Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with most of you. Buy what you are comfortable with. My 06 Allegro Bay gas makes 8 mpg or more, about the same as a comparable diesel. It does not have air bag suspension, but it rides just as smooth. I do my own oil changes and service, use synthetic oil, 8 quarts, $32. I find the initial cost, pre owned was abouth $5k less than a diesel, so I say "to each his own."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #30

cost of owning and operating a diesel rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
What do you drain the oil into? What do you do with the drain oil? I would do my own if I had the answer to those two questions.
we got a plastic bucket trash tub type container, i think from fred meyer to drain the oil into, make sure it will hold all the oil cause you dont want to have to change containers while hot oil is draining. also make sure the container will fit under the motor gracefully and if you have room, put a creeper under the container so you can roll it out from under the coach easier. most towns or counties has a recycle station, usually at a transfer station to take used oil, a lot of them are free. poke a hole in the bottom of the oil filter befor unscrewing it, and let it drain in the container, that will make the filter easier to handle since it is probly going to be in a awkward place and hot. if you change the fuel filter, pay attention because some have to be primed, our cat does and if not it will never start, your motor manual will tell you hoe to do it....or ask someone who has done it

Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
What do you drain the oil into? What do you do with the drain oil? I would do my own if I had the answer to those two questions.
I have 2 - 5 gallon contaniers with lids. To get rid of the oil most national auto parts stores will take the oil, Kragen, Pep Boy's etc. To lube mine I purchased an air grease gun from Sears which makes the job alot easier than hand pumping it.

Not only do you save $ you know its done right, especially the lube part. The first time I took mine to get the oil changed I watched them and when they were lubing it they did not fill the slip joint ,so I asked the kid to please check it to make sure it was filled and he didn't know what I meant, so I had to show him how to check it. On my MH you are supposed to lube the slip joint every 5 k miles.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of their galvanized drip pans that is about 3ft by 6 ft. Go to the laundry department and pick out 2 of their 17 QT gray plastic tubs. If you have an ISM it holds 41 Qt (Ten Gallons). Set the pans on the drip pan, pull the plug and when one gets 2/3rds full slide the other under. When its done you can slide the tray out and dump the oil into a container.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I agree with most of you. Buy what you are comfortable with. My 06 Allegro Bay gas makes 8 mpg or more, about the same as a comparable diesel. It does not have air bag suspension, but it rides just as smooth. I do my own oil changes and service, use synthetic oil, 8 quarts, $32. I find the initial cost, pre owned was abouth $5k less than a diesel, so I say "to each his own."
Months ago I test drove several gassers on W22 chassis and one Ford product followed by a test drive of a 2004 Winnebago Journey DP. I walked away from the test drive with the biggest smile on my face. The DP was so quiet and the ride was superb. There was no comparison between the gassers and the DP. However, after reading many threads on this forum and others, I still wasn't convinced that we needed to buy a DP.A couple of weeks ago I test drove a 2005 Winnebago on a W24 chassis. It was a nice ride. Immediately after driving the Winnie I drove a 2002 Newmar DP. There was no comparison in the ride. The ride in the DP was awesome.There is no way that the ride in a gasser is comparable to the ride in a DP with airbag suspension. The DP's are so solid and seem to grip the road better.You say, and I quote "It does not have air bag suspension, but it rides just as smooth." I've got to disagree with you.I think about my test drive and still get a grin on my face.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
My 06 Allegro Bay gas makes 8 mpg or more, about the same as a comparable diesel.
The only problem with that. Is there is no Diesel engine to compare the GM 8.1L 450 Lb-ft torque to.

The smallest Diesel used in most Class A's would be the Cummins 5.9L or bigger ISB with 660 Lb-ft torque.
And it makes 10 MPG or more.
The new engine has up to 750 Lb-ft peak torque from 1,600 to 2,600 RPM.

The GM peak 450 torque only last from around 3,400 to 3,600 RPM. It is much less at any other RPM.
Quote:
I do my own oil changes and service, use synthetic oil, 8 quarts, $32
How many times do you change the oil compared to the ISB every 15,000 miles with 17 qt.
I do my own changes with Rotella at a $50.25 oil cost.
Quote:
I find the initial cost, pre owned was abouth $5k less than a diesel, so I say "to each his own."
You probably will find in about 5 years. The $5k more diesel will be worth 6-7k more then the gas. And be easier to sell or trade off.

But no matter if you buy a gas or diesel rig. They all are going to depreciate a lot every year. So not one of us are saving any money, no matter what they bought.

Is a gas really cheaper to buy? My experience may be different then yours.
In 2002 I bought from a dealer a used 3 year old DP for 11k less, then what he wanted for a new 2002 gas A, with the 8.1L & Allison.

By today's NADA retail price between the same two MH's. My 10 year old DP is worth $2,508 more then the 7 year old gas. So did I save $13,508 by buying the DP?
Even though in 7 years my DP has depreciated almost $48k?
Or could it have been a $59k depreciation if I went with the gas.

Did I say I love my air ride, exhaust brakes, quiet ride, torque and over 10 MPG.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #35

This is the way I see it there is some very nice looking gasers out on the market that will get to the camp site just fine, will they have the same power up the hills no will they have the same ride no will their motors last as many miles no are they cheaper to maintain tell they die yes with that said if you love the power and the ride of a DP and if you can afford it go for it if not you will get there just fine. I have friends that on planes I don't care about mileage as long as it is full.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #36

The contributing factor between gas and a pusher for us was the GVWR. The new gas coaches are loaded to the hilt allowing for less gear and passangers than the DP. The second was how long the engine would last. DP could go 250K without a rebuild I doubt that any gasser could do the same. Ask yourself if you could do more driving and see all of north america, would you? If you caught the bug like me then think about traveling all 4 seasons--I love RVing in the winter in Mammoth-- something I did not expect because I thought RV was for just 2 or 3 season sport. I have made just about every mistake. The worst being the 3 gassers before my aqua hot DP in the last 7 years. If you can buy a RV that can accomidate everything you want to do even if you can get to it in the forseeable future you wont even go to the RV shows anymore. I guess the bottom line is try not to buy more than one unit and think about places outside of the bell curve.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #37

Don't even try to justify a DP by costs of fuel or oil. The only way you can justify it is by liking it and using it. We have a "91" Beaver Marquis with a big Cat, loaded with a toad 36,000 lbs and we get 9.6 mpg and with 1,225 ft lbs torque, air ride with automatic air leveling, Jake brakes, gun burner oil fired hot water heat, which provides never ending hot water for showers, full time AC power, oh and did I mention the motor 40 feet behind us with all the noise going aft, you can actually hold a conversation in a normal tone. I'll give you I cring when I change oil and filters, but as soon as I fire that Cat and hit the road its all worth it. If I was smart I'd probly have one of them new gassers. With all that weight and power and the easy ride it gives you, you can put 500 miles a day on and still go dancing, at least if I danced I could. So basicly I think you have to deside what you want from a Motorhome and forget about the costs.
Mike and Janet Ingham
1991 Beaver Marquis
2002 Suzuki Toad
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here Here I am with you guys!
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Craig,
At 9K miles per year, all your chassis, fuel and engine maintenance will be annually. With the same mileage and all other things being equal my gut feel says your routine maintenance cost will be over double what the gas coach would cost.

That being said, I think you may be focusing on the wrong cost point. One purchases a coach because it meets their needs. Floor plan and other creature comfort amenities are the main considerations. For me, the only reason I have a diesel powered coach is our coach requirements could not be satisfied with a gas powered coach. To me, the fuel used to power the coach is way down the list of important things to consider. The coach's main job is to be our home away from home. What happens when we are stationary is much more important that the type of engine used to get us from one CG to the next.

Consider choosing a coach that meets your housing and towing needs. This may require a diesel engine.
Gary, I wish EVERY prospective owner would take your comments to heart. Unless you drive your coach each and every day, the "Livability" factor should be first on the list.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Over the past 45 yrs I have had 3 truck campers on ford gas and diesel pickups, a gas A motorhome, a 30ft 5th wheel trailer and now have a34ft dp. Cost always plays a part must be able to fit it in to the buget. That said we drive what we like. Considering I do all my own work, the truck campers are least costly and the dp the most by far. So why do we stay with dp because that is what we like now. Would not go back to any other. Good luck rving