Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #15

I have a Fred. Guess I'm in the middle.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #16

And I will be dead-on honest.
I get 11 mpg avg with my Fred, towing a Wrangler

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Clayobx......20 GALLONS of oil? what kind of engine and pan do you have in that rig? I have a 400 ISL and it holds about 7.3 gal. I am hoping you meant to say quarts....LOL
Your correct! Meant to say "20 plus quarts."
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
You all may not believe this and if I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it either. But I have a friend that bought a 42' Thor Tuscany with a 450 commins a few months back and he is getting over 12 MPG (hand calulated and computer calculated). he now has 5-6K miles and is still getting over 12 MPG. I didn't think that was possible. He doesn't tow and drives about 60-62 MPH.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
You all may not believe this and if I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it either. But I have a friend that bought a 42' Thor Tuscany with a 450 commins a few months back and he is getting over 12 MPG (hand calulated and computer calculated). he now has 5-6K miles and is still getting over 12 MPG. I didn't think that was possible. He doesn't tow and drives about 60-62 MPH.

Sorry, I just cannot believe that. No disrepect implied.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I don't much try to figure out our mielage because we are going anyway. I can say that the 350hp Cummins diesel gets at least a couple MPG better than the V10 gas we had in a MH half the weight. So even though diesel is more expensive we get a little more bang for the buck.

Yes maintenance is more costly. 24 qts of oil and a $25 filter every 10,000 or yearly. We have yet to get the mileage before the time. Two fuel filters at about $17 that are good for 2 years but I change them out yearly just in case. The V10 took 6qts and a $5 filter. We never got to the mileage to change a fuel filter. That is just the beginning but an example of the difference between gassers and DPs.

The air ride and power in a DP are superior but you have to consider how long your voyages will be. Also as noted the longevity of diesels are much better than gas. Keeping the rest of the rig in one piece is a different story.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am currently in a 5th wheel which I like. The costs seem very very low. I am now thinking my threshold for cost to own can be higher. I am only interested in cost of ownership after purchase. (The purchase price I do know). Insurance, fuel mpg, license plates, maintenance, etc. Just trying to get an idea how much things cost.

After purchase price of 5th wheel and truck I have spent $100 on oil change and front tire rotation. $450 insurance for both truck and trailer.

This was for one year of ownership. 6,000 miles on the truck and 3,000 miles on the trailer.
Back to the original question, I see that the 5er only traveled 3000 last year, so I have to wonder, is something going to change soon allowing you to triple or quadruple that usage?

Then, another thought is that gas and diesel motor homes are really difficult to compare. I don't think it fair to look at only the "cost of ownership" without looking at that in relationship to what you're getting? In other words, you need to know bucks spent for bang received in order to come up with a fully informed decision! You can't just look at the costs for each? Are you thinking the comfort and handling an air bag suspension in a DP is not worth more than the springs in a gasser? Air brakes, brakes heavy enough to actually stop you with peace of mind? What about the exhaust brake? Those that have experienced the use of these while traveling in hilly or mountainous areas already know how these can be real game changers. A definite positive regarding diesel power? There's a ton more to the differences, diesel vs. gas thing. Those are just the tip of the iceberg.

Last thought and I'll quit. Will you still have a need for the pickup in your daily life, once it's no longer a necessary part of your RVing? If you will, the jump to a MH is going to increase your costs quite a bit - if not only for the fact you'll now have another vehicle to maintain and insure. A big one. If you will not need it, have you considered replacing it with something that might be used as a toad - to offer the conveniences of having something like that with you while traveling, and maybe able to get significant mileage numbers?

Best of luck regarding your decision(s)! Hope you'll post back with your results, and how you arrived at them? I know how I got here, think it's fun to compare that with other thoughts....
-Al
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #22

Hey Al - thanks a very good points. I know you get what you pay for. And I think it is fair to say that a DP will cost approx $1200 more per year just in ownership cost. The replies I got were great and did help to know what to expect.

What will happen is my DW will retire that is why the mileage is double. But even with that I do not plan to keep running the rig east and west. But will run it north and south seasonally. Probably go west and spend 2 or 3 (or who knows) years then come back east to one of our base camps in Pa.

I guess to peel the onion one mire layer I want to make sure the 'hassle' of ownership was tolerable. I do not want something that every time I turn around it needs fixed or go into the shop.

The truck and 5th wheel set-up that I have now seems to be zero hassle and I am thinking I can stand more hassle...but do not want too much hassle.

I guess my next post will be to the full-timers. If the MH needs to go into the shop (I am thinking all maintain. is shop stuff if full-time since I will not have a garage and a ton of tools that I have now).
Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #23

Thanks to all that answered this post - it was very helpful.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #24

Most people with DP's spend a lot more on maintenance than they need to. Do the maintenance when needed and not by time. I have my oil tested and change it when needed, not every year. Almost 3 years now and it still test good and no change needed. Why change air filter or coolant every three years if not needed. Use ELC coolant and it's good for life and not expensive to change over to ELC. Air filter- change when needed, use the filter minder and change it when it needs it, not by time. Hours of usage determine when it needs changing, not time. My filter has over 30k miles and 4 years on it and still shows only 12" of vacuum on the minder, so why change it? I probably spend a fourth or less than most dp owners by using common sense instead of time table.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tuffr2...I can't let this pass without adding my thoughts on this. I agree with almost everything that has already been written here but I think they left out one important item: The pleasure of driving a diesel pusher on a Freightliner chassis. I have owned six motorhomes over a period of 36 years. The first three were gassers and I was relatively satisfied with power, handling and ride. (or so I thought) Then, I got behind the wheel of a DP and took a fairly long test ride...I knew I'd never go back to a gasser. The difference is night and day. I am far happier with my coach and the higher maintenance costs than I would be in a gasser, no matter what the costs were!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Tuffr2...I can't let this pass without adding my thoughts on this. I agree with almost everything that has already been written here but I think they left out one important item: The pleasure of driving a diesel pusher on a Freightliner chassis. I have owned six motorhomes over a period of 36 years. The first three were gassers and I was relatively satisfied with power, handling and ride. (or so I thought) Then, I got behind the wheel of a DP and took a fairly long test ride...I knew I'd never go back to a gasser. The difference is night and day. I am far happier with my coach and the higher maintenance costs than I would be in a gasser, no matter what the costs were!
I totally agree with your assessment. I feel very safe behind the wheel of our KSDP on it's Freightliner chassis. good luck in your search for your perfect MH.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #27

Have been following this thread, for even though we have a 37ft gasser and definitely enjoying it,(put in over 70 nights this past season), we are closing in on retirement and already having that "next one", gasser/DP discussion. The cost issue to us has not been the real issue (not that we have money to burn). We have never worried about the mpg and have figured out our daily cost to travel in our Class A instead and compared it to travelling by car and or car/air, hotel/condos and meals. Last trip (just over 5000 miles return) our hourly costs of travelling a standard 400 mile day was $28-30/hr. Ran her at about 62-65 mph. Add in camping fees and food we prepared and it was pretty much a wash when compared to doing the same trip by car (few years back, $12/hour to run, hotels, eating out almost every meal). So I guess it all comes down to the ride. Million dollar views through that big windshield and priceless friends we have met at many a campground across this continent have qualified our choice of travel. I'm sure you have found this also travelling with the 5th. Now to the question of gasser/Dp. Only thing I can come up with is the ride and is it worth it since there are benefits and draw backs of either type. The DPs are smoother and more solid in the wind. As stated I have a gasser now but believe that our next one may be a DP.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #28

It seems every few years all RV types get nicer. But also more expensive. The new diesel rigs are way too expensive for me. So I am almost constantly comparing new 5th wheels and new gas MH's vs 2007 or 2008 diesel MH's. There are three gas models that at least the floor plan is like a diesel. They are the big gas Newmar Canyon Stars, the older Fleetwood 38P, and now the new Georgetown 378TS. These MH's come on what is pretty much the largest gas chassis. I know, I know, these gas chassis are still smaller than just about any diesel chassis. This is an age old question that I think I got the best answer.

That is : even an old diesel pusher with higher costs are really worth it over a gas coach. The additional cost after purchase is approx. $1,200 a year. That is the number I was looking for.

Thanks