the slide contact surfaces.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

This was about 800. 3/8 acacia from Lumber Liquidators. Self installed from front to around bed. We stained our own quarter round to match the floor. You can save by not buying the quarter round that matches the floor and staining it yourself. If I was charging I would say at least 3000 labor, due to the cuts and time. We have one slide that is the ride on top type. We removed the rollers that would run across the floor and covered them with vinyl sleeves that heat shrink on the rollers. They are actually for conveyor rollers but that is exactly what our slide rollers are. No scratches so far. I do not want to do this again, it was quite a project but well worth all the work. We did have the added joy of some rot to replace and to seal the leaks so what could have been a few day job turned into a few week job. We had carpet then vinyl plank and now eng wood. I should have done the eng wood in the beginning. As a note we put down luan first then used urethane glue for the floor. If we ever do have to take it up for some reason we wont mess up the osb HR used as the sub floor to bad. Luan is screwed and stapled. 8 months and all is still good on the floor here in south Louisiana. The eng wood does not expand and contract as bad as the vinyl plank did, we would literally have gaps with the vinyl depending on the temp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449547470.833454.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	113666Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449547486.036918.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	113667Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449547502.560887.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	113668Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449547516.284549.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	113669

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #6

AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

I have been calling around for estimates for my 39 foot pusher. The estimates ranges from $5000 to $8000 to redo the whole floor.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #8

blousteau, can you post a close-up of where the floor meets the stair riser?

I'd like to know what kind of trim you used.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

"Recarpet your RV" - Eric @ (352) 324-2894. He will come to your campsite if somewhere within the Ocala-Orlando-Tampa triangle. Around $2000 for carpet and maybe a bit more for other materials. I have seen several very positive reviews of his work.

I did my own new carpet, and helped a friend with vinyl plank. Not difficult if you are a handyman type, but time consuming. I recommend buying a top grade flooring, since the square footage is small and the labor cost the same as with cheap stuff.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
epj

We recovered the floor in our 36' HR this year. The entire floor now done in bamboo. Solid, not laminate. The very front under the dash is new carpet as well as the engine cover. The bedroom is done with new carpet. Total cost was about $3900. Looks really really nice.
Also included was a small area in the bathroom and bedroom that had some subfloor damage from a leaking water line.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Radar, did you have slides that go across the new floor? I ask because our MH has opposing sliced, part of the floor is ceramic tile, part carpet. We would like to replace the carpet with a wood product but the slides have different contact surfaces where it slides on the floor. On the tile portion there are nylon rollers and the carpet is a long nylon strip which glides across the carpet. When the slide is in it leaves a depression in the carpet. My concern is that would scratch or otherwise damage the wood flooring. I don't see it feasible to replace the slide contact surfaces.

Hmm. Our slide never touches the floor so it hasn't been a problem. Helped a friend with an install similar to yours and we decided to put the grain across the coach so if there was a scratch it would be less obvious. Surprisingly it also made the coach feel "wider" and less narrow. Kinda cool. Sorry don't have a pic. Hope this helps.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search my user name for a thread with pictures where we had sheet vinyl professionally installed. Came out great, best thing we have done to the coach. Under $1000.00 total for labor and materials.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
These prices seem really high. I bought 1500 square feet of Bella Wood engineered plank at Lumber Liquidator for $4500 and installed it in our house. A motor home is what? 320 square ft without slides?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #14

I think I have about $400 in mine.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449619518.748915.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	113721

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449619553.398707.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	261.3 KB