Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #15

We had an '01 Monaco Knight 30J, 31'DP with a 275HP ISB. It was a great RV at the campground; but an absolute nightmare on the road. The extremely short wheelbase / length ratio (168" / 31') made it a nightmare in crosswinds. Maybe that's why it was only available for about 18 months.

We traded it for an '05 Winnebago Vectra 36RD. The difference was like night and day. Too bad the CAT C7 doesn't get anywhere near the economy of the ISB (or ISL, for that matter).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #16

We had a gasser with a Ford 460 and some of the passes out in Oregon, Wash and Idaho we had to practicly push with the toad to get over, it was an older Safari we got rid if it and got a 91 Beaver Marquis 40 footer. Loaded ready to go weighs 36,000 lbs. It has a Cat 3176 (c-10) 325 hp with 1225 ft lbs torque. The same passes that the Safari cleared at 22 mph, we now top at 57 mph. The best milage we ever got was 9.6 and never lower than 8.6. Oh yes, it does cost more to maintain, there are more systems to go haywire, more filters to change, the volume af the various fluids are larger and the tires are bigger and cost more, we have air suspension, automatic air leveling and a jake brake to save on the brakes, full time 120 volts ac and never ending hot water. Its big and heavy and if needed you can put 500 miles a day with no problem, but it definetly costs more to buy and operate, but its worth every penny. When we pulled a long hill in the old Safari, I felt exhausted by the time we got to the top, now we blow by semis trucks and I dont have to ride the brakes down the other side, I just turn on the jakes. I try not to even worry to much about what it costs, it might take some of the fun out of it. The other thing we like about the diesel is the noise, or the lack of it, with a gasser you have a big motor throwing out lots of noise and heat right between you and your mate, our diesel has all the noise and heat 40 feet behind us and it goes aft, you can actually hold a conversation in a normal tone, theres a lot to weigh, good luck in your dicision, Mike & Janet

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #17

I believe there has been some great improvements in the gas engines used in the newer motorhomes. Our Allegro is 33.5 LOA and with the V-10 we have no problems with hills/mts. Actually, I've found I have to watch the speed or I can easily be going faster than I want. The down side is the noise when climbing a long grade. Having said that, if I was looking at 37 ft and above I believe a diesel would be worth the extra cost and needed for the additional weight. But for a smaller coach such as ours, the V-10 has worked out just fine. Good luck.

RJ
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #18

We went from a Ford 34 foot to a 35 foot DP. Love the new RV, but really miss the Ford V-10 screaming at 4500 RPM up Raton Pass.

N Dienes
Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 45ft Newmar Essex. 5.4 MPG at 75mph towing a Ford Explorer and 7.8 at 60 MPH. Do my own oil change. 40 qts of Rottella and $30 filter. Flat gets up and goes. comfortable to drive, climps hills and if I didn't know how to work on it I wouldn't own it.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel Operating Cost

I have owned two diesel pushers, on my second and while the power and air ride is great I think you more than pay for. I can rely on 10 mpg with my 330 Cummings that is only the tip of the cost. Dealer oil change $425. to $500 if they can talk you into some other mystery will perform. A friend of mine just had his radiator flushed on a 400 Cummings. The total cost was $560.00 total, that included the coolant. I have had a number of cost quotes that I thought excessive and I believe it is because of the down turn in the industry, they have to get the money from somewhere, so they up the maintenance. Probably a diesel is still preferable but to reduce the outrageous maintenance cost plan on more of the work your self. I paid Camping World $85.00 for an oil change on my diesel Onan generator, 3 Qts of oil and a $7.00 filter, the kid who did it didn't even have the proper tool. When I complained they assured me that was the standard for the industry. That was the last time. If you go diesel look at the Tiffin products. They have a new front end diesel(FRED) entry level and then there is the Phaeton. I believe they have an Allegro Diesel also. Good Luck Charlie
Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #21

I'm looking at a 2008 Sightseerer +/-34' Gas 3 slides
What kind of gas milage could I expect? (in US or IMP)

Also, in 2008...was Sightseerer at the top, bottom or middle of their model list?
thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #22

Expect somewhere in the 7 to 7.5 for mileage. The Sightseer is second from the bottem in the gas lineup.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
A motorhome is ------------the greatest invention since sliced bread.
Based on my wife's description of me when I use this expression, you're an old geezer, too! And I'm not that old.

A motor home is like a sailboat. The two best days of an owner of either are the day he gets it and the day he sells it.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post

A motor home is like a sailboat. The two best days of an owner of either are the day he gets it and the day he sells it.
Nah...

A motorhome is like a wife (or husband)....
  • At First, they are beautiful and function to meet your every need,
  • Then you discover all the "hidden defects",
  • Then, you spend considerable time working out those defects...
  • Then you learn the true meaning of "maintenance",
  • All the way there are bumps, and collisions, and things breaking and wearing out,
  • And you rack up the miles together,
  • And after a while, you look at every scratch, dent, crack, rattle and squeek and smile because you were there to experience them together.
Now none of you tell my wife I wrote this because she still believes me to be a crochety old guy who cares more for mechanical things than people..I's just that I understand things better in mechanical terms...

Post Script....

And if you ever decide to "trade for a newer model"......

It's gonna cost you DEARLY $$$$$$$$$
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
When I traded our 35' Dolphin in on the 36"DP we had to leave half our "stuff" home. More weight capacity but less room. We go up the hills faster and don't have to worry about the brakes going down the hills. We can talk without yelling over the engine noise and all the stuff (whats left of it) rattleing around.
I saw a bumper sticker "if you don't go first class, your kids will" is the day I started looking for the DP.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #26
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I saw a bumper sticker "if you don't go first class, your kids will" is the day I started looking for the DP.[/QUOTE]

AMEN
Old 11-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Where does the drain oil go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
I think Anne & Gene answered your question pretty accurately. Oil & filter change is going to be at least 5x what you would pay of r a gas engine, in the $250-$350 range. I do my own and I pay $75 just for the oil (7 gallons) and another $28 for the filter. Throw in a fuel filter or two, and a $100+ air filter every two years, and the occasional coolant filter, hydraulics filter, etc. and it gets pretty steep. My last 24 month full service at the Freightliner factory was almost $900 (included a coolant change-out).
What do you drain the oil into? What do you do with the drain oil? I would do my own if I had the answer to those two questions.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
What do you drain the oil into? What do you do with the drain oil? I would do my own if I had the answer to those two questions.
I have two 5 gal. oil drain pans to catch the oil and transfer it to a plastic diesel jug (6gal.) which holds most of it. Here in Portland Oregon we can dispose of it at the Metro recycle & hazard waste center, no charge.